Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 03:16:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Connect ZMA 4ohm/8ohm taps to 6-post speakers + sw (Read 1470 times)
cmdc

Connect ZMA 4ohm/8ohm taps to 6-post speakers + sw
06/09/20 at 18:00:57

I recently bought a ZMA and am loving it.  Having upgraded to the  ZMA from my previous amp, I took the leap to buy some nicer speaker cables as well.  But it's created the following problem.

The amp is wired to Von Schweikert VR4jr III speakers, which have two modules, and three pairs of binding posts per side.  VS recommends the speakers be bi-wired for best sound, which in practice has meant 3 cables per side--one for each pair of binding posts.  (I have jumpers to connect the lower binding posts, but VS recommends against them.) The speakers benefit from a subwoofer, which also has to be wired.  To add to the complexity, the VR4jr's include both 4 ohm and 8 ohm drivers, that average to 6ohms impedance.

Using 12 gauge zip cord and banana plugs, the connections were a little fiddly but manageable: I ran two cables with raw wire through the 4 ohm binding posts on each side, connected a third cable to the tap with a banana plug, then plugged a second banana plug into the top of the first to run to the subwoofer.  It looked funny but worked well, and sounded great.

I recently upgraded to 10 gauge BJC cable from bluejeans, with a combination of spade and banana plug connectors.  Unfortunately, it's proving extremely difficult to combine two spades on a single binding post; and even if I accomplish that, and connect the third pair of drivers using banana plugs, there's still no clear way to connect directly to the subwoofer from the amp, which I'd like to do to avoid adding yet another device into the mix.

If I used the 4 ohm and 8 ohm binding posts simultaneously, these spacing problems would be solved and all the connections would work.  However, the manual is clear that you should use only the 4 ohm or 8 ohm posts, not both.  In researching this question on other forums, I've found answers that range from:  you can totally do this, to you should never do this, to you can do this but the results won't be great, to the perennial listserve standby: "you just need another (or different) piece of gear).

So, my question:  Will using the 4 and 8 ohm posts simultaneously into different speaker drivers (a) damage my amp; (b) be harmless for the amp but make my sound suck; or (c) be mostly fine and safe enough to at least try.

I've obviously looked at speaker selector switches, but I'm concerned that adding another set of switches and connections will degrade the sound and negate the benefits of buying the nicer cables.

Thank in advance for your help.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print