Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:56:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AKG K1000 - Are they worth it? (Read 3058 times)
designtaylor
Verified Member

AKG K1000 - Are they worth it?
05/08/20 at 22:25:06

I'm always chasing is a more speaker-like listening experience. I like a big soundstage with lots of separation and placement of the instrumentation. I also really dislike overly bright or sharp audio. It's gotta be warm but detailed.

So... I've been interested in the K1000 for a while but prices are getting crazy. When they come up for sale folks are asking over a grand. Since they are kind of rare it is unlikely there will be a seller near me so if I want to try I'll likely have to buy.

Anyone had experience with them? Seems like my Taboo would be a good match.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: AKG K1000 - Are they worth it?
Reply #1 - 05/08/20 at 22:33:01

Here's a suggestion from my experience of the last year or so listening to headphones in my systems:

Consider a ZROCK2. The ZROCK2 has let me dial in the sound in amazing ways and I can use any of my three headphones (Oppo PM-1, Sennheiser HD800S and ZMF Ori) with any of my headhone capabale amps (Taboo Mk IV, CSP3, CSP2+ or PS Audio GCHA) and get great sound with just the right warmth and soundstage size and detail. You may not need a new pair of headphones at all.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
designtaylor
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/08/20 at 22:45:31

Thanks Lon! Good to hear from you. Really loving the Taboo, makes all my headphones sound great. Just built some little speakers I'm going to audition on it next.

Been on the lookout for ZRock but they never seem to come up. Guess I'll have to order one new Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/09/20 at 00:13:45

Glad you are enjoying the Taboo that much! Yes, I don't see the ZROCK2 come up often at all. I just yesterday ordered a third one. . . so that all my systems will have one. They each deserve one.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
padam
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/29/20 at 08:40:10

The K1000 is a great experience in the right system.
However, they have very little in terms of low-end extension. It is simply missing from that part of the spectrum and for me, it kind of ruins it.

The Stax SR-007 Mk2s are probably more towards what you are looking for. The soundstage is small, physically speaking, but it is quite expansive, so gets quite big, if you just close your eyes and get used to it and the separation is amazing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print