Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 12:00:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headphone recommendations for CSP3 w/25th mods (Read 3300 times)
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Headphone recommendations for CSP3 w/25th mods
06/25/21 at 15:36:56

I am hoping that I placed this request in the right place...I am looking for headphone recommendations for a CSP3 with type II beeswax, anniversary mods w/glass resistors.  I have done some research and from what I gather: Massdrop Senheisser HD6XX, Senheisser HD800S, ZMF atticus or ZME eikons are options.  This would be my first experience with using headphones so I appreciate any other thoughts/recommendations for a first time user.  Not looking to spend more than ~$1400 but less would be desirable.  Thanks in advance!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Headphone recommendations for CSP3 w/25th mods
Reply #1 - 06/25/21 at 16:30:52

I have the very same preamp and have been using Sennheiser 800S, ZMF Ori and Oppo PM-1 with that and two other headphone amps in the house.

I have ZROCK2 in these systems as well which make any of them amazing sounding. I'd recommend a ZROCK2 which will allow you to dial in great headphone sound with a variety of headphones. Without a ZROCK2 the Oppo PM-1 have the richest sound, and the ZMF Ori are very close to that with great synergy with the preamp and a warm tonal balance.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/25/21 at 16:32:56

Hi Bob,

I listen almost entirely with headphones, first out of a CSP2+ and now out of a Taboo.

I'd highly recommend starting with the HD6xx, listening for a month or two, and then assessing whether anything is lacking. After 20 years of listening to headphones, the HD6xx/HD650 (at its modest price) is still one of the headphones in my regular rotation next to far more expensive options.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 06/25/21 at 16:35:29

I guess a lot depends on what you're looking (listening) for with your headphones. Do you want more bass extension? bigger headstage? more or less forward sound? Any of the headphones you listed would be a solid choice and I would also consider Audeze and Hifiman. My personal choice is the Senn HD-650 which I think is unbeatable for the $$$. People say it is "soft" or "recessed" but I think it sounds like the amp they using.

Full disclosure, I have a Woo Audio WA22, not Decware  but I find the HD-650 has great bass and detail, and getting a silver cable brought the perspective from about row P up to row G. I listen to mostly classical and jazz FWIW. I've been temped to spend a bunch more money on a "really high end" headphone, but really want for nothing.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/21 at 19:06:51

Thank you kindly for the recommendations.  I might go with the HD6XX route as my first venture.  But I do have a question on planar headphones.  I have seen them with low impedance as low as 25ohms but I have read that they are not recommended for CSP3.  I am not a spec tech savvy music enthusiast so I dont quite understand the impedance matching b/w amp/preamp and speakers/headphones.  I stayed away from these as options based on this but if anyone who owns these (Audezes or Hifiman) and paired with the CSP3, I would appreciate yours thoughts as well.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/25/21 at 19:11:46

I've owned Audeze LCD-2 and own Oppo PM-1 and ZMF Ori--all planar magnetic headphones and have no problem powering them with my CSP2+ with the mods or my CSP3 with the mods. Certainly see if you can try them out. . . they are excellent headphones.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/21 at 19:39:17

Lon,
Thank you!  I read your impressions on the PM-1, ZMF ORis and the LCD Audeze.  Compared to your HD800S, from a volume perspective how were the planars?  
Bob

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/25/21 at 20:07:14

The Oppos get as loud as the Sennheisers. The Audeze get more than plenty loud. The Oris are more power hungry but they get louder than I can stand.

The real difference is comfort. The Sennheiser are the most comfortable of any I have had on my head, the Audeze and Oppo and Ori are comfortable enough for a few hours.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/25/21 at 20:29:48

Thanks Lon! This helps, power hungry was what I was trying to capture.
Bob

IP Logged
out-of-step
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 06/25/21 at 23:13:47

Good suggestions here. The CSPs are suitable for top quality 'phones and are more than powerful enough for most. ZMF Atticus is the bees' knees for me. Just the sound I like and they have a good synergy with OTL tube amps definitely including CSPs. The Sennheiser HD800s Lon has are another fine headphone and probably what I'd have gone for if the Atticus hadn't grabbed my ears. The venerable Sennheiser HD600s are still a good option for a lower price point. At a lower price point, the Meeze 99 Classics may be worth considering.

X
Decware CSP2+ + ZMF Atticus or Sennheiser HD-600 - SEC84C+ + Trapeziums - Pioneer 79DVi or Schiit Bifrost Multibit - WTT + Soundsmith Othello + Schiit Mani - DAG - DHC1s - BJC 10 white - IS500 isolator - Feline Gain Limiter
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/25/21 at 23:31:09

I second the ZMF Atticus. They should really lovely through my CSP2+. Very musical, with a good handle on detail and fun sounding. And they get VERY loud - much louder than I can take with the CSP2+. Cheers,

Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/26/21 at 12:54:17

Thank you everyone!  No matter which HP I choose, I know it will be an informed one!
Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print