Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:45:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood board mounting grounding protocol (Read 1820 times)
jbohlscheid
Verified Member

Wood board mounting grounding protocol
11/13/20 at 23:40:16

Fellow Zkit 1 builders: I am a bit confused with the descriptions and definitions of the grounding for the most recent Zkit 1 pcb. There is a note that "both the circuit ground and the ground plane be tied together with a short jumper" Also, " an earth ground must be connected between the amplifier's ground plane and the ground lug of your power cord." There is a "chassis ground" next to the 100 ohm resistors and a "ground case of vol control" next to the potentiometer. Is chassis ground = circuit ground and the ground plane = the ground case? From the drawing under CHASSIS WIRING the chassis ground it connected to the power power cord IEC connection.

Another question: for the IEC power cord receptacle, I assumed this can be a combined switched receptacle (I have one from Parts Express). Is there and specifications to be aware of. Also I do not see any fuses associated with the build. Is this a good idea to prevent a loss of one's hard work? If so any suggestions on the fuse specs and locations?

Thanks for any assistance Smiley

IP Logged
one6180339
Verified Member

Re: Wood board mounting grounding protocol
Reply #1 - 12/12/21 at 02:13:41

I have the same question as I have just begun my build. As far as I can tell the "chassis ground" point is connected to all grounds in the circuit and I am beginning to suspect that the "circuit ground to board shield" jumper verbiage is a hold over from a previous version.

What did you end up doing on your build?

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/22 at 07:15:34

No answers so far to this very important question. Any clarification on this question ? I'm starting my build on a board and have a hammond wood sided chassis that I'll likely move into as I complete and mod the build.

I'm wondering the same thing. What to do with the ground ?

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #3 - 01/11/22 at 13:45:38

AFAIK the idea of a jumper on the board is a hold over. I haven't seen the latest board.

Ground lug of AC to chassis. Ground the board to chassis. The board has connections for all the transformer taps, including center tap. If you use wood, ground to board. Shielded RCA cable is important and the shield should be grounded to board. The case for the pot you use *may* also need to be grounded.

Nothing special on the power plug, just make sure you have the right fuse value installed, or add one if the IEC does not have.

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/12/22 at 06:17:48

Thanks for the help. I’m new at the audio electronics rodeo and am just getting my feet wet and learning the language here. Save for the soldering practice noise maker I just built, this is my first  creation. I’ll start a new thread on that.

Let me see if I understood in operational terms what you said:

grounding the lug of AC and the printed circuit board would consist of running a wire from each to some kind of fastener to the chassis. What are the requirements of the material of the chassis ?  

“If you use wood, ground to the board” Do you mean ground to the wood board or to the circuit board. If to the circuit board, how do I do this ?

On the current board there appears to be a ground for the pot.

What gauge shielded wire should I look for ?

Thanks for the reminder about the fuse !  

Great appreciation in advance for your help.

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #5 - 01/12/22 at 13:16:36

AC has 3 wires. The ground should go to the board ground point. 18/20 guage solid core will be fine. Earth from the wall goes to ground.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print