Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compatibility (Read 3984 times)
Manny
Verified Member

Compatibility
04/12/21 at 18:06:01

Hello all -
I am new to this forum and relatively new to tubes. Moving from mostly SS and Class D to tubes. My present gear consists of: PS Audio BHK Signature preamp (with a pair of 12 AU7 dual triode Vac tubes - Zero Feedback, balanced input amplification and High Bias Class A Mosfet): a pair of Spatial Audio Labs X3 speakers, 97 dB sensitive ( w/ dedicated N-core power amps driving the subwoofers. (This means the Zen will be taxed less on watts demand), so my curiosity is: Which would be a better option: a) A Zen Triode 25th Anniversary; b) A Zen TORII MK4 or 3) The Zen Mystery Amp. (I would need it to be balanced)
The next question: Should I assume there’s a 20% required deposit if ordered? My room size is 18’ x 22’.
Last but not least, is there still an Annual DECWARE discount fest and if so in what month?
These questions will definitively help make an informed decision before pulling the trigger.
Thanks in advance.
Manny

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Compatibility
Reply #1 - 04/12/21 at 18:43:55

Hey Manny,

For amp thoughts, I wonder if you saw this thread.... https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1616043306

Not all you want to know, but hopefully enough about the amps you mention to be useful.

I am not up on deposits, holding a place on the bill list, and Sales these days, but hopefully others will comment.

Good Luck!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/12/21 at 21:58:53

Manny,
I believe they do black friday sale but in my opinion only,without it, you will be getting your money's worth without the discount.  I believe you will be charged a 10% non refundable deposit and the remaining balance will be due at completion and shipping.  You can always call Sarah and Steve for info and advice on which amp to choose.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Manny
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/21 at 01:47:31

Thanks both Kalafu and Will -
Your timely answers showed empathy to newcomers. I also got closer to a decision after reading the links provided. I have an upcoming appointment to talk to Steve. The name to my pain in terms of lingering doubt is the fact that my Spatials X3 open baffles require a minimum of 10 watts to show their full glory. Also, not sure how their ‘built in’ n-core sub will translate in terms of compatibility and synergy. Last resort would be to choose between a Zen TORii MK-IV with 25th Anniversary mods or the Mystery Amp.
Thanks again for the link provided.
I wish you both well.
Best regards

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/14/21 at 02:23:20

Minimum of 10 watts to show their full glory? Where is this coming from? A 97db at 1w/1m speaker driven by 10 watts with a listening position of 10 feet is 100+db SPL at the listening position! that is crazy loud!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/14/21 at 07:53:12

I can't say I understand it, not having studied SPLs in relation to speaker efficiency and amp power ratings, but I have looked at calculators, and they don't seem to make sense relative to my experience. This supports the thought that many specs/calculators can be useful, but perhaps not being the whole story, they can be incomplete.

I have tried a few Decware amps, and can say that I did notice more than loudness differences comparing lower wattage amps (SE34 and its later iteration, a Rachel, as well as a Taboo MKIII), and higher wattage amps (Blue Torii, Torii MKIII and MKIV) in my system/room.

In this particular complex, my feeling from listening makes me think the headroom from 12-25 watt Toriis allows them to push the drivers of my HR-1s harder, seeming to effect the sound experience more than the SPL range. Quite dense and dynamic ...bigger/deeper/fuller, I am guessing part of pushing the speaker drivers harder is from the power hungry lower frequencies being more present with Toriis than lower power amps I have tried with these same speakers. Tricky to equate without direct comparisons at measured volumes, but I am guessing the density and the low end presence of the Torii can be big power drains that may not necessarily show clearly with SPL measurements.... And with these speakers, power pushing the drivers harder seems more like music to me, more impactful, alive and complex.

Using SPL calculator theory, seems any of the lower power amps I have used in this room could have worked, but this was not really true. I guess some part of this is that my room and openly connected spaces add up to be a pretty big volume. Also the HR-1 radial drivers have intended dispersion effects. And, in this space, with my speaker placement, I prefer a slight toe out, and a slight angle up, so the front drivers are not pointing directly at my ears, but this room integrates more completely with the speakers this way, giving a pretty amazing, alive seeming soundstage.

Also my Torii MKIV is toned down volume/power-wise due to VRs and rectifiers that push the signal tubes in less than max ways, and I prefer input tubes that are not max power for the amps. Along with using a few active pre stages in series with my DAC, this particular combination and use also causes me to reach Torii distortion a little early.

But even reducing the MKIV 25 watt rating to 20 watts, according to SPL calculators, my 92.5 rated HR-1s should blow me out of the place. Yet I can get into minor distortion on very occasional hard notes with max peaks measuring in the higher 80s to low 90s. This is generally uncomfortably loud for me with max peaks that high, but many tunes that are pretty dynamic can go there with most of the average peaks in the 60-80 range, pretty normal serious listening levels for me. Yet using a few calculators tonight, each allowing for speaker distances from the walls, and running 20 watts, rather than 25, into 92 dB speakers, rather than 92.5, in theory I would get 100+ SPL at my seat....

Anyway, lots of variables, and perhaps I have more than some folks, but to me measurements and calculators can be quite useful, but may not be enough of the story to read like actual listening "measurements." A system/room can just be so alive to me, and amazingly complex.

How this might or might not relate to other speakers and system/rooms, especially with big, efficient drivers, I can't say, but my experience anyway.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/21 at 18:39:43

Manny,

Sounds like you are on a good track, and talking with Steve will be good. You will like him.

As I recall, the 15" Lii Drivers Steve and Randy use in their open baffles may be around 97 dB efficient? Have you listened to Steve's room/system recordings using his big baffles?

It would be interesting to ask Steve what efficiency he measures from the Lii Big Baffles, and if he has measured from the listening seat in his room while using the low power/big sound 25th Zen with the baffles.

Also, Palomino, on this forum, has done a lot of experimenting with multi driver open baffles using a Rachel and the 25th Zen with supplemental amps for bass. Might be worth it to look over some of his posts.

Don't know how much you have used this forum, but for searching I like the search button better than the broader search box at the top of the page.... the button near the middle of the button line above the video links and under the Decware banner above.

If you search palomino in the top field of the window the button opens, and choose a high number of posts, and "all posts" in the pull down next to "This post was made in the last..." this will present you with lots of posts and threads that might be interesting for your situation.

Good luck in your journey!

Will

IP Logged
Manny
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/14/21 at 19:18:39

All very insightful comments for which I deeply thank. I am 90% convinced I will be selecting the TORii MK 4 with mods accordingly and this will balance as most of my gear is PS Audio (Directsream DAC, etc). The last nail will be hard driven in after I speak to Steve. I cannot afford striking out again, 40 years and have gotten close but no cigar. This hobby can become expensive pronto.
Thanks all.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/21 at 04:03:26

Good Luck Manny. I hope you find the cigar with one Decware amp or another!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/15/21 at 13:48:38

Manny,

The Torii MKiv is a fantastic amp. I've run my PS Audio DSD directly to the Torii into 91db sensitive speakers and was blow away with how good it was. Adding a quality Preamp took it to an even better place.

Will, thank you for the as usual, thought provoking posts.

Speaker sensitivity is something that is still kept as sort of a black magic in the hifi world. Yes the speaker might measure 90db 1w/1m. What does it measure at 2w/1m?, 8w/1m? The reason I suspect this would be an important measurement is I'm guessing drivers start to become less efficient with more power.

In theory a speaker measures: 1w 90db, 2w 93db, 4w 96db, 8w 99db.
In real use the speaker might measure 1w 90db, 2w 92db, 4w 94db, 8w 95db. (I made this up)

This leads to what is one of the recurring themes of new to Decware amps. "Will my speakers get loud enough with this amp?" Answering isn't straight forward as there is not a great standard to go by.

Db meters seem to be good at average SPL, max or peak they don't read fast enough to register what the peak was with a display. I ran a SPL logger in REW and watched the display. I would say the peaks were mostly 68-70db, with a few hitting 72db. Looking at the logger 74db was a frequent peak, at one point it did hit 81db! This was   pop song so not the most dynamic. In theory it needed 8x more power for that split second.

Then there is the impedance change with frequency... This all leads to there are a lot of factors at play.

Steve wrote something about 2 watts to bend your mind. Yes, it's not hyperbole once you listen on well matched speakers, there is the giggle period where you are amazed. Eventually you calm your analytical mind and enjoy the music.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/15/21 at 17:14:26

There is no guessing on how much spl a given speaker will produce at 1,2,3,4 watts at 1 meter. It has been tested and is easy to test.

The question is how much has the driver maker and the speaker maker optimistically reported their numbers. A popular Klipsch - spec 96 dB measured at 89 dB, measured in different ways obviously, but the speaker is no louder than other speakers rated at 90-92. Do manufacturers that use off the shelf drivers even measure their speakers or just estimate from the driver numbers (often optomistic).
Companies use different ways to spec their speakers, how do we know we are comparing apples to apples?

The room is also a variable, how large/small, is it open or closed (spare bedroom), how far away is the listening position. In my largest room the spl does not drop off much from 1 to 3 meters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print