Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/30/22 at 17:42:39†

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TabooMK4, XLR to 6.5mm adaptor instead of balanced (Read 615 times)
Nick324

TabooMK4, XLR to 6.5mm adaptor instead of balanced
03/07/21 at 18:16:14

Just ordered a TABOO Mk4. I have a few months wait and have a question. 11 of my 12 HP amplifiers use single ended 6.5mm jack inputs and NOT the XLR balanced type. I don't particularly feel like spending the money to purchase XLR terminated HP cables for the multitude of HP's I wanted to use on the Taboo. Is the output actually balanced or can i use an XLR to 6.5mm adaptor and just go on using my single ended cables and be happy?

Any help is appreciated.

Innuos Zenith MKIII, LTA MZ3, Vinnie Rossi L2iSE, SE341.5, SE84UFO25, EC Studio B, Sugden FPA-4,LM 216, PASS HPA-1, BP SEI, LM-32, Lampi Baltic-3, Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TRís, Tube-Tots
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: TabooMK4, XLR to 6.5mm adaptor instead of balanced
Reply #1 - 11/08/21 at 20:42:12

I doubt that the Taboo actually has balanced output, because I don't think it is a balanced amp. It would need more than 1 input tube and 2 power tubes to amplify all 4 channels of a balanced signal. So, you are probably fine with the XLR converter, and worst case it is cheap to try and see what you think.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/08/21 at 21:32:05

You certainly can, though I will note that my headphones (3 pair) sound a bit (just a bit) better with balanced cables even though the Taboo's not really balanced. I have both cables for my Oppo PM-1 headphones and can hear that slight difference. In two of my headphone amps I do the opposite: use balanced cabling and a balanced to single-ended converter. A bit better sound as a result.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w all GrooveTracer mods PS Audio: PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkr cbls;Mapleshade:Samson V3;;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods;headphones:PM1,HD800S,ZMF Ori
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 11/08/21 at 21:59:50

Yes, I just think XLR connectors are like 100 times nicer than RCA/Phono connectors and would happily pay extra for them, even for "regular" connections.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print