Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:16:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO2 Build Questions (Read 510 times)
Eldergod
Verified Member

SE84UFO2 Build Questions
08/19/20 at 21:19:22

Thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on one of these.  The wood base and the meters are worth the extra cost to me (I know it's vain, but w/e).  I have read as much as I can find about the Beeswax bypass Mod, and will probably spring for that as the consensus seems to suggest it's the best bang for the buck upgrade.  Is it silly to not also get the Type II Beeswax cap upgrade?  Also, are there any other mods that are popular but maybe not listed?  I would love to have the UFO25, but it's simply out of reach from a budget standpoint for me.  Appreciate any guidance.

SE84UFO2 w/25th mods, TEAC AI-2000, Pass ACA, Pro-Ject Carbon Black DC, Schiit Mani, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Gallo Reference 3.1, X-LS Encores, DIY Caintuck Betsy’s, Audio-Pro B2-40, PE SUB-800, Drop HiFiman HE4XX, Drop Senn. HD6XX, Bottlehead Crack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE84UFO2 Build Questions
Reply #1 - 08/19/20 at 22:05:26

Regarding the beeswax cap options. . . I've had units with the standard caps, the beeswax and the copper beeswax. Honestly they're all good options. I do prefer the copper beeswax myself BUT. . . they are the real audiophile deal in that they will show you everything, in a nice way, but they can tempt you into tweaking everything, rolling everything, updating everything. . . .They can definitely take you deep into the "listening to the hardware" zone, and just as far back from "enjoying the hell out of the music" zone. . . if you're not careful. Hope that makes sense. The standard beeswax are a bit less so, very musical and enjoyable. I have only had the power supply bypass mods with the copper caps, but the bypass is a very very worthwhile investment.

As for other mods, I really like stepped attenuators myself and I think they slightly improve the sound, but that may be a moot point as only once have I made a comparison in the same component. I like them because I can keep track of where one  control is in comparison to another (especially as I have Monoblocks and dual controls on my ZBIT).

You could also inquire about glass resistors. I am unsure of their current availability or if Steve will install them in this model, but my experience with one in the CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods I have is that they are a nice improvement.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/20 at 13:24:25

Thanks Lon.  Appreciate the response and experience.  Definitely helps.
Very much appreciated!

SE84UFO2 w/25th mods, TEAC AI-2000, Pass ACA, Pro-Ject Carbon Black DC, Schiit Mani, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Gallo Reference 3.1, X-LS Encores, DIY Caintuck Betsy’s, Audio-Pro B2-40, PE SUB-800, Drop HiFiman HE4XX, Drop Senn. HD6XX, Bottlehead Crack
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 08/20/20 at 19:37:46

You could also inquire about glass resistors. I am unsure of their current availability or if Steve will install them in this model, but my experience with one in the CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods I have is that they are a nice improvement.

I am not sure of their availability either, but if you decide you want them, I would highly recommend you purchase them in advance and have Sarah pull the part while you wait for the build...which could take months.

Back late last year I made the decision in to making my next purchase the SE84UFO25.  At that time the stock was getting a bit low.  I called Sarah, prepaid her for the resistors, had her pull the parts and put my name on them.  That way when I make my purchase I know my amp will have them even if Steve is out of stock.  

These glass resistors are apparently hard to resource, and when Steve said he having difficulty, I decided to buy them ASAP.  

Hope this helps.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print