Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 03:55:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monitor Audio PL-300 in large room (Read 2884 times)
Jonathan
Verified Member

Monitor Audio PL-300 in large room
04/16/21 at 02:00:44

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on whether there is a Decware that will work for my speakers/room.

The speakers are Monitor Audio PL-300 (version 1) rated at 4ohms, 90db sensitivity.
The room is large - 4.48m x 9.0m = 14.7' x 29.5'.
My serious listening happens centred about 3m (10') back from the speakers.

Currently streaming into Schiit Gungnir DAC to
Cambridge Audio Azur 840E/840W  pre/power
(350 watt into 4 ohms)

thanks
Jon

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Monitor Audio PL-300 in large room
Reply #1 - 04/16/21 at 02:52:12

How loud do you listen?
SPL at the listening position.

IP Logged
Jonathan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/21 at 03:04:50

Not loud - as far as I know.
90% baroque / classical / opera / choral, the rest is 60/70/80s pop.

There's a sweet spot with loudness that I go to - when it feels right I stop. Not very scientific, I know.

The pre-amp goes from -95db(ie nothing) to 0db(ear bleeding). My usual level approx -40db.

Jon

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 04/16/21 at 16:27:36

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums!

90dB speakers are not impossible to use with a 2.3 watt Zen, but less than ideal.  The reason is that in order to hit your modest listening volume at a distance of 10' the amp will have to be turned up basically as high as it can go without clipping.   The means that whenever you want to turn it up louder, you won't be able to.

I ran 90dB speakers with a 2.3 watt Zen Triode for over 2 years when all this started in the early 1990's.  It was fine 90% of the time.  The other 10% a little frustrating.  BIG TAKEAWAY here is that I had not heard the speakers I was using on more power.  Had I come off of 350 watts down to 2.3 I just wouldn't have been able to deal with it for as long.

There are two things to consider here -

1) the magic volume when it feels right will come much sooner as you rotate the volume control with a Zen Amp.
2) speakers will disappear better - to a point where they can be pulled as close as 4 feet from your face, pointed right at your head, and with your eyes closed would sound like they were apron 20 feet away in a huge space.

If you willing to deal with these things, then a single amp or even two amps bridged would be ok with those speakers.  It would sound incredible until you run out of power.  The experience would change priorities.  You would find yourself serious about either getting more power or more efficient speakers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jonathan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/21 at 01:42:00

Hi Steve,

thanks for the input. I'd prefer to go for getting it right the first time rather than  being driven by disaffection somewhere down the track. And I do love the PL300 speakers ... I spent a loooong time auditioning before I found them - and they weren't cheap, AND I haven't regretted the money for one moment since. So I'd really like to keep them, though I'm starting to get that there are two worlds in audio ... big watt and small watt and maybe if you're going small you need to go small in amp AND speaker. Mmmm ...

You mentioned two amps bridged ... I noted on the Zen Triode page you have "2 watts per channel stereo or 6 watts mono" ... but I couldn't find anything on the site or manuals about that... could you explain that or is there a paper somewhere?
I guess that would have to make a difference at least in pushing the "I'm missing 350w syndrome" further away?

Also, what about going with one of the TORIIs or the Mystery amp ... I am assume the more watts would make a difference, and I'm assuming the auditory experience is at least similar to the lower watt amps.

thanks
Jonathan.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/21 at 02:30:26

Also, what about going with one of the TORIIs or the Mystery amp ... I am assume the more watts would make a difference, and I'm assuming the auditory experience is at least similar to the lower watt amps.

That is what I would be looking at if I were you.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 04/17/21 at 03:13:47

Quote:
Posted by: Jonathan      Posted on: Today at 01:42:00
Hi Steve,

...You mentioned two amps bridged ... I noted on the Zen Triode page you have "2 watts per channel stereo or 6 watts mono" ... but I couldn't find anything on the site or manuals about that...

It is indeed in the manual, page 17 of the UFO manual or 10 of the UFO25 manual (it is the same for both amps). You need to jumper the speaker terminals and split the inputs so you have two "copies" of the L and R input. I'm using two UFOs as balanced monoblocks (also in the manual) and they sound fantastic.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/17/21 at 03:46:37

Personally I wouldn't spend twice the money for a 3 dB gain (and double the circuitry).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print