Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 02:31:05 

Poll
Question: Which sounds best overall, Sample A or B?

Sample A
Sample B

« Created by: Steve Deckert on: 01/08/21 at 05:15:18 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which of these two samples sounds best? (Read 30954 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Which of these two samples sounds best?
01/02/21 at 06:30:44

Waiting for the trademark registration to come back as I post this.

In 2001 I started working on a process to predominately make digital sound more like analogue. Over the years I have revisited it many times, and have made dramatic improvements until finally in 2020 in the midst of all this Covid crap I finished it. It has evolved into a fully analogue mastering process that is used to make recordings sound better. That means while it is a proprietary analog process, it has nothing to do with digital vs. analog.  It works both ways which is to say it will capture the magic of analog tape on digital files as well as improve digital masters prior to printing to tape.

Anyway I'm really pleased with the final result so I extend the following offer: If you have a great recording on 24bit digital or analog tape that you think can't get any better, send it to me and I will remaster a copy of it for your comparison. The process is fully adjustable giving it the ability to overcome recordings with limiting like virtually all streaming music today. Of course if you have non-limited masters that is what we would prefer.

As you might expect it's an extremely purist process, all point-to-point wired. What it's not is a rack of pro-audio components, processors, cables, computers and plastic - quite the opposite. This process is the Zen of processing if you will, its simplicity is no different than our amplifiers and equally stunning.

Thought I would start 2021 with a bang!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: High Fidelity Sound Labs!
Reply #1 - 01/02/21 at 06:31:00

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 01/02/21 at 06:55:55

Love the name.  The logo is distinct in that it has a look that is unlikely to get confused with another brand...a good thing.  So, I find it both unique and professional looking.

This is very intriguing and I will absolutely be following your developments.  I will definitely take you up on your offer and will send a file that checks the boxes in order to experience your process.  Certainly the end product of either improving digital files or positively influencing digital recordings prior to going to tape can only bring positive outcomes.  

Not knowing anything about what you have developed, it seems damn cool!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/03/21 at 02:33:29

This sounds like one of the best ideas. Anything that improves the sound of digital must get top marks. I thank you for bringing this out.

Brian

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/03/21 at 23:10:10

Congrats Steve! Looking forward to how this will unfold. Maybe someday it could be something that we can plug between our streamer and the amp Smiley Something like a zrock++ Wink

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 01/04/21 at 01:41:44

A ZROCK2 is all anyone needs to fix deflated playback.  

As far as the process for HFSL, it is not a one size fits all solution.  It has to be set up for individual recordings based on the recordings needs.  It's not something that can be packaged like a ZROCK2 ; )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 01/05/21 at 03:58:50

The process is just about the recording.  It works on digital and analogue alike.  I am presently testing on 2nd generation analog masters that were live 2 track with no mixer.  The acid test if you will.  Hopefully I'll be able to post the results and let you pick which one you think sounds best.  I plan on posting several blind A/B tests here in the forum to see if we all pick the same favorites or what kind of diversity there will be.  Should be great fun!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/05/21 at 06:04:23

Great idea !

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 01/08/21 at 05:22:04

INFORMATION BELOW ABOUT THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THIS THEAD

So as I prepare the first A/B test, I've been working with Ed Pong of UltraAnalogue Recordings because in my experience he makes the highest resolution, most pure live two track recordings on the planet.  (I'm pretty sure he and I would both love it if I were wrong because you can't have enough of this kind of recording quality / musicianship / acoustics on the planet.). I'm pretty sure I'm right though.

Anyway, the ultimate acid test for the High Fidelity Sound Labs process would naturally be one of Ed's recordings, because if you can take something that is virtually perfect and make it better or different without ruining it, well, trust me, that would be the ultimate achievement.  

Remember the process is designed to create audiophile versions of existing masters that for whatever reason sound congested, dry, perhaps a little flat, or cold, or hard. Hard is the worse one.  Basically, designed to make less than perfect recordings sound better. So that obviously leads one to wonder what will happen if it's applied to recordings that don't need any help, or are otherwise unimproveable?

I realized many years ago during the Spring Street Studio years that when it comes to recordings, the information is in there. The recording is like a code that contains the information, and your playback system is like the decoder. It's all about phase angles across the frequency band at every stage of the chain that both create the code and solve the code.  So it is usually possible to extract good sound from seemingly hopeless recordings if you have the tools to make the adjustments.

So the first attempt at creating this acid A/B test basically failed.  It failed because Ed's tape didn't sound right.  It sounded hard.  Dimensionality was congested and compressed, the Piano, stage left, was struggling and didn't sound anything like Ed's actual piano.  Yet, you couldn't actually find anything wrong with it.  How many times has that happened to you?

Nevertheless, desperate to hear the damn tape sound good on that particular night, I decided to apply the process to it and monitor it live which I did.  That made it sound good which was a real achievement, at least to me, even though I traded some top end deliberately out of desperation, to the average listener it would probably sound better.

I have since found the cause of the less than perfect sound from the tape, and believe it to have been a cable connection on the left channel on the particular night.

So to let you experience in real time the testing of this process with the final results still unknown, I though it would be fun to start with the damaged recording and my attempt to fix it.  Sample A and Sample B respectably.  Then we'll get to the real stuff.  So in the next post I will set up a poll where you can listen to both Sample A and B on headphones or your stereo and vote on which one you like better overall.

There are two samples:

One is the Direct Dump From Tape 24/96 wav format that I suspect was crippled by a cable.

The other was the High Fidelity Sound Labs process inserted between the tape and digital recorder in an attempt to fix the sound. 24/96 wav format.

Here are the links to the files:

SAMPLE A - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xKFXm6YEDORKF4hOdt0ib-WaV2Eikvka/view?usp=shari...

SAMPLE B - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xmaFKr0tZ87ZWRt5CnElAx2nT8UNncTg/view?usp=shari...

Listen to these both and then vote in the pole.  A great way to do it is to load each into an audio player on the computer so you can hit play on one then hit pause... hit play on the other then hit pause... and go back and forth as many times as you want to do direct A/B comparisons measure by measure.

I am intersted in peoples results on all types of playback systems, lo-fi, mid-fi, hi-fi and on both headphones and speakers.

Thanks your participation is appreciated.  This test will be repeated once we get sample A sounding so good it would be stupid to mess with it.  Of course that is all on the playback side.  Tonight I am listening to it without the cable issue and having a hard time staying in my body.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 01/08/21 at 06:05:42

Uh oh....  did you cut open the bag?

Quote:
This test will be repeated once we get sample A sounding so good it would be stupid to mess with it.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 01/10/21 at 03:45:21

Thank you to the guest who voted.  We now have one vote for Sample B.

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Which of these two samples sounds best?
Reply #11 - 01/10/21 at 12:07:09

I was waiting for the B-C comparison.  Seems the A-B was skewed.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/10/21 at 14:32:42

On my 8 year old laptop playing through the speakers,. I played Sample B first which was fine. Then when Sample A hit I wanted to turn it off, which I did. I was browsing the internet so wasn't really listening.

Still browsing the internet, I Airplayed to a BlueSound Node 2i which is hooked up to my main system. Sample B first, which was again pleasant. Sample A I looked up and thought sounds like a hot radio edit. The violin really just jumped out screeching. I listened to the entire Sample A without turning it off.

So on Lo-Fi and Mid-Fi I would say Sample B wins for enjoy-ability.  

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 01/10/21 at 21:33:55

Well they sure did sound different.

I won't say what my vote was as to not sully the results.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #14 - 01/10/21 at 23:59:20

Steve,
Would you like commentary in this thread or would you prefer us to vote and hold off until you close the poll?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/11/21 at 00:30:45

Very distinct differences, even on my desktop Monsoon speakers played through my Realtek sound card.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 01/11/21 at 03:11:04

I don't think anyone is going to be swayed by commentary enough to actually pick a sample they don't personally like so go ahead and comment all you want.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/11/21 at 04:29:29

For me the sample B piano had a more true to piano tone.
The samples were too big for my computer connection so that the sound was intermittent as the machine kept rebuffering. This made it difficult to evaluate them, but I preferred B.

Brian

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/11/21 at 08:25:01

Sample A sounds a bit more upper-mid heavy to me.  It is more in your face.  Sample B sounds more airy and more even in the mid register in comparison to Sample A.  It gave me the impression that the recording of Sample B included both close mic'ing and ambient mic'ing, and the latter used for a natural reverb.  The recording in Sample A is as if it was recorded only with ambient mic'ing and I do not hear much body in the instruments.

I am not sure if the volumes of the two samples were matched, Sample B sounds a tad louder to my ears.  Also, I feel like Sample B has a tad more room reverb.

Between the two I prefer Sample B.  But please note that this is through my  iPhone in-ears via an iMac.  For a more detailed analysis, I have to listen to it on my UFO25!

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
SteveLuck
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 01/11/21 at 10:08:43

Listening on Tiny radials I built, bluetooth from PC to Amp - Sample A just sounds quite sharp the violin just dominates what should be a duet.  Sample B sounds a bit rounded off but it's the one I'd choose to listen to.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 01/11/21 at 17:56:34

Listening on my computer -- nothing fancy.  I was prepared to hate A but it's the one I prefer.  B sounds muted, under water and not as "live."

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #21 - 01/11/21 at 21:39:51

I'm going with B

I thought the violin and piano sounded better together in B.  More complementary in B.  Like they were fighting each other a little in A.

I felt like I'd get tired of A quite fast, but could listen to B all day.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 01/11/21 at 21:57:06

Within three seconds I knew I would prefer Sample B. Compared on Apple MacBook laptop speakers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 01/12/21 at 01:45:28

While listening on crappy headphones, listening through my computer, sample B had less edgy highs than A but the primary thing I noticed was the piano had more body and weight compared to sample A. Both instruments sounded more real and balanced.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 01/12/21 at 02:45:32

Via current generation ipad and hifiman 400’s, version A sounds like a real violin and piano in the room.  Nice dynamics.  Excellent rendering of details, especially from the violin.

Version B sounds as if both instruments are in a closet with a heavy blanket covering the door.  Dynamics are non-existant.  The sound is completely lifeless.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/12/21 at 03:01:22

Just had the wife listen.....she said version A perfectly depicts a freshly rosined bow crunching on the strings.  She also commented on the massive difference in dynamic range between the two versions, much preferring the wide dynamic range of A.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #26 - 01/12/21 at 05:38:23

I guess I have a reference point that is rather unique, having been part of the audience at Ed Pong's concert venue during a live performance and recording of a world-class pianist and cellist.    

I chose A because it brought me right back to the concert that evening. The instruments in A sounded real, and true to life as though I was in the room with them again.  

Listening preferences being subjective, I could understand why some would choose B, but A sounded superior on my system knowing what piano and strings sound like at Ed's place. Like a couple others have noted, I too felt as though B was a bit rolled off, our "round."  It seemed as though there was a bit of Hall effect, ever so slightly, in the B recording.  Anyway, it was a fun exercise and I'm curious to learn more about each file.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 01/12/21 at 17:13:05

I preferred A, both on my laptop speakers and through headphones. This will be an interesting referendum on the listening preferences of those who hang out here, and may provide some insight as to why they prefer Decware gear.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/12/21 at 17:32:11

Sample A seems to be lacking something on my system.  The very first note where the second tone adds a fullness to the sound is so much more pleasing on Sample B.

Sample B gets my vote.

I downloaded the files
used Foobar to UNP into my Allo Piano PI dac
Played back on my second system.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #29 - 01/12/21 at 21:09:55

HP Desktop > USB Out > Grant Fidelity Tube DAC > Virtue Audio Sensation > EB Acoustic EB 1's.  Not quite ultimate Hi-Fi but pretty good for my WAH setup.  Definitely "B", it seems to have more depth to it and the back ground instruments have more detail and air.  You can really hear what's going on in the entire piece not just the up front violin.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #30 - 01/13/21 at 23:55:43

Interesting, that in just this little group there are so many that REALLY like B and so many others that REALLY like A.  Hard to build something that people like when people's tasted are so different.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #31 - 01/14/21 at 01:56:52

Dank, time will tell. This particular test is rather unique. For example, we already know that sample A is closest to the actual recording and sample B was an attempt to fix it. It was later discovered that sample A sounded crippled on the left channel that is dominated by the piano.  It was due to a bad cable during the transfer from tape to digital. This made the recording (sample A) sound colder and artificially feature the violin. Since sample B used sample A it too is flawed. I think that is what makes this so interesting at this particular stage of the game.

As for actual dynamics, both files are identical, scoring a (~12) on Roon's dynamic range analyzer.  

WWW   IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/14/21 at 02:04:10

......wondering how many of us realize the high level of abrasiveness inherent in violin playing.  Having lived 30 of my 62 years with two budding violinists—violinists that ultimately majored in violin performance at university—I can confirm that even the sweetest most tender violin playing is grating on listeners, especially when in close proximity to the player.  

In the case of our poll music, the short excerpt chosen by Steve is from Tchaikovsky’s violin concerto in D, and it was written to be played extremely aggressively, with what many consider to be harsh bowing, as if the violin is being attacked by the bow.  We’re talking heavy coarse violent bowing such that the solo violinist dominates the entire orchestra.

Would this information move anyone’s vote from B to A?   Not lobbying for A.....just curious.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 01/14/21 at 17:31:33

Doug, I think you nailed it for me.  What attracted me to A was the rawness of the sound.  I didn't care for the "eased edges" of B.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #34 - 01/15/21 at 18:03:32

Here are the votes so far ...

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/15/21 at 18:19:58

You missed my vote for A.  I need to pump up the minority!   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #36 - 01/15/21 at 20:09:24

I preferred A.  

B sounds just a bit muffled to me.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #37 - 01/15/21 at 23:19:24

Your votes don't count unless you actually vote.

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 01/15/21 at 23:32:17

That's what happens when you don't read the top of a thread!   Embarrassed

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 01/16/21 at 06:45:14

I wonder if those of us who are disagreeing on the A or B choice actually have similar taste, but are hearing the samples differently because of different computer sound cards and other components.

Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 01/16/21 at 11:06:03

In my case, I listened with a 'middle of the road' set of cans plugged into a Samsung phone. A sounded lifelessly thin while B sounded full and vibrant. After reading some of the comments on this thread, it seems the details can also shine with A and become bloated with B  system dependant. Somehow I can picture it!
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #41 - 01/16/21 at 13:22:46

Brian wrote on 01/16/21 at 06:45:14:
I wonder if those of us who are disagreeing on the A or B choice actually have similar taste, but are hearing the samples differently because of different computer sound cards and other components.

Brian

Well I listened through my normal stereo setup, no sound cards in my chain.

Computer, Denafrips Ares II, Torii III, my open baffles.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 01/17/21 at 20:56:33

This isn't really about these 2 digital Samples, but a fantastic concert that was streamed yesterday by violinist Alena Baeva in Paris, playing the same Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto (in these 2 Samples...)

Of course, only YouTube sound, but a great performance of a great piece of music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSPbD_BocsE&t=423s

Enjoy

Ed

IP Logged
Mike_L
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 01/18/21 at 20:22:26

@Ed: Just wanted to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed the DSD128 digital download of the Cello Suite played by Sietse-Jan Weijenberg. I don't have the tape or tape equipment to compare but I can say that the listening experience of playing that file through the ZDSD > SE84UFO25 > '78 Khorns is better, with greater dynamics and presence than my best SACD played through an Oppo 105 to the same amp and Khorns. It's not quite apples to apples but there it is and that brings me to Steve's samples which are driving me nuts. Here's why:

1. Played A and B on ZDSD > SE84UFO25 > '78 Khorns and chose B. I then voted for B as a guest (too lazy to log in).
2. Played A and B on ZDSD > SE84UFO2   >  Lii Audio Crystal 10s and chose B.
3. Played A and B on PC > Klipsch THX computer speakers and chose A.

In no way am I inferring that B sounds better on a "better" system than sample A, just that there are a lot of variables at play and on my stuff B gets the nod. BTW, I only voted once.

Mike_L

cxc>tubadourIIIse>cj pv-1>firebottle kt-88>78 khorns; Sarah 300B on order
sme15/309>eq-500>D. Had 6flv-v>lii audio silver 10
cdt2-mk3>musetec mh-da005>dna stratus>susvara or bhse>stax sr009s
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 01/18/21 at 21:17:05

Mike,

Thanks for your having a listen & kind words! I'm very happy that DSD128 downloaded sounded better than your best SACD..! I had a friend with some Khorns & they sounded great with the right amps. Congrats on a great system!

On Steve's sample A&B, if I'm reading this thread right, sample A is the file which has a problem with an interconnect... so I think we need to wait till Steve puts up the proper sample A, then his mastering of this A to see the real effects.

Personally, A sounded a bit bright & thin at times, with more high frequency energy but "closer" to what it should be, but it was still far from my digital download sound. B sounded a bit soft & rolled off, the brightness was gone & likely some may prefer that sound... it's easier to listen to.

Ed

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 01/18/21 at 21:38:37

Nothing special, just a laptop with Sennheiser HD580 headphones.
I preferred A

B sounded hollow, louder, rolled off.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #46 - 01/19/21 at 04:28:10

NEW SAMPLES!

Since Ed was kind enough to send me a 24/192 file of Sample A made from the actual master tape -- that will be our New Sample A.

The process I use contains two basic areas; 1) Basic Tone Repair which leaves everything original but with more tone and does it without EQ.  2) Manipulation using four triodes which changes textures, dimension, feel.  This is obviously the interesting part of the process and would be the only part applicable to such a perfect recording.  

Since there is no need for tone repair on Sample A that part of the process was simply skipped again.

To really wrap your head around what this process can do, compare each sample at 1:40 back to back a few times and you will see that the bowing is changed.  Of course that's impossible, yet there it is. Actually I don't know if 'bowing' the right term, but it actually sounds like someone else is playing it.

I wouldn't say that the New Sample B is any kind of an improvement over the New Sample A, it only demonstrates it's ability to change something.

And in fairness, the High Fidelity Sound Lab process would never have been conceived if all music on the planet sounded as good as Ed's recordings, and we already know that really virtually none ARE better.

We'll get into more samples as this goes on, samples that do need help, or sound better completely rearranged.

The New Sample A and Sample B are uploaded to the same folder as before.

THE OLD POLL was 15 for sample B and 11 for sample A.  I have cleared all the volts so please vote again using the new samples!

Thanks,

Steve

NEW SAMPLE A https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YvBMRZzYhGQdNc0X80JdS301-_EZTTGh/view?usp=shari...

NEW SAMPLE B https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bGstzymk-QVkde4L5GW4JNuqOQ48Oz4-/view?usp=shari...

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 01/19/21 at 07:05:29

This confirms for me my preference for A.  The harshness is gone.  B still sounds muted.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 01/19/21 at 13:51:12

Steve,
Thanks for these new Samples! Definitely fun stuff you're doing!
Without being specific, my sense is, B sounds like you're "looking" at a beautiful scene, but the window is covered with a slight mist...

A sounds like there is no glass in the window...

I think this demonstrates just how much any component, wire, tube, etc can change the sound... Everything has an effect... just what is it.
I'm sure what you've come up with is a fantastic way to have some control over the sound.

It confirms how important the recording & playback sound path is...

A good example is your first Sample A. It came from this tape, but just an interconnect was off & it changed the sound completely.

I'm interested to hear it's effects on a bright nasty sounding digital recording...

Ed

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 01/19/21 at 14:26:35

Listened to the new samples on my Rachel and RL3's, no cans.

Sample A sounded harsh and without depth.

Sample B Was warmer with better definition.

Obviously I voted for B

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print