Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/15/20 at 11:06:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube to Diode adaptor for Zen Products? (Read 605 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Tube to Diode adaptor for Zen Products?
05/05/20 at 03:33:38

Hi Zen Community.  I've really been enjoying the tube rolling experience with my SE84UFO25 as well as my TORII MKIV.  One of the areas I have noticed unexpected benefits is the rectifier tube.  It prompted me to start asking almost all the audio people I run across what sorts of rectifiers they have.  A gentleman I met on facebook (of all places) and I were discussing the Type 80/5U4/5AR4 pros and cons and he asked me if I'd ever considered using diode rectification.  I really hadn't.  It got me thinking.  Has anyone here had experience using diode rectification on their TORII amplifier?  I'm asking specifically about that amp because buying pairs of those rectifiers can be kinda spendy and I'd like to do a bit of research.  Also, has anyone tried using Type 80's in their TORII?  What were your opinions?  Any info you might be able to share is very welcomed and as always thanks so much for the community support.  I hope everyone is doing well in these strange times....  Happy Listening!!

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: Tube to Diode adaptor for Zen Products?
Reply #1 - 05/06/20 at 18:48:02

I did a little rolling of rectifiers a while back(2-3 years) and landed on NOS RCA 5U4G-ST (coke bottle) rectifiers as my favs.  So I went on a spree and bought up a lifetime supply of them - they tend to last a long time. I've found the rectifier to be more of a fine tuning tool, with not near as much impact on the sound as an input or output tube.  I just went out and looked for some today...my, my... they have "appreciated" in value.  I don't think I paid more than $25 for one back when I was buying them up.

Schiit Audio used to sell a "solid state" device that plugged into the tube sockets of their tube products.  They called them "LYST".  They were not for rectification though.  Only for small signal input tubes.  I don't see them on their site anymore today - apparently they no longer offer them.

So to answer your question... I have never had a solid-state, plug in to the tube socket device, that replaced the tube rectifier.  But, like you, I am curious if there are folks that have...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Morga1n
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/26/20 at 10:48:57

A very elegant and attractive product.

IP Logged
Melusiocx
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/28/20 at 05:32:49

They called them "LYST".  They were not for rectification though.  Only for small signal input tubes.  I don't see them on their site anymore today - apparently they no longer offer them.

IP Logged
CAJames
Verified Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 07/28/20 at 16:01:54

If you google "solid state rectifier" it is easy to find a drop in replacement for a 5U4/5AR4/5Y3 etc. They work great in all the ways that solid state electronics work great. But to me, if you have a fine tube amp, looking for a solid state rectifier is exactly like looking for a transistor replacement for your power tubes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 07/28/20 at 21:19:43

CAJames wrote on 07/28/20 at 16:01:54:
If you google "solid state rectifier" it is easy to find a drop in replacement for a 5U4/5AR4/5Y3 etc. They work great in all the ways that solid state electronics work great. But to me, if you have a fine tube amp, looking for a solid state rectifier is exactly like looking for a transistor replacement for your power tubes.

I'm not in total agreement with this. Steve uses solid state rectification in several products and they are very wonderfully voiced and to be honest I'm happy that they don't offer me wormholes to travel down with handfuls of rectifiers. . . he chose the right specs and the sound is delicious.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w/25th mods PS Audio: DMP+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Statement spkr cbls;Mapleshade:Samson V3; Oppo UDP-205; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods;headphones:PM1,HD800S,ZMF Ori
  IP Logged
CAJames
Verified Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 07/28/20 at 21:58:53

Steve uses solid state rectification in several products and they are very wonderfully voiced and to be honest I'm happy that they don't offer me wormholes to travel down with handfuls of rectifiers. . . he chose the right specs and the sound is delicious.

Yes, to be clear I too have have tube gear with a solid state power supply and it sounds fabulous. I'm not saying solid state is bad or has no place around tubes. But that is different than if your power supply was designed with a rectifier tube and you want to replace the tube with a solid state version. This is of course JMO.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 07/29/20 at 00:25:32

Cool, I don't disagree, but that wasn't exactly how your post was worded and I wanted to add that qualifier.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th x2, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV; Rega RP3 w/25th mods PS Audio: DMP+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Statement spkr cbls;Mapleshade:Samson V3; Oppo UDP-205; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati intrcncts, Iso-Pods;headphones:PM1,HD800S,ZMF Ori
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print