Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:21:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Martin logan motion 35XT (Read 1879 times)
garcur
Verified Member

Martin logan motion 35XT
11/01/21 at 13:30:36

Has anyone used the martin logan 35XT speakers with the UFO 2?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: Martin logan motion 35XT
Reply #1 - 11/01/21 at 17:18:13

Garcur, IMO you may be pushing it. You'll likely want a more efficient speaker than 92db. In my case, somewhat similar, I found my Taboo MK IV that was sold to be too lean and running out of steam too many times than not in my small room with 95db speakers, and that was running everything wide open [ preamp, amp, zbit with a 4.5v source].

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/01/21 at 17:48:20

Hmmm. That makes me go Hmmm because using the same amp and less efficient speakers (HR-1) I can fill a 24 x 30 area and still have headroom, more than loud enough. Yes, there are the more powerful amps, I lived with Toriis for years, but I think the Taboo and Zen sound better, or I like the sound better.

I would ask Steve in a conversation about these speakers and see what he says. My two cents.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/01/21 at 18:19:47

If the numbers are to be believed (that is a big IF), the MLs would require 2 watts to be as loud as the HRs with 1 watt.

As always with lower power amplifiers it comes down to, how loud do you listen?
At 80 dBs or 100?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/01/21 at 18:37:36

Or how bad your hearing is and how bad you want it to become. Wink

I'm not sure about the numbers. . .my HR-1 are about 92.5 db efficient. Steve is the best adviser on this. . . busy as he is.

I just hate to see people saying "go bigger" all the time. The magic is in the lower power in my experience. I kept moving down after moving up.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/01/21 at 22:11:25

After years of reading these kinds of posts, I conclude that Lon has very sensitive hearing and a super low noise floor.  Loudness is so subjective that unfortunately this question really can't be answered without a home audition.  

I'm on my 3rd pair of speakers since getting my Decware gear.  I'd pick the amp you want and then adjust things as required.  If the speakers are non-negotiable then sweat a little over the amp.  Steve has a chart somewhere that I'll post if I can find it.

Found it!

https://www.decware.com/newsite/buyingguide.html

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print