Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:38:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My One Year Anniversary! (Read 5854 times)
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

My One Year Anniversary!
03/23/20 at 01:35:08

So I have had my SE84UFO25 for a year now.
Quite possibly the best audio purchase I have made in 25 years!
Now I truly hear my source material through my speakers.

In the past year I have gone through one set of output tubes.
Vocals started to shred and the bottom end was sounding loose at about 6 months of use.
Swapped in a new pair and all was right again.

I have been running an EML mesh plate 5U4G for a year, so for those of you on the fence regarding this rectifier, I can report no problems as of yet.

For the input tube I am running a selected JAN GE 5670W with an adapter.

The only voltage regulator I have preferred rolling from those supplied is the input tube regulator.
Believe it or not, I prefer a solid state OD3 in this position.

And yes, this amp just keeps sounding better and better with time!

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: My One Year Anniversary!
Reply #1 - 03/23/20 at 08:19:37

Quote:
I have been running an EML mesh plate 5U4G for a year, so for those of you on the fence regarding this rectifier, I can report no problems as of yet.

MrDerrick,

Great to hear about the longevity of EML mesh plate 5U4G!  I remember a conversation in another thread about its usage.  Have you used the Sophia Aqua rectifier....and if so how do you compare the difference between the two?  

I think I remember in the other post where someone  chimed in about the using a Variac to alleviate the spike that the first capacitor would take being of a bigger value.  Did you happen to talk to Steve about any
possible damage and/or problems that would arise on using the higher rated rectifier?

Thanks for the input!
Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #2 - 03/26/20 at 01:56:07

Dominick,

I started off with the Aqua for about 50 hours, then the EML arrived.
I really should have given the Aqua more time to develop, the EML just opened the sound stage up from the very first note compared to the Aqua.

I took a chance on the EML, first cap is not to exceed 40 uf.
Considering that the globe 80s have a 30 uf max first cap and others are using them successfully, I thought why not give it a try.

That being said, a fair share have reported problems with both the Aqua and the globe 80.
I do not have the tube tech back ground regarding operating limits that others may have, so please do not take my methodology as gospel.  

HQP Client - i3 Tablet
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 03/28/20 at 19:29:55

Mr. Derrick,

I do remember a few guys complaining that the Aqua had a shorter life span than anticipated.  Not sure if it’s a quality control issue or not.  In terms of the 1st capacitor max, I thought Steve said not to exceed the 40uf.   I thought the EML was rated at 47 uf, which would push you over the limit by 7 uf.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I believe a lot of guys use the Aqua because it’s rated right at the limit for the amp without going over.  

Same goes for me in terms of tube tech and knowledge....I’m definitely a noob with no real experience.   I’m just trying to learn as much as possible, since I am hoping to buy the SE84UFO25 later this year.  Thanks for the feedback on your experience.  

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/28/20 at 20:50:35

I have had no issues myself with Aquas in two years of use in Monoblocks, Taboo Mk III and Mk IV and CSP3 and CSP2+, all but the Mk III with the Anniversary Mods. Excellent rectifiers!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/28/20 at 22:00:52

I have well over 1 year with the Aqua 274 in my CSP3 25th anniversary preamp. No problems whatsoever. Still sounds great, love the blue glass.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #6 - 03/29/20 at 01:48:43

The Aqua is a well documented rectifier here, maybe the overall favorite?
I just never gave it a fair chance and I did sell mine on the classifieds here.
I paid the $200 for a 1 year warranty, due to reading about the early failures that a few had experienced.
I will here remark however, that I personally find it odd that a manufacture would offer tubes with a 30 day warranty and then charge extra for a 1 year warranty.
What makes the one rectifier over another worthy of a one year warranty?

While the EML cost $285 ( $290 now ) they do offer a 5 year warranty if you register the tube within a certain time period.
I did register mine but I doubt they would honer it due to exceeding the cap limit.

I guess I am playing "rectifier roulette" by exceeding the max cap limit.
But there are others exceeding the limit more than myself with the 80 rectifiers.

Fortunately there is an abundance of rectifiers to experiment with that are not overly expensive.
I just wish i had the time and patience to try them all.

I almost pulled the trigger on a mesh plate globe 80 ( I have a weakness for mesh plate tubes ).
But I would hate to fall in love with a tube that I could never replace!

HQP Client - i3 Tablet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/29/20 at 01:53:38

Steve himself uses Type 80 and also shipped amps and preamps with the Valve Art 274B which I think has the same resistor requirement as the Aquas. I don't think there's a real concern with these tubes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #8 - 03/29/20 at 02:00:45

Yes, the Aqua 274B is a match.
47uf is the value of the first cap for the amp.

If I understand the first cap rating correctly, it is not to exceed the first cap max of the rectifier being used.

The EML 5u4g mesh plate is 40uf, it was lower at one time and EML raised the limit to 40uf.

EML does offer an 80 type but its only rated for a 20uf first cap.

HQP Client - i3 Tablet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print