03/28/24 at 22:00:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plate amp substitute (Read 1958 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Plate amp substitute
03/30/21 at 20:01:29

I have experimented with bi amping for awhile now.  For the low end I have used a plate amp, plus a crown XLS 1000 and XLS 1002.

In general, I like the class d in the crown amps to the plate amp.  Tighter, cleaner bass.

I ran across a well reviewed little class D amp in youtube video showing it had respectable measurements.  When looking for it on Amazon, I found they also had pretty much the same amp that could either be a full range monoblock or a sub amp.  I figured for $50, why not give it a try.

I got it and right now I am running it with my subwoofer which covers from around 40hz on down.  It produces a pretty tight bass sound.  Better than my dayton 250W plate amp, which is not the best, but certainly costs more.

So if you are an audio cheapskate and/or wanted to experiment with bi-amping, this would be an inexpensive alternative.

When I first heard it, I thought of anyone looking to add a little low end to your Betsy setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MXFDD2J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?...

They also make a 200watt version which given the inefficiency of my sub driver, might have been a little better match, but so far the 100 watt version is working well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Plate amp substitute
Reply #1 - 03/31/21 at 16:25:08

FWIW from what I can find this is a 50 watt @ 4 ohms (30w 8 ohms) amp with the 24 volt ps.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/21 at 16:37:25

Did somebody measure it?

It's driving my sub (~87 db efficiency).

I wouldn't even think about using it in HT, but to drive a fairly efficient sub or an A15 for music, I think it will do the job.

I actually bought it to drive an efficient (~91db)  sub I built for a secondary system, but the bass is nice and tight so I am leaving it in my main system and the plate amp is going to the secondary system.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/21 at 18:10:27

Is anyone running their plate amps off the RCA outputs of a CSP preamp?
I do, and find it quite a challenge to "ride the gain" while simultaneously getting a good balanced bass output from my mid-bass drivers.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/21 at 18:53:58

Info from TI data sheet.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/21 at 18:58:43

Well my PSU is only 19V so probably not
getting that much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print