03/28/24 at 23:46:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surge protection?? (Read 3827 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

Surge protection??
07/06/20 at 18:31:55

I'm wondering if the ZLC offers any surge protection benefits? The reason I ask is all the outlets on mine have Decware gear plugged in and we just experienced a severe lightening strike that took out our well and stripped all the insulation on the wiring in the utility room and below ground to the well.  Fried one TV, modem, satellite receiver and a few other items. Fortunately all the Decware was unscathed. Did the ZLC possibly help spare the gear? Just curious.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Surge protection??
Reply #1 - 07/06/20 at 18:50:02

Although I am not using mine now, I have felt protected when I did. I replaced mine with a regenerator and set it aside--since then the regenerators saved all 3 of my systems from a whole house prolonged low voltage situation thanks to the illuminating company.

On the audiogon forum one owner quotes Steve as saying the ZLC does spike, not surge protection--and I think it protected you gear from spikes. I seem to remember Steve saying that here. Sorry about the other gear!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/06/20 at 19:04:28

Thanks, yes the well is the really big expensive part of the deal. A real blessing that the Decware and 3 other audio system in the house were all spared.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/06/20 at 19:56:57

Steve discussed this in the original ZLC thread.  I don't think the ZLC offers surge protection but Steve says his amps don't need any.  I installed surge protected outlets that my ZLC plugs into -- not everything on the ZLC is Decware.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/06/20 at 20:42:23

Good idea on the surge protected outlets. I need several of them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/06/20 at 23:59:24

I may be able to help you out with PS Audo versions of such if you want to PM me. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/07/20 at 00:23:55

I posted in that thread about what I used.  The were Leviton, hospital grade, I think.  They have an LED light on them and an audible alarm if they've been compromised.  Good peace of mind.  I keep meaning to someday put an all house protector in my electrical panel at the meter.  They cost $150 here but are a one shot deal if struck.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print