Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 11:52:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zu Audio Soul Supreme Compatability (Read 2691 times)
Tal
Seasoned Member

Zu Audio Soul Supreme Compatability
11/13/21 at 21:27:58

Does anyone have experience using Soul Supremes with the UFO2? These speakers have peaked my interest due to the high efficiency (+100db), which should pair well with the low power UFO2. That said, these speakers have 16ohm impedance. To be honest, I don't fully understand impedance. I'm concerned the speaker impedance will be an issue with UFO's 8ohms. Zu sells a 10ohm loading resistor, that will bring the speaker impedance closer to the amp.  Not sure if the resistors will correct compatibility, though   . All input, advice, and opinions is appreciated.

Thanks

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Zu Audio Soul Supreme Compatability
Reply #1 - 11/14/21 at 00:05:22

The UFO transformers have a Hi-Lo switch which helps with the Zu's high impedance.
The Zu's are around 95 dBs 1w/1m, so they will get pretty loud with 2 watts.
The resistors Zu sells are a waste of money.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 11/14/21 at 02:55:22

My 2 cents is they would be a perfectly reasonable match electrically with a UFO amp. My thing is, and I have never heard them myself, but my impression from a number of on-line discussions is they have a "house sound" that a lot of people feel strongly about one way or the other. The people that like them really like them, and it seems like the people that don't really don't.

When I was in the market for UFO friendly speakers a couple years ago I considered them, but settled on Omega instead and have no regrets at all. JMO/FWIW/YMMV.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/14/21 at 04:32:56

Zu Druid V owner here; they're also 16 ohms. I'll respectfully disagree with Lin about the loading resistors. I bought 2 sets of the Ohmite 25ohm 20W resistors, and I've experimented with them on every amp I've run through the system, which includes a Decware SE34i.2+. Adding the resistors will change the frequency response curve, which is neither good nor bad; it just depends on the rest of your system and your listening preferences. Some amps I've tried sound best with no resistors on the Druids; some sounded best with one set (11.1 ohms), some with two sets (7.7 ohms). There's no magic formula to get the "right" sound; you just have to trust your ears.

All that said, I predict you'll love the Zus with the UFO2. Have fun!

David

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #4 - 11/16/21 at 02:32:20

I have zu druid vs with mono block  ufo2s.   The sound great.  Without any resistors, I get clipping at decibel levels close to 100.  

Your mileage may vary depending on room size and listening levels.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/16/21 at 05:13:55

martin

Great to hear. your set up is similar to mine - bridged UFO2. Questions - are  your Druids 12ohm or 16ohm? I believe the IV is 12 and the V is 16.

Thanks

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/16/21 at 15:29:55

I didn't notice that you are using 2 amps ("bridged" Huh), this reduces the high impedance speaker concerns.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print