Decware Audio Forums
04/11/21 at 06:03:07 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZRock 2 EQ Options (Read 818 times)
DancingSea

Re: ZRock 2 EQ Options
Reply #50 - 04/05/21 at 23:00:01

Thanks to you both for the Master Class level ZRock2 insights!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/06/21 at 04:04:44

Good thoughts all around Lon. And Dancing Sea, glad to try to help others find more beauty!

Thanks for the comparison of the Tungsram and Phillips E80CCs Lon. I ordered a Phillips to try.

Power-PSA P5, Brickwall/Shunyata Defender+>RevolutionMacMini/Audirvana>Kitsune Singxer>Gustard x20pro DAC modified; Cables: Pi Audio PC, DIY: PCs, ICs, USB, Speaker; Decware- CSP3, Torii IV, HR1-all modified; DIY ZBIT; feet- Archie's, alum/ball bearing, and more
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 04/06/21 at 15:21:22

This discussion has me tube-rolling again. I'm listening right now to the system with an Amperex 7062 in the ZROCK2. This has a bit less gain than an 12AT7 and sounds very good a few hours after a long hibernation. It's another tall tube, about a half-inch taller than a 12A type generally is.

As I often do with 12AT7 types I went from 0B3 to 0A3 in the voltage regulators for the output tubes for a spell, with a pair of RCA bottle type sounding very good and a pair of tall Amperex sounding unbelievably dynamic, but went back to the 0B3 as these tame a brightness that gets a bit rambunctious with the 0A3 type.

Intrigued by the 7062 I purchased a few 6414 and 6829 to try. Darn you guys. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w/25th mods PS Audio: DMP+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkr cbls;Mapleshade:Samson V3; Oppo UDP-205; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods;headphones:PM1,HD800S,ZMF Ori
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 04/06/21 at 23:00:26

Since your tube rolling again... you might want to try the GE JAN 6189 12AU7WA mid 50's with the triple mica and large horseshoe getter, black plate.  Initially I got it as rebranded National Electronics tubes.  I have received a couple more as GE and these are identical in construction and sound.

The ZR2-A and the CSP3-A/Miflex are still burning in but it looks like this GE tube is a keeper.  The ZR2 EQ is in the up position which I think is EQ A.

With all the mods, I did change one tube in the CSP3 in conjunction with the 6189 in the ZR2.  The input in the CSP3 is now a Philips E188CC SQ.

Also I found that results from changes in the positions of the Input Tube Bias switch and the Speaker Inpedence switches on the UFO25 are now very noticeable and adjusting these makes a big difference in the sound, almost as much as changing the tube in the ZR2.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 04/07/21 at 01:03:18

Well, we have different tastes. I do have a similar tube to that you mention and it's just too bright for me--an RCA 6189 12AU7 WA Black Plate 3 Mica D-Getter, the getter looks like a horeshoe. I have a number of other 6189. I won't invest more in that type. I have in the ZROCK2 now an Amperex 5814A with a dimpled getter that is the first 5814A type I've really gotten into as it has that Amperex family richness I lean towards. Holland tubes have always appealed to me. This 5814A has a different sound to the other 5814A or 6189.

I do hear distinct differences between the ohmage and gain switches on my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the mods, but I always come back to the lower settings as suiting my room and system the most. I've had all components but my ZTPRE with the mods now for two years or so and have done a lot of exploring. . . and have found my "foundation."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w/25th mods PS Audio: DMP+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkr cbls;Mapleshade:Samson V3; Oppo UDP-205; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods;headphones:PM1,HD800S,ZMF Ori
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/07/21 at 02:43:01

In some ways our tastes are different in others similar.  I've had some of the same tubes in my system as you and kept them after you posted your experiences.

Not trying to convince you to buy the GE version of the 6189 12AU7 but I do find it to be an anomoly in that it is not bright.  A friend who recently listened to the system with the GE in place along with the Philips in the CSP3 described the sound as liquid and warm.  I would not say that the sound is "warm" as in tubey warm rather it's very rich and liquid, which is what I've been trying to achieve.

Still it may not be to your taste.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 04/07/21 at 10:14:49

Probably it's not taste, it's just our rooms are different, our sources and speakers are different, other components are different, our cabling is different, our racks are different, our power and isolation treatments are different and the same tube complements can't be expected to yield the same results. I get rich and liquid with different strategies and particulars, as liquiid and warm and rich as I want to. I just get there with different tubes because of these differences--that I suspect is the real heart of the matter, and why tube recommendations are so difficult to make on target--especially "the very best" picks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print