Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:03:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small room and large room (Read 2349 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Small room and large room
03/15/21 at 17:52:38

Taking room treatment off the table--I know its importance, but unless I become a widower it is an area I cannot go, and I'd rather have my wife and a crappy boombox than my fantastic systems and a treated room and not living with her--over the years I've had both large rooms and small rooms to listen in.

I prefer a large room--or even a medium size room--to a small one. My speakers fill a large room and are constructed so that frequency balances are natural and the sound containing more "ease". . . .

A smaller room and near field listening with the same system ore a similar system and the same speakers things are more "clinical" or "Hifi" sounding. This can be lessened, with judicious choice of components, tubes, cabling, etc. I never quite find the entire "ease" as in a larger room, but I can at times be drawn in a bit further into the music and lose myself.

What I have also found to be true in my case is that different tubes and interconnects especially will be chosen for either system. Though cost isn't always a factor, over time my choices for a larger room are less expensive and exotic than those for the smaller room.

I'd be interested in learning of the experience of others who may have had Decware systems in both larger and smaller rooms.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Small room and large room
Reply #1 - 03/15/21 at 19:07:04

I'm with you Lon on both the large room and the treatments.  My resistance to treatments is mostly due to the complexity of my room and the total impracticality of having treatments in that space.  Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think the complexity of my room geometry negates the need for treatment to a large extent.  However, I'll never know.

Over the years I've experienced oddities in the acoustics of my house -- which is open and voluminous.  At times sound is crystal clear and amplified and at others it gets muffled and distorted.  This all depends on the location of the sound and the listener.  I'm not just referring to music but also spoken words.  I usually can tell by how many times I say, "What?" in a conversation that's not face to face.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 03/15/21 at 20:51:45

My thing is I like BIG music: Mahler, Bruckner, The Buddy Rich Big Band, and occasionally Led Zepplin the like. I don't often listen loud, but when I do I really like to hear (and feel) the orchestra or the band filling up the room. Back in the day that was just a lot easier (and cheaper) to do in a small room. So, that's the way my system evolved.

As a practical matter, my system was always going to be relegated to a small, untreated space (I also love my wife more than high end audio) and I feel like I've made the most of it with my UFOs and Omega speakers. The sound is beautiful at 60 or 70 dB, and I can crank it up to 100 dB peaks and it is both beautiful and visceral. But I admit I wonder what it would be like to take over the living room and get some really high efficiency speakers like the Lii Audio and let it rip.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/16/21 at 13:35:55

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Archie, I too have a big room that presents problems and I thank my stars for the balance options I have as well as the fact that I use HR-1 speakers as I have a big open space that the stereo is in one half of and one speaker has a wall corner to reinforce it and the other has none, just as big an area next to it. I put a chair near it when I can (when I'm alone) and that really helps and the very nature of the upward omni-directional speaker and the directional ribbon speaker make this a very satisfying and real sounding presentation with a near perfect left to right balance that I can adjust several ways, usually by using the dual volume controls on the Taboo Mk IV with Anniversary mods. Luckily we don't encounter non-musical/TV playback issues in the room itself (other than the fact that my wife's hearing is not as good as mine, she occasionally has hilarious "mishearings" of what was said on TV when NOT playing the DVR through the stereo).

CA, yes, I spent a decade or so with the "small room big sound" effort going and finally finalized, and then my late first wife finally consented to (and enjoyed) the stereo in the living room/dining room area in our Austin home, and I got to enjoy it there an additional five plus years after her passing. I was so happy to have the larger room and haven't relished going back to small room/near field listening since. In part I was happy because that was another audio journey to explore--I do confess that my love of music and wanting to get "deep inside" (after giving up performing in bands and with others my goal was to make reproduced music "come alive") has led to me constantly seeking tiny improvements in stereo presentation. If I were allowed "room treatment' beyond foam cell blinds and rugs I would go nuts with that!

Two years ago and a bit I was "convinced" to move my main system into what is not a small room exactly but a medium much more rectangular room. Another chance to explore setup and changes and I get very good sound there. But I still would rather have my main system back in the large room area--I had it there when I first got the SE84UFO Monoblocks with mods, my P10, and my first ZROCK2 and man the sound! I do really enjoy the sound of this system with the PPP and the Taboo Mk IV with mods, etc. but the main system is another level altogether. Maybe someday. . . we'll see. . . unlikely. I will keep improving the sound as I can in the medium room.

Life is so good with Decware products! I was recently thinking of how my sound was twenty plus years ago. Decware's components have evolved, as has my knowledge of how to eek out of them their character and finesse and I have sound that I never really dreamed I would have. . .every day.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 03/16/21 at 15:01:53

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 13:35:55
...after giving up performing in bands and with others my goal was to make reproduced music "come alive"...

That really resonates with me. I grew up playing in orchestras and bands, probably with more enthusiasm than ability,  and when I hung it up after college that is exactly what attracted me to "high end" audio: the possibility of music coming live in a way that approached what you feel when you're making it yourself. And I have to say that Decware has taken me a lot closer to that than I thought was possible, or at least attainable on my budget and within my life style.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/16/21 at 15:26:41

My experience as well. We're so lucky to have the fruits of Steve's (and in my case Bob's) explorations into the mechanics of sound reproduction.

IP Logged
Legros
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/30/21 at 06:56:21

Thank you for posting that it could be just the thing to give inspiration to someone who needs it! Keep up the great work!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print