Christmas Came Early! (Read 479 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Christmas Came Early!
12/01/20 at 00:12:54

So 5 months almost to the day after I ordered them my UFOs were delivered today. I'll have (much) more to say about them as I get to know them better, and start rolling through the wide variety of input, power and rectifier tubes I've accumulated. But I've got to say that right out of the box, or "cold off the bench" they sound FANTASTIC!!!! I have them configured as balanced mono-blocks and hooked up to Omega SAMS (resplendent in Macassar Ebony) and I am blown away by the resolution, dynamics and tonality that I am hearing.

Everyone says Decware amps are more than worth the wait, and more than worth double or triple the price. And now I'm a believer too.  Steve has a special product and I couldn't be happier I found it.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Christmas Came Early!
Reply #1 - 12/01/20 at 00:50:06

Congratulations!!!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/20 at 00:50:10

Hey James,

Welcome to the higher plane  ;D  You're going to love it!

Agreed, the pinpoint resolution is astounding with Decware amplification, and the Omega combination. It keeps getting better.

Are you using a preamp with those wonderful monoblocks?

ENJOY!

Brad

IP Logged
Emre Manav
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/20 at 02:48:50

Congrats! I also expect my order to arrive in around 5 months. And boy is it hard to wait...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 12/01/20 at 03:30:37

Thanks guys. I must say, in addition to hoarding acquiring a nice collection of tubes just hanging out here listening to you talk about your experiences has been a great way to pass the time, and maybe even learn something. So thanks for sharing.

Re: Preamp. I am using a Woo Audio WA22 as a pre/headphone amp. But, since I don't want the extra hours on my preamp tubes, while I'm going thru breakin I'm also re-wiring the amps in "regular" bridged mono so I can run them directly from the RCA outputs of my Yamaha CD-S2100. And they sound really good like that as well. But perhaps missing the last drop of detail and dynamics compared to balanced. My plan is run the amps over night into an 8 ohm dummy load for the next couple of weeks. That way I can season the amps and run in the different input tubes while I sleep. And just FWIW I skipped the Decware rectifiers and am using National Union 5Z3s for now, because I have no faith in current production.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/20 at 14:19:22

Congrats on the amps! Have you tried running just one amp yet? How / does the sound change?

I suggest not running them over night into a dummy load. Part of the seasoning process is to let them get cold. Steve recommends 5 hours on 5 hours off for fastest burn in.

It is wild how adding a good pre amp just adds some magic to the music.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 12/02/20 at 04:36:29

Thanks Groovy. How the system sounds with just one amp is a potentially interesting question, but not one I'm keen to answer. Mostly because I don't have (nice) speaker cables long enough to make it work. That is actually one of many reasons I like monoblock amps: short speaker cables.

I can tell you this though, according to my iPhone SPL app, when I'm listening to my favorite music as loud as I'd like (which is the exception, not the rule) the peaks are in the mid to high 90 dBs in my smallish room. Which would probably be a stretch for 2 watts and 94 dB efficient speakers, but is fine with 5 or 6 watts. I would have bought two amps to run balanced and use short speaker cables even if power wasn't an issue, but I’m happy I've got the extra watts.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/03/20 at 16:03:42

Nice! I now have 22 tubes hoarded for my February 2021 delivery amp! I might even buy a few more!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print