Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:20:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hailing (as a noun) Canadian Decware owners (Read 1573 times)
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Hailing (as a noun) Canadian Decware owners
08/06/21 at 06:04:51

Greetings all.

Can any one share their experiences in getting Steve's creations into Canada?
I am in Vancouver BC, depending on the site I use the price goes from only exchange rate (I think that would be a NAFTA thing) to almost double the selling price (so full import taxation).

I know this is related to how you rate the item you "import" from the usa since (import code) we have many many agreements with the USA.

I am inherently lazy, if anyone has done the exercise to find the "proper' import code, please share! Smiley

Thanking you in advance,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Re: Hailing (as a noun) Canadian Decware owners
Reply #1 - 08/06/21 at 06:20:28

Decware might like this information stored in a spreadsheet somewhere, to.

Currently listening to:
Leonard Cohen - Here It Is
I am drooling to listen to that stuff on the SET an Andy's baffles.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/21 at 19:46:41

Decware has two shipping options:
1. UPS
2. USPS

DO NOT USE UPS.  USE USPS for shipping into Canada!

UPS will use their clearing house and that will cost far more than the USPS option.

USPS will hand over the shipment to Canada Post who will submit the shipment directly to CBSA.  The only charge that you will get from CBSA is the 13% HST or whatever Provincial tax rate applies.  No duties are charged regardless of import code as long as the item is clearly identified as a USA made product.  Usually this requires a NAFTA Certificate Of Origin although of all the Decware components that I have bought and had imported, new or used, I have never been charged Duty as long as the Commercial Invoice  that Decware provides shows that the item is made in the States.  (The NAFTA Certificate is a form the shipper completes)

The one variable to keep in mind is the exchange rate that will be charged.  My CC provider usually adds 3%-4% on the prime rate which is around 20%.  Personally I can’t be bothered with the companies that provide exchange services.  For the difference it’s not worth the aggravation.

Typically the formula you should use is:
Cost of product x exchange x duty IF applicable, in this case 0% x GST/HST + shipping cost which also needs to be converted to CAD from USD.

One more cost will be Canada Post service fee for the above which typically is $45.00CAD if one is charged.  UPS Brokerage fee and service fee will be considerably more.

Brokers work on either a flat rate or value based system.  Flat rate gives the best rate by far.  But you have to import a lot to get flat rate costs.  The company that I work for imports a lot from the States.  The Canada Post service fee is only $20.00 more than the flat rate we get billed by our broker regardless of the value of the shipment.

I could find “creative” ways to by pass the system.  I do not and will not.  Trust me when I say it’s not worth it!

As for shipping costs, the USPS costs are “reasonable” especially in the current environment in which shipping costs are going through the roof!  A good portion of the cost will be insurance if you choose to insure, which also is recommended.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/21 at 21:46:40

Joman,

That is fantastic information, thanks.

And I agree it is not worth trying to be creative and then every package with your name would be scrutinized.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print