Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:03:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO2 ordered - help buying additional tubes! (Read 1845 times)
canonken
Seasoned Member

SE84UFO2 ordered - help buying additional tubes!
10/06/20 at 01:47:26

Hi,

Could you point me in the direction of some good threads (or links) to buy some additional tubes?  Not that I am eager to immediately roll, but if there are things that are out there, good, and available, I'd rather buy them and have them on hand vs. waiting around months or years, then they are gone.

If you want to be kind to a novice, would love to know specifics (like a link to a specific product vs. 'just buy a 6922 that is compatible with your amp' - I don't know exactly what is compatible or what is good).

I'm happy to start with buying a set from the online store here (potentially just getting a clone of what the amp ships with) as well as some other options.

As a related question, there are three types of tubes on this amp, how does the life compare?  As in, if the output and rectifier tubes are going to only last 2000 hours and the input tube will last 5000 hours, I would be happy to get more total output and rectifier tubes.

No specific budget.  Not looking to go for the $200 NOS stuff, but if there is a really nice $50 tube vs a $20-30 one, no problem.

If it helps, I am more of a 'warm' guy than looking for sparkle or clarity.  I'm all about mids and something 'pleasant' to listen to.

Thanks, appreciate the help!

Ken

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE84UFO2 ordered - help buying additional tubes!
Reply #1 - 10/06/20 at 01:55:31

Ken, if you're all about mids and warm the stock tubes are pretty darned good--Steve tests his tubes thoroughly and in ways many others don't. . . so my advice is get the amp, let it season in and if you are happy with the sound buy additional tubes from him. The most "vulnerable" imo in his complements is the rectifiers. His advice to "get a good NOS rectifier" is a good one as a start; RCA 5U4 are a good choice.

Input tubes in these amps can last as long as 5,000 to 10,000 hours, output tubes last about a year of heavy use, and rectifiers. . . the stock ones a few years, a good NOS one possibly twice that and more.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO2 ordered - help buying additional tubes!
Reply #2 - 10/06/20 at 04:01:59

Thanks!

I have a long wait time (16 weeks! - but I get it, no problem!) so having some tube show up give me something to be excited about!

I'm certainly in the camp of not needing to 'do something' just for the sake of doing it.  If what the amp ships with is good, I'm happy to stick with that and order replacements so I have something on-hand to keep me going.

Have a beefy SS amp, and a quad KT88 amp to keep me going, so I see adding this into the rotation.  As such don't expect 'heavy' use but I was smitten going from the SS to KT88 amp (but still use the SS for 'throw away' stuff or when it is on all day for just background), and let's see what happens here!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print