03/29/24 at 07:58:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 not powering up (Read 1663 times)
Isoarch
Verified Member

ZP3 not powering up
04/02/21 at 12:28:27

My ZP3 stopped working a few weeks ago following a buzzing sound and a flickering of the rectifier tube. Prior to that, it has done the same thing, but would power up after shut off.

Since the rectifier tube is what I last saw flicker, I ordered a replacement (5U4G), but that did nothing. I read in a thread that it might be the voltage regulator, so I ordered one of those. That also did nothing. I’m thinking the power supply has failed. I have the unit connected to a surge protector, along with all my other equipment, which is operating normally.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZP3 not powering up
Reply #1 - 04/02/21 at 13:06:40

You could check inside, there may be a fuse for the rectifier on a small circuit board which has failed. I know that these fuses are inside in my newest components but I have not had a ZP3 for a long time and don't know if they have been incorporated in that component or when. . . . A call in to Steve is your best bet regardless.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/02/21 at 20:46:05

I don't think there is an internal fuse.  My ZP3 is 5 years old or so but has had all of the recent modifications.  Not sure it the newer units have internal fuses.  It's very easy to look inside to check.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 04/02/21 at 22:59:50

There are no internal fuses in the ZP3.

There is an external fuse located in the IEC power cord socket which is obviously blown.

WWW   IP Logged
Isoarch
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/03/21 at 05:41:31

Thank you all for the responses. Steven had it right, the fuse was blown. Thank you for including an extra fuse in the cap!

This reiterated how much of a difference the ZP3 makes over the built in phone stage on my Peachtree amplifier...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print