Send Topic Print
I love analogue (Read 13124 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: I love analogue
Reply #50 - 04/25/23 at 14:44:41

BINGO, 10ER 195? Pretty cool that someone would recognize it from a vague description. What it could do, I loved, but being a lathe wasn't one of them.
When I owned a VPI 16, I was surprised at just how noisy that rotor motor was. Not that it mattered, just an observation. Of course, it sounded like it was all in the gearing. Anyway, the idea for this to work with the 'right' DD TT is entirely possible, and makes the most sense to me, especially if the TT have a pitch control that might get you down another 6% from 33.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/26/23 at 14:12:13

Shopsmith has a speed reduction attachment with 7:1 ratio. Works well for large pieces on the lathe. The bandsaw can be slowed for metal cutting. The drill press also becomes more versatile with slower speeds.

I still think that 31rpm is too fast for record cleaning. At 3rpm the record is dry and clean after a bit more than one revolution. Slower revolution will also decrease wear of the felt on the suction wand.

Oh, the vendor with the Garrard turntable said it is not for sale; he has records that need listening and will keep it.

I also decided to see what is needed for the Akai. It would be a good turntable for the motorhome. The ION with modifications will serve well as a platform for cleaning solution application.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/04/23 at 12:00:39

Have you ever stayed away from home for a month only to return with dreams of leaving again 🙃 😪 💔! Turned out to be a very peaceful relaxing month on the Youghiogheny with realistic thoughts of returning to a more permanent full time stay. We are #32 on the waiting list for a full time spot which means next year it looks like that is going to happen.

Anyhow, yesterday was spent cleaning 61 vinyl albums using the stripped down ION turntable in the mix. It took some time to work it in but by the time the last dozen or so albums were cleaned the time was shaved to just about 4 minutes each. That includes album removal from the jacket/sleeve, cleaning, and returning with a fresh Hudson sleeve in the cover jacket. There are still 150 more albums that need cleaned. Ran out of Hudson jackets. Waiting for a order of 500. Might be able to get it down to 3 minute's per album with more time tweaking moves and slight changes in set up.

All unnecessary parts were removed from the ION player. The complete shell with lid and bottom cover along with the platter was the only parts used as a cleaning apparatus. The spindle was replaced with a 4" 1/4 20 bolt and couple of washers. The old mounting hole for the spindle needed drilled to fit the bolt. There was just enough support for the bolt in the plastic after drilling. Seems to be holding up well after 122 cycles.

The AKAI turntable was also repaired. It needed the weight mounting tube shaft screw tightened. It took some time figuring it out but I got it in there pretty good. The strobe light just needed someone's ill attempt of solder work redone to get it lit.

Next move is to use the IONs phono pre installed in the AKAI to make it portable for motorhome use. Not sure how it will pan out but worth a try.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #53 - 05/04/23 at 12:38:02

John,

I love the Akai turntable.  I had an old Akai receiver that I had to put to rest, and it bothered me.  It was a great piece.  Also very cool you shaved down your record cleaning time.  When your doling a lot of records….it really adds up.  

I enjoyed camper life when I was out in Vegas years ago for the Nascar race.  It was a blast…so I’m glad that next year you’ll get a permanent spot.  

Keep us posted.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/05/23 at 01:18:51

It works, it works well beyond expectations. As cheap as the rest of the ION player is there is a very good phono preamp in it. The power supply could use some tweaks but for the turntables intended use it will be more than adequate. No fine tuning adjustments have been made to the Akai yet although the sound is very good! The album was a dollar find and also very good.

I hooked this up after a day of shopping with the misses. Definitely a green light to fit it inside the Akai. Will add RCA outs and IEC to aid in portability. The biggest obstacle will figure out a way to keep it stable in the motohome while listening. The MH has stabilizers but there is still some movement when walking around that may be a tad to much for lp playing.

The last pic is items that arrived while working on this. Looks like there is some work ahead of me including changing all the electrolytic capacitors in the JVC turntable!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 05/05/23 at 11:11:58

Dom,
The Akai has advantages over the JVC in that the controls are on the outside of the dust cover. The controls are very smooth in operation on the Akai and have a good feel. The JVC fails in this respect especially when wanting to cue certain tracks which usally causes skipping when raising the dust cover. However the JVC has a much better servo system that is rock solid. The Akai is not with a tiny bit of flutter noticeable in the strobe but not detectable in music so far. It probably needs capacitors replaced also.

Camping is a blast but can be hard on the body! I made a big mistake waiting to get blood work done after the trip for an upcoming semi-annual doctors checkup. He is not going to be happy with me! Metrics are way off from too much beer, steak, and seafood Embarrassed

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #56 - 05/06/23 at 05:45:38

John,

Yes I remember it all too well.  The lack of sleep, late night parting, eating all kinds of food from other neighboring campers, and the drinking can really beat you down.   I haven’t done that in a long time… but I remember it like it was yesterday.  

Having the controls outside the dust cover are nice.  I always liked the Akai lineup, so I’m sure it will serve you well.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 05/11/23 at 11:01:59

Did not get much accomplished the last few days. I been too busy enjoying the spring air and getting ready for another road adventure.

The JVC QL-F4 did get a new set of electrolytic caps. The platter has more torque now as a result. The supplier of the recap kit sent a bipolar .47uf to replace an electrolytic that did not work on my table.  He thought is was odd and will send a replacement .47uf electrolytic. My platter just nudged as power was applied but would not run until the old cap was reinstalled.

The photos below show the before and after cap replacement. Looks like it was done just in time to. The large caps with the discoloration around on the board is adhesive used by the manufacturer to secure the caps. It started to leech. If left much longer it would have literally ate the components around the caps.

There is still a problem with the strobe circuit. The diodes were replaced without success. The light but do not pulse. Might be a shorted transistor or bad logic chip. Need to pinpoint it some other time. The turntable shows no sign of being off pitch.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/12/23 at 13:00:15

I had an itch the last couple of days to visit my favorite flea boutique at home. It has been a couple of months since the last browse.

A couple of albums were found, a DVD titled Rainbow "Live in Munich 1977", 7 CDs, and this:

I could not pass it up! Brought back high school day memories. For its age, it is in excellent shape. The needles seem to be intact. The rim drive works well. However, the audio does not work. Will have to work on that. It also was made in 1972 the year of my graduation from HS.

Well this round took a total of $17 out of the 2024 budget.

Cheers!

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 05/15/23 at 10:22:24

The Akai was fairly easy fitting the ION's electronics. There was 2 choices of how to fit the circuit board. The original idea would have disconfigured the Akai case and created much work to accomplish. The result was to use three existing mounting bosses and drill one hole. The mounting boss was simply drilled to a bigger diameter providing the right size hole for a 6/32 tap thread. Risers are used to space the board and transformer in areas that would not conflict with the turntables mechanical functions. Four 3" screws cut to the right lenght, one washer, one nut, one lock washer, a four inch heavy wall plastic tube cut to three correct lenghts, five wire ties, and a little solder was used to complete the work. The only other alternation of the case was a cut in the area of where the USB cable would exit.

The first idea would have been very time consuming. Adding an IEC, RCAs out, and placing the board in symmetrical fashion cutting a hole for the USB socket would have been way too much work for the desired outcome. It will work just dandy as done.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 05/16/23 at 20:17:51

Success Cool

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #61 - 05/16/23 at 23:29:14

John..great job!  I love the setup in the camper.  Your hard work has definitely paid off.  I think it’s time to treat yourself to some more vinyl….you’ve earned it.  

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 05/17/23 at 12:49:13

That is the plan Dom! Got to clean the albums bought last month first. So far after 61 cleaned, only two made it in the garbage. One had a cracked on the rim and another a tiny blob of ? that could not be removed.

When using a conical stylus tracking at 2 grams the player is tolerant of normal vibrations of living in the MH set on the dash which is cover with foam backed vinyl. I might try an elliptical in the Stanton 681eee cartridge tracking at 1 gram to see how it fairs. Some say the conical is best in the 681. The elliptical can introduce sibilance on material that is prone of it. It could also be an indication of improper alignment whereas the conical is more tolerant of slight mis-configuration.

John

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 06/06/23 at 20:07:58

I splurged on a few new records in the past week. Big mixed bag of results...

Rodrigo y Gabriela - In Between Thoughts...  
Wow, very good sound and mix. I love their style and this likely to be my favorite album from them. It's "translucent bone" color which isn't bad, until you turn on the LED lamp and the light seems to amplify off the record into an instant eye aura headache.

The Record Company - Play Loud  
I opened this one and slid out the top record. Hmmm, side C and D. That's weird they stacked them in the jacket wrong, pull out the bottom record...DAMMIT...side C and D again. Bezos sent a new copy the next day and all is well. This isn't the first time I've had this happen. Horrible quality control.

The Record Company - All of This Life
Solid white and again blinding to look at under the light. Great recording. Record has a slight warp, but didn't affect playback.

Hermanos Gutiérrez - El Bueno Y El Malo
These guys are amazing. Latin/old timey Western cowboy style music and they're from Zurich, Switzerland. This one is black n brown marble. Looks like a diamondback rattlesnake. I didn't play side two. Side one is ATROCIOUS. Visually the record looks clean. I had to stop playing it as I thought I caught a fur ball on the stylus. Nope, no hair or dust the record just sucks. Sometime you get a noisy record where the music plays above the surface noise. Not this one, the static is horrible. It's getting an ultrasonic bath later today.

The Allman Brothers Band - Live at Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh 1971 RSD release
I've been a ABB fan as long as I can remember. I was born five days after Duane died. I told myself I was done buying ABB live shows on vinyl a few years back, but since this one was recorded in Pittsburgh at a venue I've been to so I had to bite. Haven't opened this one yet, it's steel gray...cause that's all we do in the Burgh is steel.

I will say if given the option I would choose BLACK vinyl all day.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #64 - 06/06/23 at 20:32:04

I agree about record quality. Especially with old used records. There are a very few sellers out there that actually audition the album before putting a stamp of approval on it. Most go by sight, which couldn't be more wrong. But then I will never forget seeing a gal 'clean 45's in dirty dish soap across the grooves and dry them with an old rag. WTF?
 But I have heard good and bad about colored vinyl. Depends on everything prior to pressing, I'm guessing. Probably more about chemistry than anything.
Also, if side two is in bad condition, it doesn't necessarily mean that the other side is the same. Might have been left one side up on a TT for a month. Who knows?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 06/06/23 at 22:09:40

I have an original RED J. Geils Band recording, titled  "Bloodshot"  and I thought at the time that we can now just have any color we want for LPs.

Pictures came a bit later, but not the quality of sound.

That RED J. Geils sounds fine, but that is not the reason to listen it. It was an early attempt (maybe his second, I'd have to look it up) and a very good one.
I include that one as a favorite of mine on vinyl.

One of the times I worked with Bon Jovi, Geils was the opening act. Kind of the best of worlds at the time. Short tour as they always were in those days.

All in all, I avoid colored vinyl these days, meaning anything but black.

You know, I'm going to go find "Bloodshot" now and play it again.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 06/08/23 at 12:13:50

Well thanks to Sean and my step daughter there are over 300 LPS in the Charoit that need cleaned and sorted. Might be an easy task depending on condition(read playability) Wink

The lastest camping adventure produce some treasures as seen below. I'm really excited about the Victrola and working it into an Italian made table.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 06/08/23 at 18:37:33

Nice score indeed!

I have just recently bought and engaged a Spin-Clean record washer into my use.

I took the plunge from reading a number of recommendations on this forum. Obviously, the only way I'll know for sure is to live with one.

Add me to the column of folks who would recommend it.

Going through my giant stack of stuff acquired just previous, not much to do for this thing, since all the LPs I have cleaned were very carefully archived before I got my hands on them. My late friend's sincere diligence at work.

BUT, I grabbed up a few Deutsche Grammophon classical items lately which have probably NEVER been cleaned except for maybe a perfunctory pre-needledrop attempt, and I am seeing the fluid dinge up some after just three or so LPs.
I take that as a sign that the Spin-Clean thing is doing its job.

I remember you have quite a cleaning system in place (unless I am confused).
So all this is probably superfluous to your needs.

I know it seems moronic for me to continue to buy albums when I have more "new to me" than I can get through in months, but I can not leave Deutsche Grammophon selections just sit while I walk away. I buy them when I find them in great shape.

You bought an alto sax? Are you a player?

... or more like me? I find something left behind and try to get it into hands that can appreciate it.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #68 - 06/08/23 at 20:37:31

It's great that the Spin clean works for you. Simple and effective. I would say that if I see the water to get even a little bit less than pristine, it is time to change the fluid. Think of it in the same way as cleaning glass. That is how clean that a stylus must see it.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 06/08/23 at 21:20:04

Agreed 100%.
That is kind of what I meant by dinging some, but I was not so descriptive in my process as to continue describing what to do next.

The fluid must be clean and only then can an LP come out clean.

However I do run several albums through, change, clean and restore the machine and run them again sometimes.
I mean the compound is the cheapest thing, compared to rare albums, so if the fluid becomes the least bit cloudy, I change it out.

That's how I have found to judge the cleaning in the early stages of my experiences with this new thing.

I am open to suggestion and if you have a preferred home spun solution, please share.

I read on the Factory supplied fluid that one bottle can clean up to fifty albums. Maybe, but I want mine cleaner than that might be.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 06/08/23 at 23:31:35

I swore I had a red copy of Bloodshot as well, maybe in the storage crates. All I found was this:

Five - six years ago I witnessed an employeee cleaning records at Jerry's Records. Windex and a rag of questionable material and cleanliness. I wish I would have taken a pic of the SL1200 they used for playing records. It was filthy. My buddy and used to laugh at the "Exceptionally Clean" stickers on albums there. Anything I bought there went on the cleaner before playing.  Few weeks ago I met JBzen at Willy's, Jerry's son who is selling off what his dad left behind. My understanding is Jerry had three houses full of records. Nothing but records. When he sold the biz a few yrs ago, it was the name and what was on the site. I bought a few records that looked real good and a couple "maybe it'll clean up". The nice looking ones are shockingly dead quiet. Brubeck Tiro Cincinnati, Temptations All Directions (Papa was a rolin stone), and The Philarmonics - The Masters In Philadelphia, it looked weird and super clean. All three of those were dead quiet with just a record brush. The other so so records cleaned up nice just using the VPI.

The Hermanos Gutiérrez went through the ultrasonic tank. Slightly better, but still has lots of noise one 4 or 5 tracks. Steve said earlier that it's like a campfire or fire in the fireplace. This record is like having a honey badger in a cardboard box on the floor in front of you. Disappointing.

John, congrats on the Victrola, didn't take long to find one.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #71 - 06/08/23 at 23:50:59

Well, you could try Windex. Man I can't say that without laughing. But see, there are plenty of people who would do such a thing. Like I mentioned before watching that lady scrubbing 45's with a dirty rag across the grooves was tough. No idea whatsoever!
As far as fluid goes, I have been Using 'Disc Doctor' record cleaner. Can't really say that is top of the heap. I will clean even a new album just to know that it is ready as can be. Going a step too far, I treat some records with 'Last' record treatment. Hell, after what I payed for some albums, it makes me feel better, and I don't really care what someone else might think about that.
 I had a very few albums that I was willing to try something out. VRF is a small company that will clean your most precious albums for a price. Yah, it costs money, but I wanted know what difference if any could be had. I only heard a difference on an old Fleetwood Mac album that had noise. It didn't eliminate it all, but there was a noticeable reduction that anyone could hear. I had cleaned it myself, but the noise was still there, so that was the experimental album to gauge things by. Sure as spit you don't have to go that far with vinyl, but I get that way sometimes and now have an opinion. Mostly, I just don't want to damage the stylus with grit.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 06/09/23 at 11:03:40

DD,
Not a player, also bought a trumpet. Might give both a blow or two to see if I can make those sing.

These purchases are part of a plan to steal a Lazy Boy out of the family room to replace the leather couch in the Chariot. Then place the Victoria and instruments in the empty corner of the family room.

Sean, sorry to hear about the Hermanos Gutiérrez album. Willy has overstock in the room with rows of shelving. He may have other copies of the album. Him and staff are very good at weeding through the massive collection and might be able to find you a better copy.

There are a ton of Victrolas out there. Most with no value and outrageous prices. Some warrant the asking price but most do not. Depends on model and serial number. The one purchased has no real value to collectors. It does however have value in my eyes being it was made the same year as moms birth. It was caked with dry grease as most selling from basements of facebook marketplace folks. It ran and all the parts are there. No delamination issues. So far the springs need replaced. There is a guy in Charlotte that makes parts for these simple interesting machines. Brian is a laid backed hobbyist who centers on Victrolas and made a side business out of it. He made a set of springs for me the same day ordered. Was able to pick them up while visit my daughter. Priceless! He also gave me a lead on a 93 year old guy in Charlotte who has thousands of these machines in seven warehouses. Going to look him up sometime!

John   

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 06/09/23 at 20:39:17

The Hermanos, Rodrigo, ABB, and the Record Company LPs were brand new, sealed records. I spent 5x as much on the new albums than I did at Willy's and the records from Willy's were all 5x better quality soundwise. I think the newest of the Willy's bunch was released in 1980.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #74 - 06/10/23 at 16:42:25

Congrats John on the victrola! Love the setup.  Sadly I haven’t had the opportunity lately to seek out more used vinyl.  But I recently took advantage of The Sound of Vinyl’s summer sale, and grabbed 6 new vinyl albums.   All were good except the GoGo’s Vacation album with a pink disc.  My wife wanted it so I couldn’t say no.  Besides being horribly warped out of the box, the sound was thin and lifeless.  I actually felt like sending it back.  

I’m still waiting on my co-worker’s nice stash of used 60’s albums he promised.  Locked away in the basement….he’s waiting for his son to dig them out for him.  Hopefully soon fingers crossed.

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 06/20/23 at 10:58:42

The Victrola made it to the final destination. Found a different stand for the table top model. The spring motor runs well. The sound reproducer also needs springs, gaskets, and mica. Ordered. Vinyl Man has 750,000 78s to search through. Looking for a violin to place below with the brass. Going to get interesting!

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #76 - 06/20/23 at 16:12:29

The victrola is beautiful!  Congratulations John.  I love the new table…great acquisition.  I have a vintage Elephant table that was my wife’s grandmother’s.  It’s the same one that was found in Eleanor Roosevelt’s apartment when it went up for sale.  

Next up ..I’m looking to add my grandfather’s mandolin to the top of my audio rack.  Just need to get it from my cousin.

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 06/21/23 at 10:00:35

Very cool Don! Teddy Roosevelt did so much for this country. He loved its natural beauty. His national park namesake in North Dakota is a real gem. Beauty and wildlife abound there. It is on my top 5 list of favorites. A real pleasure to tour on bicycle taking it all in especially the north section.
John

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print