03/29/24 at 09:22:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headphones (Read 8554 times)
joralieu
Verified Member

Headphones
08/01/21 at 01:21:48

Is there a way to run headphones with the 25th anniversary amp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Headphones
Reply #1 - 08/01/21 at 01:44:21

Contact Steve--he can I believe build a harness to use with the speaker outputs.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #2 - 08/03/21 at 16:17:42

While I don't have a 25th anniversary amp, it will behave just like the standard offerings while driving headphones. I have a SE84B in house, and I only use headphones on it. I took milspec wire ( silver plated stranded  OFC ) 16 gauge and wired up a standard headphone jack in a plastic Rat Shack box. I have about 2 ft of wire between the box and the binding posts.
Looks amateurish, of course, but works like a charm with all of my dynamic cans.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 08/03/21 at 22:11:36

No big ass resistors being used bill, just wire and a jack?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 08/04/21 at 15:17:48

Just wire, the enclosure, and a jack.
When I first started using headphones on the Zen many years ago, I was going back and forth between the cans and my HDT's. I used to place a 12 ohm wire wound across the BP to lower the effective impedance the amp was seeing from the cans. I had read that reflecting a high impedance back to the amp could damage the OPT's. I also read that it didn't matter. So I threw it in there just to be safe. And it sounded glorious.

Fast forward a bit, and one night when switching over to the cans I forgot to put the 12 ohm resistors in ( Damn that second martini ! ). Nothing bad happened. played just as glorious as with the 12 ohm resistors in place. So I never put them back in after that. Don't see a need.

The only need I see for large resistors would be with a higher powered amp that swings more voltage than the Zen. With no resistors you would always be in the area on the volume pot under probably 9:00, where it is not very linear. By placing a large value resistor in series you would lower the volume to the point where you would have to raise it on the volume control, hopefully past 12:00 where the pot is more linear.

Since I use a silver autoformer that's a non-issue for me.

I've used cans with impedances from 25 to 300 ohms or so, and have never had an issue.

Cheers,                     Crazy Bill

IP Logged
tcb-38
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/21 at 20:41:19

Can be someone more specific about this device,please?
I don't see such offer from Decware. I would love to ad headphone capability to my UFO Smiley

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #6 - 08/21/21 at 02:57:29

Mine is a full DIY effort. Took what I had here in wire, bought the Rat Shack box and headphone jack and wired it up. The Zen makes an outstanding headphone amp. The only place I could see it falling short would be driving very insensitive cans, like planars. The Zen simply might not swing enough voltage.

Can you build it if I give you the directions ? I'll walk you through it with photos
There is at least one commercial offering I have seen if you can't DIY, but it is expensive. The DIY build is easy if you can solder.
I'll post a link on the commercial offering if anyone is interested.
Cheers,   Crazy Bill.   Grin

IP Logged
tcb-38
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/25/21 at 23:13:49

Yes Bill,please post a link on the commercial offering.
Thanks

IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/01/21 at 01:43:02

Anyone know what the wood on the 25th anniversary base is finished with?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/01/21 at 02:04:06

From the product page: African Padauk

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/01/21 at 03:11:33

Want to know what they use as the finish on the wood. Oil, varnish urethane etc?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #11 - 10/01/21 at 16:34:10

This thread reminds me of a question that I have, does the choice of wood make a sonic difference?  Also, having never seen (or heard, as yet) a Decware amp, is the African Padauk a remarkably attractive wood?  I have always favored a walnut, but I am curious from those of you that have seen this wood is there something special to the look?  In the long run, it is not the look, but the sound right?  Still, I find some woods absolutely beautiful and others OK.

On the website, the African Padauk is described:

"This wood was chosen because because it has a high hardness and a modulus of elasticity (1,700,000 lbf/in2) that works in a complementary fashion with the high-mass steel chassis to drain vibration from the chassis to the plinth or audio rack it sits on."

Sounds reasonable, but if I preferred the walnut look, would there be a sonic compromise?  I know, it probably depends on my interconnects right? Cool

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/01/21 at 17:29:41

I don't think the wood makes that big of a difference. I custom ordered my 25th with a Natural cherry base that matches my Omega SAM speakers perfectly. It is beautiful to look at and listen to.
Joe

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/01/21 at 17:40:02

Quote:
"This wood was chosen because because it has a high hardness and a modulus of elasticity (1,700,000 lbf/in2) that works in a complementary fashion with the high-mass steel chassis to drain vibration from the chassis to the plinth or audio rack it sits on."

With all due respect, this statement doesn't make any sense vibrationally.  A stiffer wood changes the frequencies that it vibrates at but has nothing to due with vibration dampening.  This term "drain vibration" is used a lot and is not correct.  What is meant is dampening -- turning vibration energy into heat energy.  Wood has some natural dampening but my intuition is that if dampening is what you're after, then a softer, lighter wood is more appropriate.  It takes in less energy to begin with.  Once something vibrates at all, 90% of the battle is already lost.

Pick a wood you like and use isolation platforms if needed.  Good isolation will mostly keep vibrations out of the amp to begin with.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 10/01/21 at 17:55:08

I think that woods certainly make a difference. . . in instruments as "tonewoods". . . but as the "base" for a tubed amp component? No sonic difference, I think even a soft wood would not damp or absorb vibrations very noticably.

Padauk is a very attractive wood in my own opinion and its very hard and dense nature may help it resist scratches a bit better and be a stronger "base" for the component itself and perhaps a slightly better protector. I would (and do) order the wood that you want to look at most. All my components have walnut-stained bases; I had a Taboo Mk III in cherry stain that I bought from ghostrider that was beautiful as well.

IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 10/02/21 at 01:01:50

Still would like know how they finish the wood, I have a couple of Bottlehead amp base's that I need to put a finish on and really like the finish on the Decware.
Joe

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 10/02/21 at 11:24:09

Perhaps Steve or Ziggy will see this question after Decfest.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 10/02/21 at 12:51:47

I asked Ziggy yesterday about the finish, clear lacquer.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/02/21 at 17:19:49

Quote:
I asked Ziggy yesterday about the finish, clear lacquer.

For a small project, those hardware store rattle cans work well.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 11/20/21 at 02:50:05

Back on topic, I still am wanting to use headphones with this amp, need some advise on how to build this cable. I have sennheiser Hd 650 headphones. Do I need resistors in the harness? Should I wire it balanced? Also have audioquest nighthawks, anything different for the harness with these?
Thanks
Joe

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #20 - 11/20/21 at 03:14:00

Hello Joe,
will need a few days, but I'll get back. Senn HD650 is one of the cans I use.
Full weekend of soccer with the grandkids, I'll get back after that.

FWIW, I've got a 10K+ Stax set-up that sits idle because I prefer my dynamic cans driven by my Decware stuff.

Enjoy the holidays,              Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print