Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:34:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MK III vs. MK IV (Read 1179 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

Torii MK III vs. MK IV
03/07/21 at 20:13:44

what are the differences between the two?

any discernable difference in sound?

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MK III vs. MK IV
Reply #1 - 03/07/21 at 23:28:00

Per Steve D. here are the changes from the Mk III:

*I have deleted the bias switch for the output tubes.  It never did much in the MK III and is not needed in the MK IV.
*I have increased the gain of the input stage by about 20% giving the amp more slam and tighter control
*I have eliminated the adjustable bass dampening control, no longer need it with problematic speakers due to the next change.
*In place of the adjustable bass dampening control I have created a re-constructive feedback circuit that improves clarity, detail, and definition at all frequencies.  It is on a switch so that you can use it or not use it.  (everyone will likely use it)   This mod replaces the bypass caps that were on the cathode of the input stage.  Those caps eliminated the naturally occurring local negative feedback in that tube.  Instead of a bypass cap, I use the output transformer in series with a couple networks that float the output stage above ground slightly.  The result is less phase angle distortion resulting in better transparency.  This was an accident, that turned into another discovery.  It's one of the cooler things that's happened in the past couple years and it will be fun to here peoples impressions of it as they get their MK III's updated.
*The input switch is now centered behind the volume control.  
*The power switches are now rocker switches vs. toggle switches.
*The chassis can now accommodate either a single volume control (as shown) or a volume control for each channel.
*The chassis is now steel with our new textured black powder coat finish and weighs 6 pounds more than the aluminum it replaced.
*Beeswax caps are now standard.
*The treble control has been redone and now makes only a very slight adjustment to the treble above 5K, whereas before it was capable of cutting all the way down to 500 Hz.  The result is a bit more air.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS