Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:44:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre-amp volume control replacement (Read 1640 times)
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Pre-amp volume control replacement
01/04/22 at 04:17:20

So my old 6/12sn7 preamp has started displaying some strange sounds (unexpected volume changes) when changing the volume. The preamp came with a 24 position resistor attenuator that I think was hand-built by the maker of the amp. Unfortunately, as I move the knob to decrease the volume, sometimes I get a big spike in volume as though something is shorting/jumping. I've pulled the old volume control out, and am wanting to install a new attenuator or potentiometer. The one that I pulled out is a 100k device.

This is a new activity for me; on my prior amp build, I simply used the potentiometer that was provided in my kit. The items that I'm currently looking at include the Audio Note 100K Stereo Volume Potentiometer Log (audio) Taper Solder Lug from Parts Connection, and the GoldPoint v24 in 100k. I was also looking at the items from TKD, but can't find them in-stock. I know that there are Alps and Alphas also around, but I was hoping for something nice and with solderable lugs.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Re: Pre-amp volume control replacement
Reply #1 - 01/05/22 at 03:40:15

IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/22 at 13:54:51

Thank you!

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #3 - 01/10/22 at 15:18:42

Do a search for the PEC carbon pot. They're usually available at Mouser or other similar sources. Very highly regarded, and IF I were going to use a resistive volume control, they would be at the top of my list. Read some of the threads out there concerning them. Back in the day when some of us were modding our Zens they were highly thought of.

That said, however, I have moved into the realm of inductive volume control. Superior to every resistive based type I've heard ( and I've heard a lot of them, including your choices ). If you don't need the isolation provided by a TVC solution, the AVC versions by Dave Slagle at Intact Audio are the way to go if you can fit it and are willing to spend the bucks

Good luck.

Cheers,                Crazy Bill

IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/12/22 at 04:46:14

The PEC was also suggested by my amp designer and suggested it as a possible option for the preamp. I may do this as a mod to my amp.  The Intact Audio control is an interesting option. Unfortunately, they won’t even come close to fitting.
Thanks for suggesting it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print