04/25/24 at 13:20:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY studio system (Read 785 times)
M_P
Verified Member

DIY studio system
11/12/21 at 17:09:27

Hi everyone. I’m new here; this is my first post. I’ve recently renewed an earlier-in-life interest in music listening and am about to complete a new desktop system when my UFO2 arrives (should be soon—as of this writing I’m third on the list). The new system will consist of streaming through ROON via a Mac Mini > Schiit Modi3+ > SE84UFO2 > Omega CAMs. I’m looking forward to it.

I’d like to create a system for my studio too (I’m a documentary photographer). It’s a large, hard space 16’ wide, 16’ high, 32’ deep—part of an old cotton mill. There’s really not much opportunity to acoustically treat this space. I do have a small living area type arrangement at one end with an upholstered chair and area rug, but they are the only soft surfaces on tap. The floor and ceiling are both made of wood at least 4” thick with wide-spaced large support beams. The walls are sheet rock. Very little exposed glass, fortunately.

I’d like to employ my somewhat rusty skills—I’m a retired cabinetmaker—to build a set of high-efficiency speakers for this space. So, is there any advice you might offer on DIY speaker designs suited for a space like this. Near-field designs seem appropriate to me since the surfaces are hard, but I only know enough to be dangerous so am open to any and all suggestions. BTW, I’d like to keep cost down to a dull roar too—maybe a $1000-$1500 budget.

I also have rudimentary soldering skills (Heathkit from long ago and Bottlehead Crack recently) and would like to build an amplifier for above mentioned speakers. Tubes are my first choice—I like the glow and the sound ;o) If you have ideas on low power, sweet sounding amplification in kit form that adds a few hundred bucks to my previously cited budget, I’m all ears. Thanks for reading!

Michael P.

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: DIY studio system
Reply #1 - 11/12/21 at 21:52:36

M_P,

First of all welcome to the forum, you will be able to glean all kinds of info around here.

I'll start with helping you with your DIY speaker quest.

$1500 will buy a lot of home built speaker parts!

Have you looked at the plans that Decware offers?
https://www.decware.com/newsite/decwarediy.html

Look at those first and if nothing fires you up we can discuss other options.

You might want to look at my history of speaker building here.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1463956965

I hack away building speakers fairly constantly, sometimes it works, sometimes not!

Anyway, someone with a few skills can have amazing results if they put the effort in.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/21 at 22:18:44

Hi Donnie, Thanks for the welcome and your thoughts about my speakers. Rereading my original post, I realize I left some parameters out, namely my listening habits.

So, if it matters, I listen at low levels for the most part. I've yet to see over 75DB on my iphone app and it's usually quieter than that. Jazz, international, classical, and lots of female vocals. The Omega CAMs seem to excel at low levels. Even at low volumes the music is clean, clear, and articulate and that's important to me.

I've been following your exploits since I ordered my UFO2 back in January. Your builds are crazy interesting and crazy amusing. And I'll spend some time looking at the Decware plans. I've been drawn to open baffles thinking maybe their simplicity would yield satisfying results at low levels. Truth is, in the studio, I can crank it up a bit if the mood strikes.

And for what it's worth, I'm not too concerned with finished appearance. I got all that out of my system building cabinets all those years. Baltic birch and cabinet screws are appropriate for my style of studio furniture.

Michael

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 11/12/21 at 22:42:53

M_P,

Look real closely at the DNA plans.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/HORN.html

I think that they might be exactly what you are looking for.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/13/21 at 03:58:16

Hello, Michael. I am glad you are here.

"If you have ideas on low power, sweet sounding amplification in kit form that adds a few hundred bucks to my previously cited budget, I’m all ears."

The Jerry Curtis 'Spudkit' has received many good reviews through the years. https://spudkit.com/?page_id=198  Approximately $400 depending on options. He is waiting on parts at the moment, details here http://spudkit.com/?author=1

A high efficiency 12 inch such as the Ciare NDH12-3, plus a 1.4 inch horn driver, maybe the Beyma CD14Nd interest me to make a high eficiency speaker with an impact type of sound. Each is about $250 at US Speaker, plus another $120 for ready made horns for each compression driver. Both Beyma and Ciare make horns that might be top notch for this driver.
I don't know what cabinet, maybe an ultraflex similar to the Decware NFX, or the Decware Pro-12 guitar cab (but probably bigger for Hi-Fi use), or the Supravox ultraflex. Or probably a hundred other cabinet designs. Something to get some Bass emphasized if using a 12" that is designed as a midrange as this one is. I like the idea of using a 12 mid instead of 12 bass as I think this would give a clearer sound. But then the builder has to get his bass some way or other.

Perhaps that is helpful, who knows?
Best wishes, Brian

IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/13/21 at 13:14:02

Donnie, thanks for the recommendation. I'll dig into the DNA plans. I'm curious about the traits of that design that led you to propose it.

Brian, thanks for suggesting the spud. I'll research that as well. And the driver recommendations too.

Now on to look into your suggestions.

Michael

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 11/13/21 at 14:12:41

M_P,

Why I picked the DNA's?

Well because right now I am in the process of picking out my next project and I have became enamored with a horn project and I like to spread the misery around!

Truthfully I believe that a small horn near field speaker at lower volumes would produce a nice punchy sound for you.

I've listened to the DNA's before and was impressed by the sound.

The DNA II's are even more impressive but there are no plans available out there save for some bootleg versions that I can neither admit or deny having a finger in drawing up.
I don't do CAD, but I may or may not control a department of CAD designers that design what their boss tells them to do....

But anyway I believe that a original DNA would be a worthy project. The drivers are reasonably priced and the build doesn't look like any kind of hill for a climber.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print