Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:53:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken guide pins on tubes (Read 2851 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Broken guide pins on tubes
05/04/20 at 19:02:23

8 pin vacuum tubes have what is called a guide pin located in the center and it is a little longer than the metal pins so that it will hold the metal pins out of the socket until the tube has been properly rotated to allow for that guide pin to drop into the socket.

As you can see, the center hole in the socket that receives the large plastic guide pin has a keyway.

Over the years I have found many of these plastic guide pins rolling around inside the amplifier chassis because it broke off during installation or removal of the tube.

The real problem comes in when one of these has broken off and it goes un-noticed. Now the tube can be installed in any rotation so of the eight possible  ways, seven are wrong. In three of those wrong rotations, nothing will happen. The other positions will cause the tube to be miss-connected and or connected backwards ensuring certain failure.

Also, this is a good time to mention that rectifier tubes only have four active metal pins. That means some rectifiers will be made with only 4 pins, the rest will just be missing.  Some will use more, like the picture above, and some will use all eight.  In the case where a rectifier has all eight pins, despite four of them being unconnected internally, it will help the tube set firmer in the socket.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ginny

Re: Broken guide pins on tubes
Reply #1 - 05/05/20 at 13:59:54

Great information, thanks for sharing Steve.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/20 at 12:52:21

Thanks for the info. I recently suffered a broken guide pin on a cheap Chinese 807 to 6L6 converter. I looked at the other one and saw that the guide nub fell between pin 1 and pin 8. So I just pushed what was left of the broken guide pin into the chassis and inserted the converter in the proper position.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/10/20 at 02:30:55

I have had Rectifier Tubes w/ broken guide pins. If you examine closely, you can identify where the "key" used to be. You can scratch the Bakelite with a file across from the "Key Remnant" to help with plugging in the rectifier.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print