04/25/24 at 14:41:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving Kelly KT3 (Read 1291 times)
A1000
Verified Member

Driving Kelly KT3
03/08/21 at 11:30:57

I own a pair of Kelly KT 3. (Musical Fidelity)

Sensitivity 95db however 6ohm nominal. I desire the S E 8 4 U F O

However, with the impedance of the speaker, would I need two Zen Triode bridged for 6watts a channel for these Kelly?

Listening, Guitar rock, Folk, Classical (gregorian chant to Sibelius), Synth

Thanks

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Driving Kelly KT3
Reply #1 - 03/08/21 at 13:43:57

Welcome to the forums!

One SE84UFO amp should power them just fine, unless you like to listen at 90db+

6ohm speakers are fine. There are two switches at the back that switch between 4 and 8 ohms. Try both and see which you prefer there is no "correct" position, set by ear.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Driving Kelly KT3
Reply #2 - 03/08/21 at 15:23:48

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 13:43:57
Welcome to the forums!

One SE84UFO amp should power them just fine, unless you like to listen at 90db+

Yes, welcome to the forums.

And yes, one UFO ought to be fine. But.... I'm using two UFOs even though one would be plenty in my setup (95 dB Omega speakers in a smallish 13x13 room) and the sound is really remarkable. I got two amps because I wanted a balanced connection, and I like monoblocks in general but having a few extra watts is a nice bonus. I don't always listen at high levels but occasionally I enjoy e.g. Bruckner (or Sibelius) or the Buddy Rich Big Band or Zeppelin filling up the room and according to my iPhone the peaks get close to 100 dB and I think that would be a stretch for 2.5 watts.

I can't really do a direct comparison of 1 amp to 2 for a variety of reasons, so I can't quantify the differences, much less compare them to the higher powered Decware amps. But I will say if you're interested in double the power (for whatever reason) getting a pair of UFOs is a great way to go.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print