03/28/24 at 17:57:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Otari mx50n (Read 1904 times)
laurence
Verified Member

Otari mx50n
02/29/20 at 19:37:59

I am looking to purchase a reel to reel tape recorder in the UK.
Options I am looking at are revox b77, pr99, and otari.
What do people think of otari mx50n?
What about this one.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OTARI-MX50N-2-TRACK-PROFESSIONAL-REEL-TO-REEL-TAPE-DE...
I have been told that heads wear flat measures just under 2mm.not a clue what that means!
I do have pics but am struggling to attach.

Thanks for any pointers. In mean time I'll try attaching the pictures

Laurence

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Otari mx50n
Reply #1 - 03/01/20 at 16:35:27

Just be sure that whatever you buy has been fully restored and that the heads are new or like new. The last thing you want to do is end up with a machine that will soon need to be restored or have the heads replaced. Better to pay more upfront than to buy something that you will soon have to spend more money on.

I’d look for one that has a very detailed list of things done in the restoration process and that specifically states the condition of the heads.

Also, you should make sure that it has the ability to play 15 ips if you want to experience the full benefit of what is possible with tape. Pre-recorded tapes recorded at this speed represent the best of the best. Expensive but worth it.

But, that said, mostly what I do with mine is record mix tapes at 7 1/2 ips, as you have more tape to work with. The sound is wonderful!

Good luck,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print