Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:52:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Zen Mystery Amp (Read 3586 times)
djaudio
Verified Member

Decware Zen Mystery Amp
06/23/21 at 02:35:37

Hi I am debating on getting the DecWare Mystery AMp or a Mcintosh MA 252. The only bummer is the Decware is 7 month out and they don't respond to emails.  I would hate to put up 7,000 and not be able to contact someone.  

Just a couple of questions

Can this amp work with Salk Song Towers, I don't plan on listening loud.
 Can a turntable hook up to this or can I use my Kenwood KR-7200 with pre-outs?

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Zen Mystery Amp
Reply #1 - 06/23/21 at 03:32:23

I can’t answer all your questions but they respond to phone calls. You should be able to talk to the main man: Steve. He is very accessible. Email is as bad as snail mail as far as they are concerned.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/23/21 at 05:31:21

I see the SongTower listed on Salk's site as: Floorstanding 2-way transmission line 88dB, 4 ohms minimum, 6 ohms average.  The Mystery Amp would have no trouble with that. By all reports I have heard, it will sound better than a Mcintosh amp.

Do you have a phonograph preamp for your turntable? The Mystery Amp is not an integrated design. It does not have a phono preamp built in.

I hope some of that was helpful.
Brian

IP Logged
djaudio
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/23/21 at 10:35:22

I don't have a phono pre amp. Wouldn't  the kenwood work or what phono pre amp would you recommend. I will be using an Empire 598 or Marantz 6300.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/23/21 at 11:33:51

The Kenwood will work but the shortcomings of a 50 year old phono pre will likely be passed thru the Mystery amp. Depending on your situation a ZP3>SE84UFO2>Lii flagship speakers will hands down be >$7000 well spent.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
djaudio
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/23/21 at 15:09:24

hi

thanks for the info.

My main use will be playing my vinyl lps through my empire 589 or marantz 6300 turntable. I will mostly play vintage rock and 80’s music. I just want a nice setup. I will not be playing at loud levels, but I am looking for a very nice sound. I understand vinyl records might not be the best for playing quality, but that is the sound I like.

IP Logged
djaudio
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 06/23/21 at 15:13:44

I forgot to mention the Lii speakers will be too big for my room. I am looking at the same size / footprint as the 8” wide Salks Song Towers

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/23/21 at 15:22:46

My two cents: vinyl playback can be high quality, no shame in wanting to play your records; the Mystery Amp should power your speakers well; a quality phono preamp will make this new amp and speaker combo shine--consider the ZP3 that Steve builds, an awesome component, or perhaps the PS Audio Stellar Phono preamp, which has received remarkable reviews and one of which I believe Mr. Derrick is selling right here at a great price.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
djaudio
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/23/21 at 17:11:30

link or info for mr derrick please

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/23/21 at 17:49:03

I'm sorry it was not Mr. Derrick but alfalover who has one for sale. Link here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1624291750

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/24/21 at 11:27:18

Hi djaudio,
I have not listened to the SongTowers but Dennis the designer was part of our group back in a day. He was very good at crossover design/voicing. Matter of fact he voiced one of my builds that I called the KenSues that are still on display in the family room.
If your room is small and levels low, you could possibly go with ZP3>ZROCK>SE84UFO2>ZSTYX>SongTowers. I have no experience with the ZROCK but there is a wealth of information here on this forum that spins it as the holy grail for rock reproduction with Decware.
This combo will still give you room to keep it under 7Gs by adding DNAs if the SongTowers did not work out. Again, I have not heard the DNAs but single driver speakers have been my favorite for the last 20 years. Speaker orders are on a different timeline.
You might want to consider attending DecFest in October and listen to Steve's offerings with the SongTowers. Or, try giving him a call. It may take a couple of tries but he is accessible and won't steer you wrong.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/24/21 at 15:11:37

I'm not the guy that says you need 1,000 watts, but a 2 watt amp for 86dB 1w/1m speakers with a complex x-o is even below what I have found to work at lower levels.

A Torii Jr II or a Torii should work well.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/25/21 at 13:48:59

Lin,

My Jordans were in the same ballpark as the Seas as far as efficiency. In a TL enclosure the Jordans did well in my 1900 cu/ft room but Lii's Crystal 10s trumped the Jordans.  Granted the Jordans are full range and had no crossovers as well as the Crystals. Dennis use to keep his crossovers component count lean as compared to what I came up with. Never-the-less your point in valid. Wink

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print