Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:51:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker binding posts, banana plus bare wire? (Read 4270 times)
pschaefer
Verified Member

Speaker binding posts, banana plus bare wire?
02/02/21 at 20:38:07

Hello!  Huge Decware fan here.  Long timer lurker, first time poster.

I'm adding a powered sub to my system, and I'm wondering if someone can help.  Can I use both banana jacks (out to speakers) simultaneous with bare wire (out to powered sub)?  I want to be sure I don't start a fire, and perhaps more importantly, I want to be sure I don't damage my amp!

Here are the details:

I currently use banana jacks out from the speaker binding posts on my SE341.5 amp to connect to DM945 speakers.

In addition to the banana jacks, I plan to add bare wire (up to 10 AWG in thickness, per the SE341.5 owners manual) as output from the speaker binding posts to the high-level inputs of a powered subwoofer.  I'm not sure if I will like having a sub, so I'm getting an inexpensive one to start (the 8" Monoprice sub that produces 60 watts).

So I would have banana jacks AND bare wire running out of the speaker binding posts on my SE341.5.  I'm thinking that it won't hurt the sound quality going to my speakers since the sub is powered.  And I'm thinking it's safe to have the speaker binding posts hooked up this way.  Can somebody let me know?

In retrospect, I should have sprung for the extra $100 to ask Steve to put a sub out on my SE341.5.  But since I didn't do that, I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a sub.

Thanks!
Peter

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Speaker binding posts, banana plus bare wire?
Reply #1 - 02/02/21 at 20:51:07

Welcome!

I have the same amp as you.  I have the same connection to a plate sub amp.  No problem!

You may want to purchase some banana plugs so that you do not need to connect with bare wire.  My plugs can piggy back or plug into each other.

You are on the right track.

IP Logged
pschaefer
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/02/21 at 21:36:29

Good to know. Thanks, DPC!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/03/21 at 04:57:56

Powered subwoofers have a very high input impedance, so the main amplifier will not be affected by the addition of the subwoofer.

Whatever works best or is the easiest way to wire it is fine.
You can even run wires from your main speakers to the subwoofer since the DM945s have dual posts.

IP Logged
pschaefer
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/03/21 at 14:43:13

Oh, I hadn't thought about that.  Thanks, Lin!

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/04/21 at 08:35:48

Welcome to the forums!  I have had several tube amps.  All three manuals for each have specified no more than one set of speakers at a time attached to the taps.  I just purchased a new Mystery Amp.  I downloaded the manual from the Mystery Amp page. It says the same.  

Good luck!

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/21 at 18:50:36

A tube amp can have more than one pair of speakers connected.

A powered subwoofer is not another pair of speakers (even if you have two), any powered sub I'm familiar with has such a high input impedance that the load will go from say 8 ohms to 7.9 ohms.

IP Logged
Larry Lang
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/02/21 at 22:23:04

I’ve got the same amp and speakers.  very impressed but agree that the addition of bass is needed.  I’m building my own speakers using Lii Audio Silver 10’s and will be adding Rel Ti5’s as well. (Two sets of speakers to see which set sounds best for different types of music).  I’ll try to do a review when they are finished.  The delay in building the speakers is due to the crazy decision to apply an auto finish.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/03/21 at 02:05:13

Hi Larry,

Sounds like you are going to have some fun.
I really like REL subs.
Please post some pictures of your new speakers when finished.

IP Logged
Larry Lang
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/17/21 at 20:59:38

Since my last post I’ve added the REL t5i subwoofers (2).  They make a huge difference when listening to rock.  Really compliment the 945 speakers.  With the phase guides, I think I’ve created the best of both world’s:  crazy clarity at the highs, fantastic midrange and solid but not earth shattering bass.
I continue building the speaker boxes for the Crystal 10’s.  The marine interior joints are reinforced with oak framing and glued with Titebond three.  Then sealed with Total Boat epoxy.  My objected was to reduce the risk of vibration/resonance.  I then installed mass loaded vinyl ( 1 pound) loosely stapled so the centers can flex to absorb low frequency.  The box is about as “dead” as as possible.  The back piece has an added 5/8” sound absorbing pad stapled to the MLV.  I’ve left open the ability to add more to the inside sides if need.
The outside back and bottom are now coated with two coats of Sparay Max epoxy, sanded to 240 and two coats of acrylic urethane primer sanded to 400.  They will be painted with flat black acrylic enamel.  The. Onto the sides, top and front preparing for the “ auto finish” in some 1970 Porsche color.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print