Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 10:18:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Plus 8 series of baffles (Read 7516 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

The Plus 8 series of baffles
01/31/21 at 20:01:49

Over the past couple of years, I have received quite a few requests from customers for baffles that would be a bit more "upscale" and fit into the "eye candy" category. There are several hundred pairs of plywood Betsy baffles that shipped to customers since 2015 and they are still making beautiful music for their owners.  I receive emails on a regular basis from customers who enjoy chatting about audio related topics and to let me know that their Betsy baffles are still "singing" .....

I recently decided to start offering the Lii 15 baffles in an upscale version with thicker baffles and rear mounted drivers, but need to update some of the tools in my shop to make that happen ..... hopefully by springtime.

In the meantime, I have built a few pairs of speakers with slightly thicker baffles with the WBAL Betsy and alnico drivers ..... the drivers being rear mounted with a roundover on the front side of the baffle for the driver opening.  They have turned out nicely according to everyone who has seen them.

I have created a new web page for these speakers and am calling them the "Plus-8" series ..... website link.

Here are a few photos of the ones recently completed .....

Two pairs have shipped to customers and one is my personal pair .....

Peruvian walnut / Padauk

Cherry

Wenge / Padauk

Larger photos here, here and here.

In addition to the Betsy drivers, I will be offering the Lii Audio Fast-8 drivers and the new Lii Audio Silver-8 drivers as an option.

The Silver-8 drivers are really good ..... I took a pair to a small audio get together yesterday and my local audio buddies gave thumbs up all around. A pair of the Silver-8 baffles and a third baffle with a Lii Audio W-15 bass driver or an Alpha bass baffle is a fine sounding full range system .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: The Plus 8 series of baffles
Reply #1 - 03/07/21 at 04:30:33

If ever a speaker design deserved and could benefit from a hi-end extra thick solid hardwood cabinet it is these.  It adds clarity and focus.

Congratulations on the evolution of such a wonderful product.  Still perhaps my all time favorite speaker recommendation.  I mean a pair of these with the selection of 8 inch drivers you have and the W15 sub baffle is clearly in reference territory.  The fact that I can get as big a sound stage as even the large Zen Master Series baffles from something so small and easy to move is not only appealing but adds tremendous flexibility and is really a no brainer.  Three small baffles and a 2.3 watt Zen and a couple of coils to place on the sub... don't worry I'll do a video on that as time allows.  You definitely won't need a sub amp.  The Zen Triode can run both speakers in Stereo and the Sub in Mono at the same time, and like it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/21 at 22:50:11

I'm really interested in how to use the w-15 woofer with my F-15's without the sub amp. lights, camera, action let's get that video rolling,  :)

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/21 at 23:27:45

Quote:
I'm really interested in how to use the w-15 woofer with my F-15's without the sub amp. lights, camera, action let's get that video rolling,  :)

I built some ugly baffles for the F15's I then bought a 15" sub flat pack from parts express. I used a flapper wheel to open the cut out just a little bit.

I'm sure if you exchange my ugly baffles for Randy's F15 baffles you will get great results.

https://www.parts-express.com/Knock-Down-MDF-3.0-ft-Subwoofer-Cabinet-for-Da-300...

I left it as a dipole? I'm not sure what it would be considered because I didn't put the back on.

Right now it's hooked up with thin wire and is held together with alligator clips. only other part is a 8ohm resistor and some herbies grungebuster between the baffle and sub box.

This setup plays down to down to 32hz and 90db+ with the UFO25th.

The bass is fantastic! tight, rich and blends great!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/21 at 00:23:36

I left it as a dipole? I'm not sure what it would be considered because I didn't put the back on.

See post #6 by johnk... here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/47428-open-baffle-u-fram...

Also http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/U_and_H_Frames.pdf
and https://www.linkwitzlab.com/H-U%20woofer2.htm

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/21 at 00:32:46

Check with Decware before you connect your mono subwoofer/bass helper this way. Your amp may not like it. Undecided
Stereo subwoofers/bass helpers are better anyway. Smiley

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/21 at 01:51:24

Lin, Thanks for the links I'll spend some time and go through the info.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #7 - 03/09/21 at 16:37:25

Steve wrote .....

Quote:
If ever a speaker design deserved and could benefit from a hi-end extra thick solid hardwood cabinet it is these.  It adds clarity and focus.

Congratulations on the evolution of such a wonderful product.  Still perhaps my all time favorite speaker recommendation.  I mean a pair of these with the selection of 8 inch drivers you have and the W15 sub baffle is clearly in reference territory.  The fact that I can get as big a sound stage as even the large Zen Master Series baffles from something so small and easy to move is not only appealing but adds tremendous flexibility and is really a no brainer.  Three small baffles and a 2.3 watt Zen and a couple of coils to place on the sub... don't worry I'll do a video on that as time allows.  You definitely won't need a sub amp.  The Zen Triode can run both speakers in Stereo and the Sub in Mono at the same time, and like it.

Yep ..... having four options for the 8" drivers (original Betsy, alnico Betsy, Lii Fast-8 and Lii Silver-8) will satisfy the "audio sweet tooth" of many music lovers. They all sound different and all sound good.
The front end equipment and amplifier being used and personal taste will determine which one sounds "best".
Adding a Lii Audio W-15 driver in a third baffle creates a very nice full range system. For those on a budget, adding an Eminence Alpha driver or an inexpensive powered subwoofer is a cost effective option.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video on the woofer hookup ...

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
fitmartin
Verified Member

Audiophile since
early 70’s

Reply #8 - 03/11/21 at 02:21:33

Received mine a couple days ago and am very satisfied!

added an ambient super tweeter facing the ceiling as well as a fast powered subwoofer  

Thanks Randy for your amazing woodworking skills on my baffles!

Caintuck plus 8 alnico speakers and powered 10" subwoofer
many amplifiers
MacBook Pro streaming Tidal HiFi Masters
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #9 - 03/11/21 at 16:37:58

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for the kind words .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print