Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:46:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TabooMK4, XLR to 6.5mm adaptor instead of balanced (Read 1475 times)
Nick324

TabooMK4, XLR to 6.5mm adaptor instead of balanced
03/07/21 at 18:16:14

Just ordered a TABOO Mk4. I have a few months wait and have a question. 11 of my 12 HP amplifiers use single ended 6.5mm jack inputs and NOT the XLR balanced type. I don't particularly feel like spending the money to purchase XLR terminated HP cables for the multitude of HP's I wanted to use on the Taboo. Is the output actually balanced or can i use an XLR to 6.5mm adaptor and just go on using my single ended cables and be happy?

Any help is appreciated.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: TabooMK4, XLR to 6.5mm adaptor instead of balanced
Reply #1 - 11/08/21 at 20:42:12

I doubt that the Taboo actually has balanced output, because I don't think it is a balanced amp. It would need more than 1 input tube and 2 power tubes to amplify all 4 channels of a balanced signal. So, you are probably fine with the XLR converter, and worst case it is cheap to try and see what you think.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/08/21 at 21:32:05

You certainly can, though I will note that my headphones (3 pair) sound a bit (just a bit) better with balanced cables even though the Taboo's not really balanced. I have both cables for my Oppo PM-1 headphones and can hear that slight difference. In two of my headphone amps I do the opposite: use balanced cabling and a balanced to single-ended converter. A bit better sound as a result.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 11/08/21 at 21:59:50

Yes, I just think XLR connectors are like 100 times nicer than RCA/Phono connectors and would happily pay extra for them, even for "regular" connections.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print