Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:50:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware SE84UFO25 vs SE84UFO3 vs Mystery Amp (Read 4827 times)
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Decware SE84UFO25 vs SE84UFO3 vs Mystery Amp
05/11/21 at 23:03:43

Good Evening!
  Looking for input and or opinions from those who know these amps.  I have a Mystery Amp on order and am about 250th down the wait list.  Sarah tells me I probably need to have my mind made up within about 4-5 weeks or so.  The long range plan is to add on a dedicated listening room next year.  However, for now the system and new amp(s) will be in the right half of an open area 640 sq. ft. with 9 ft ceilings.  So, if i do the SE84UFO25, we're obviously talking a pair.  I am listening via my upgraded/modified HR-1's. I am also running a Don Sach's Model 2 line stage with a Cambridge CXC as my CD transport and the CXN (V2) as my digital source.  I sometimes add in a pair of Goldenear SuperSub X's on the lowest settings with great results.  Regarding the amps, I'm not so much interested in the power as I am in the best sound possible.  What say you? And thanks in advance!

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware SE84UFO25 vs SE84UFO3 vs Mystery Amp
Reply #1 - 05/11/21 at 23:27:51

92.5dB with a 4 ohm nominal impedance. I suggest the ZMA or Torii MK4 with 25th Anniversary modifications.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/21 at 00:37:08

That seems like a pretty big space.  My ZMA into HR1s sometimes ran out of gas in my big space so I also recommend the ZMA -- or much more efficient speakers, or both!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/21 at 12:19:25

Stick with your first choice instincts. One doesn't sound "better" than the other. They all have the Decware magic. I've listened to both the ZMA and UFO25TH in my system.

The ZMA from barely audible to well beyond hearing damage levels sounds amazing. Even if you had 95+ db speakers and listened at moderate levels the ZMA is a fine choice.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/21 at 20:10:53

I agree with all of the above.

If power becomes an issue in any form at all, you'll be chasing it forever and wishing to death all the while that you had it.

ZMA or Torii MK 4.

I have a Taboo Mk 4 with 25th mods......meager 3.2 watts....small room and I still need more [single driver speakers are part and parcel of the issue]. So I ordered a Torii MK 4 with 25th mods and got it over with, plus the added adjustability of the Torii is a huge added bonus [bass, treble, feedback recovery, voltage regulator tubes].

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/13/21 at 21:07:41

Thanks for the responses.  Can't say I'm surprised.  In the back of my mind, I tend to agree with your recommendations, especially to stick with the ZMA.  That said, I am going to be able to experiment.  I know someone willing to let me borrow their pair of SE84UFO mono blocks just to see what they sound like in the space.  Since they were offered, I feel like I should at least take the opportunity.  I've also got a couple of friends that want to hear the amp(s).  I have a spare bedroom that we'll turn into a temp listening room as well.  It'll be a few weeks before I can make this happen.  I'll report back on the results.  J

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/13/21 at 21:14:01

Archie, I thought about the more efficient speaker route.  At one point, I even attempted to sell my HR's.  (But that was more about medical bills/issues)  So glad I didn't.  No matter what, I think I'll hang onto them.  Still, I could sell a toy or two to fund something more efficient.  But I also hate the idea of swapping out speakers.  If the dedicated room were in place, it would be much easier.  But again, I have thought of it.  any recommendations on efficient speakers under $4,000?

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/13/21 at 22:42:03

The Li Silver 10s or the Decware DNA2 both are great! Silver 10s are a bit more efficient and probably go a bit lower and the DNA2 plays plenty loud for me and is a little bit more "laid back" in it's presentation. Both are less than $4K!

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/13/21 at 23:17:54

Lazb, are you referring to the Lii Audio Reference Speaker?  I've put on the cans and listened to all the videos Steve has put up with them.  They are intriguing.  I find myself wondering if the bass response I'm hearing can be that good.  Heck, can that single driver in that cabinet be that good.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/13/21 at 23:45:28

My humble opinion, yes, they go that low and yes, they are that good. I think they are an absolute bargain, especially at their price point!

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/14/21 at 00:23:04

Thanks for the response.  I would love to hear them in my current setting.  Sadly, without a purchase of same, that's not likely to happen.  Making it worse, since we upgraded the HR's, I'm sure they sound better. Still letting them perk for a while longer before I say more.  But.... time will tell.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/14/21 at 00:58:09

Quote:
any recommendations on efficient speakers under $4,000?

Have a look at Randy's open baffle speakers or DIY like I did with the F15s.  They are huge but I put away my anniversary modified HR1s because of them.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/14/21 at 01:53:23

Archie, are you talking the Fast 15 pair or the 15 Bass single baffle with the W-15 driver?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/14/21 at 02:40:29

The F15 full range drivers.  I used the big baffle but results seem to be good with a variety of baffle sizes.  What got my attention was where in the "Big Betsy" thread Steve said they kicked every speaker he had to the curb.  My DIY version cost me labor and about $500.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/16/21 at 00:40:25

Thanks Archie,
Yeah.... spoke to Randy about the OB’s.  Would like to hear those too.  Doubtful they would pass the “wife’s aesthetic” look.  However, the price is certainly right.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/16/21 at 00:51:50

My F15 OBs are ugly, no doubt, but how they sound more than makes up for looks.  IMO, visual aesthetics shouldn't overrule aural aesthetics when considering audio equipment.   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/17/21 at 16:26:25

Archie, Not sure they're ugly.... I would say my wife sees them as non traditional; or not what she is used to.  That said, my son in law has a knack with wood working.  He says MDF is more dense than most plywood.  Googled that thought and some so called experts are in agreement. Over the weekend, he suggested we glue up 2 X 3/4 MDF and cut out a set of baffles and then veneer them. He suggested we go with a barrel shape roughly 25 x 48.  What size are yours?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print