Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 16:23:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO paired with Klipsch RP600M (Read 8562 times)
Paul W
Verified Member

SE84UFO paired with Klipsch RP600M
04/21/21 at 15:44:53

Hello, has anyone had experience pairing a SE84UFO with the Klipsch RP600M? The spec sheet states 96 db efficiency, but reviews indicate a real world efficiency of around 90 db. Room size would be small/medium. Wondering if they would be efficient enough with a single SE84UFO amp. I am hoping to be able to play them fairly loud. Thanks!

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO paired with Klipsch RP600M
Reply #1 - 04/21/21 at 16:13:36

Not exactly, in my case I had a SE34I.4 paired with RP-160Ms which I believe are the earlier version of the RP-600M. Sitting 15 away in a 18X14 room they did provide a fairly immersive experience and good volume and that’s with a 6dB loss because of the distance. I also ran a R-10SW sub off the aux output to augment the 40hz and lower frequencies. Later I did my own hillbilly test on those speakers and I measured 95dB at one meter with 2.8v on my Fluke meter using pink noise. I know that’s not an industry metric with calibrated test gear but it’s a real world in the room measurement. That makes me believe the published specs are pretty close.

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/21/21 at 22:54:30

I’ve got the SE84UFO powering some Klipsch RB-61 IIs, which are also an earlier version of the RP-600m speakers, and it gets plenty loud.  In my small 11x11 room, they’re a fantastic pair.  I did try them in a larger 13x16 living room, and they played plenty loud there, so you should have no problems.  

I am thinking of picking up a pair of RP-600m’s and doing the GR Research mod on them - definitely something you might consider, as well.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/21/21 at 23:25:43

Hey gsanger,
I was thinking the same thing because my objection to the 160 was the tweeter and the 600 has that new rear vented titanium unit. When I asked Danny about using his crossover mod he said the nominal sensitivity was going to be 89dB. Food for thought.

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/21 at 01:39:33

Thanks for the heads up!  For my use in the 11x11 room, I’m certain they would still be plenty loud.  The other speakers I have on hand are vintage JBL L40s, and are about 88dB efficient.  They need some love, but got plenty loud with the Zen.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #5 - 04/22/21 at 03:17:52

I use the 341.5 w/ the RP600M in my nearfield room (12x13x9) w/ great success, excellent volume and often times do not bother to add my subwoofer, I just don't feel the need. My listening levels are relatively moderate, w/ mostly Blues, Jazz, vocals, vintage rock and some POP & rap once in a while. I have also used them w/ 3wpc but that was a different brand amplifier. Nonetheless the speakers performed at 3-6 wpc. Good luck and happy listening

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 04/22/21 at 05:52:03

Paul,

First off welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately I have  no real world experiences with that amp or those speakers.  

One question I have is what is your definition of pretty loud?  Everybody has a difference of opinion on what loudness constitutes since we all hear a bit differently.  75 dB may be on the quiet side to you, and loud to others.  If you can… download a decibel meter app on your phone and take some dB readings, and then report back.  

Also...what type of music do you normally listen to...classical, jazz, rock, instrumental, opera etc etc, and how loud you like each of those genres.  This will help with others who reply back with a more accurate answer.  

When I originally placed my order the for the SE84UFO25, I was pairing it with the Decware ERR speakers, which are about 90 dB efficient.  After much debate with my room size, and how loud I like to listen to music, it was determined that not only did my speakers need more watts to fully shine, I would not have the headroom that I was looking for when I wanted to crank things up.  With the advice of guys like Will, Lon, HockessinKid, Palamino, and others, and then a final talk with Steve, I decided to change my order to the Torii MKIV, which I will take delivery on Friday.  👏👏👏.

I am not suggesting to change your order, but just trying to help you hone in more closely on your scenario, and get the necessary information you need to make an educated decision.   I hope this helps, and good luck.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/22/21 at 08:15:15

Dom,

Prepare to be gobsmacked.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
bobc

Reply #8 - 04/22/21 at 12:19:16

I run them with a clone I built. They sound great. Play with plenty of volume. Placement matters, and if you are careful, the bass is decent. I use them relatively near field. I put a pair of ATS panels behind each one, which really helped the bass. (a foot from rear wall) I found that using 6P15 output tubes really dialed in the treble. Check out the Stereophile review. They boogie and are a lot of fun for the money.

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #9 - 04/22/21 at 18:39:29

Herb Reichert seemed to really enjoy the SE84UFO paired with the RP600Ms in his review at Stereophile.

IP Logged
Paul W
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/23/21 at 01:58:30

Hello again and thank you to all who have responded. Thank you also for the warm welcome. About 15-20 years ago, I was a regular here. A bit of history, at one time, I owned a Zen Select and loved it. I did not have very efficient speakers, so I order a Decware Integrated. I eventually moved to more powerful amps as I have a love affair with Martin Logan's and Maggies. I still love what that type of setup can do, but I am looking to create a second system with a SE84UFO and efficient speakers. Most likely will go with eventually move to higher quality speakers than the RP600M's but they are an affordable way to start. I downloaded the decibel meter and determined that I sometimes listen at levels that average 84 db during loud sustained sections. I listen mostly to instrumental music. Lots over other genre with the notable exception of hard rock. For those who may be interested, Slickdeals.net has a link to the RP600M for $355/pair, (and other models too!).

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 04/23/21 at 08:18:44

Paul....sounds good.  That definitely helps.  Hopefully those who had already replied, can now give you a more accurate answer on how loud their systems play.  This would give you a better idea of the paring with the Zen amp and the RP600’s.  

While there are a lot of other factors that come into play like room acoustics and low noise floor to name a few, one of the big things is the amount of headroom you have with the amp before it starts to clip.  

If you are at that threshold at your normal listening level, then you could be wanting more if you noise floor increases....like if you have a party and have to crank it up to compete with people talking/laughing etc etc.  if that is not a factor, then I’m sure you would be fine.  If your plan is to eventually move toward more efficient speakers, then that would be a plus.  But...what if you want a less efficient speaker in the future....then it may be a no go.    I bring this up thanks to HockessinKid, who brought this up to me when I had some concerns.  

Hope this helps and Roger......yes I am chomping at the bit.  The anticipation has been killing me!!  I can’t wait.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
PipHelix
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/23/21 at 20:32:06

From what I’ve read, the GR mod to the RP600M’s is not that exciting.

For whatever reason, Klipsch designed those speakers with that weird dip from 1kHz-3kHz. If you want speakers without that, then there are literally thousands of others to choose from. By the time you buy the speakers and buy the mod, you could get into a pair of Zu’s.

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #13 - 04/27/21 at 18:26:26

Se84 clone. RP600m. Blusound Node 2i. I listen at about 7-8 foot. Speakers are spaced about the same.

89db peak. Just before clipping is noted on meters.

IMG_2902.PNG
  IP Logged
Paul W
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 04/27/21 at 20:19:27

Thanks Bobc! Those numbers sound encouraging. My speakers are about 8' apart and I listen about 12' away. I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy the RP600M's. I can certainly be happy  with 80 db if that is all I get.

IP Logged
Paul W
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/17/21 at 00:07:05

Hello everyone. Well I bought the Klipsch RP600M speakers. After hearing tons of rave reviews by respected audio equipment reviewers, I was expecting great things. The reality however was something quite different. The speakers I have been using the most are Swans 2.1 se's (86 db efficiency, also were $600). The RP600M's do NOTHING better than the Swans. They are noticeably more efficient, but not nearly as much as the specs would suggest (96 db vs. 86 db). After listening to them for about 3 minutes, they went back in the box. I do realize that break-in can make a noticeable difference, but there is NO way these will ever come close to my Swans. I am still looking to buy a Decware Zen amp again as it  is a very special amp, but I will need to find another set of efficient speakers that are affordable and sound awesome. Recommendations are welcome. Cheers!

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/17/21 at 20:15:38

I will need to find another set of efficient speakers that are affordable and sound awesome.

The Caintuck Audio Lii 15E is an efficient, 15" open baffle, full range speaker that is both affordable and awesome sounding. I highly recommend it. A number of Decware amp owners have this speaker.

http://www.caintuckaudio.com/Lii_15.html

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print