Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 02:33:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii Audio Crystal 6 in the Decware Corner Horns! (Read 6513 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Lii Audio Crystal 6 in the Decware Corner Horns!
02/09/21 at 02:31:51

These drivers, lovingly placed in my Corner Horns, are pretty amazing. I can see why they cost $500 a pair. I'll post some videos soon.

Also, here is another one of a drum solo.  This one I actually had to use a real recorder because they dynamics were way beyond anything the phone could deal with. I had to use a 20dB mic pad because I had it turned up so loud. You'll notice this recording isn't dulled down like the smart phone recordings. And it really shows off what the drivers and the horns for that matter are actually capable of.  Demo was made at around 10 watts.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/um45vb9okm

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Another Reference Driver from Lii Audio!
Reply #1 - 02/09/21 at 02:33:03

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 02/09/21 at 02:34:12

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 02/09/21 at 03:04:11

It brought back memories to paint these black again this past Sunday evening. Black was their original color in the early 1990's when I first made them. This is that original pair, a half a dozen enemas later. These have been my reference speaker since I made them. I've never been without them, they've always been hooked up, and are never moved. ; ). I've had them in 4 different rooms prior to this one, and have never heard them sound better. The imaging is so razor pin point sharp and there is just no distortion whatsoever. Presence is elevated but nicely balanced by the absolute scale of the bass. The only speaker that has actually ever hit harder than these is the Silver 10 in the Lii Audio Reference cabinets, but it's a much larger driver with better efficiency in an equally large cabinet and has lower response.

This horn was originally designed for 4 - 5.25 inch full-range drivers per side.  Located deep inside the throat of the horn.  The horn bent the low frequencies and with only a single bend was able to reflect the mids out to 4500 Hz where a small compression tweeter was used.  It had the tightest bass of any speaker I've heard to date.  Sadly the last thing you want in most rooms is a perfectly hemispherical wavefront from 30Hz ~ 4500Hz.  Oh, it's great with just one cabinet, but as soon as you add the second one you create a perfect standing wave down the center of the room, the size of the room.  The effect is zero bass heard inside the house.

To fix that bitter sweet success that made it impossible to listen to music in my at the time square room, I removed the internal drivers leaving the holes as ports and mounted a single 6 inch driver in the front.  This would make the horn only work on low frequencies below about 120 Hz.  The rest coming from the driver well off the floor ensure the standard come filter effect that most speakers have.  There would be bass somewhere in the room, that's for sure.

So that's a bit of background.  Sadly I've never been able to find a wood worker willing to tackle these because they have four compound radius angles that would make getting the joinery perfect for hardwood or veneer nearly impossible for anything less than the price of a car.  

Many in the DIY community have conquered a pair the same way I did, BONDO and paint which makes it affordable.

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/09/21 at 06:03:08

Beautiful!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rob7
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/09/21 at 06:13:06

Stop!  My wife is going to kill me!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/09/21 at 09:26:38

I have to agree with will. Back in a day, that corner horn was one of Steve's features that begged me to dive deeper in his sphere. Never heard the sound but the shear elegance of the design speaks well!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 02/11/21 at 03:15:54

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/11/21 at 06:24:19

Nice Steve! Hard to be clear with headphones and internet and all, but with the same headphone setup, 1st impressions, overall I like these better than the new Lii 10" cabinets. I enjoyed the Lii recordings, but thought I heard the boxes mids down and also a sort of intense focus and clarity with them. With these, I more hear an impressive representation of the music, and like how it is quite dynamic, but more relaxed.

The hardwood face is really nice! Did you hear good changes adding it? Version 2 Torii Jr driving the corner horns, guessing that is playing a notable part in this very nice sound equation.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/11/21 at 09:40:16

What amazes me is the sound that is projected out of the cabinets with 6" drivers. Seems that the six inchers are being pushed very hard with the Torii and displayed it a couple times. Albeit the sound does match the looks! Got me looking at the plans and figuring work arounds to facilitate easier construction. I do have a perfect room for these at home and may incorporate this design IF the HT is moved from the Chariot!

This hobby is going to certainty place me unwilling in the grave Wink

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Lii Audio Crystal 6 in the Decware Corner Horns!
Reply #10 - 02/11/21 at 20:17:36

Also, here is another demo using a drum solo.  This one I actually had to use a real recorder because the dynamics were way beyond anything the phone could deal with. I had to use a 20dB mic pad because I had it turned up so loud. You'll notice this recording isn't dulled down like the smart phone recordings. And it really shows off what the drivers and the horns for that matter are actually capable of.  Demo was made at a 10 watt level.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/um45vb9okm

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/11/21 at 21:26:40

Wow, great to hear so much more with the mic setup! And not just dynamics! Thanks.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/12/21 at 10:38:23

Still amazed! Sounds like some standing waves were mingling. A slight distraction. Could have been the recording. Other than that, fantastic! Just have to get to your place and witness it first hand.

I been eyeing those 6 inchers for some time. The F15s no matter what angle, would just be too big for my space. The crystal 10s were up for sale. I jumped on them, installed the drivers in some quick and dirty Huijgen's designed cabinetry and as it turned out a really nice combo. Now, looking into ways to actually turn the official cabinet 90 degrees to fit my scheme. Does anyone know the cubic ft or liters of the free space(without ribs) in the official cabinet?

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print