Send Topic Print
CSP3 lead tube (Read 1432 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

CSP3 lead tube
10/29/20 at 23:22:54

I posted the following last May:

Quote:
Sorry about the tube whine.  I had a similar issue with a Tungsram PC88 that I had in the lead position of my CSP3.  I also use them in my ZMA.  The tube that went bad was in for about one year.  I replaced it with a Russian 6N1P-EV.  (I think the EV is the military version and are more stoutly built.)  Those are great tubes and are readily available from ebay sellers.  I like them in my CSP3 and ZMA but I like the Tungsram a bit better.  The Tungsram are MUCH more expensive than the 6N1P-EVs.  The last time I bought the latter I paid $25 for ten, delivered.  My last Tungsram cost me $17 each!

Soon after this I put another NOS Tungsram PC88 in the CSP3 in the lead spot.  A few days ago that tube started whining through the right channel.  I put the Russian 6N1P-EV tube back in and all is right again.  The Tungsram PC88s that I put in my ZMA  a year and a half ago are still going strong.  Is it possible that the CSP3 lead tube is under an unusual amount of stress and maybe the military grade Russian tubes can better handle it?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP3 lead tube
Reply #1 - 10/31/20 at 01:27:58

I seem to recall that’s exactly what happened

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print