Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 00:59:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5670 Tube experimentation (Read 12532 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

5670 Tube experimentation
01/18/20 at 17:55:39

I thought I would start a new topic for this, rather than congest the "Holy Grail Tube" thread with these different tube impressions.

I now have the ZTPRE fully loaded with "balanced section" GE 5670W tubes from the Tube Depot, on the converters they sell (with the exception of one set which are on brass and gold converter bases from China).

Over the last few years I have noticed that the internal (non-tube) rectification of the ZTPRE is very simpatico or very similar in tonal and dynamic character to the Sophia Electric 274B rectifiers in my 25th Anniversary Monoblocks, and thus the ZTPRE and the Monoblocks are very well-matched and mated and make beautiful music together.

I had a pair of these 5670W tubes in the Monoblocks before getting two more pairs, and they really worked well there too. I've come to the conclusion that the tonal and dynamic character of these tubes are really good matches for the rectified sound of the ZTPRE and Monoblocks. I would have another pair to put in the Monoblocks to make an all 5670W tube path for input tubes, but Tube Depot sent me the wrong converters with this additional pair and I have to wait until I receive another pair of the correct converters. I'm very eager to try the full 5670W complement, and in the meantime I rolled a lot of tubes in the Monoblock inputs and decided that the best match currently is a pair of RCA 7308s that I have on hand and haven't used in a while. They have a touch of smoothness that helps the overall sonic picture, even though they are also a tad lightweight in the lower frequencies. Overall I had a wonderful listening session this morning (unusual and welcome for a Saturday) and the detailed, deep sound field created a surprisingly good and relaxing listening.

I'm eager to have a pair of the 5670W in the Monoblocks as well as these in the ZTPRE to experience the complete loom--hopefully by the end of next week.

If you're at all curious about these tubes in the Decware components I think experimentation will be rewarding. The Tube Depot sells a combination of tube and converter for 15 dollars, and you can add various testing and matching at reasonable prices to this basic combo. So not an expensive trial. . . and not likely in my estimation to be an error.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: 5670 Tube experimentation
Reply #1 - 01/18/20 at 18:36:01

Lon - Once again your posts are a wealth of info and opinion, and thank you for that. I was intrigued when I saw this post in the Holy Grail Tube thread and looked into these tubes and adaptors. Please keep the info and impressions coming and have a relaxing weekend. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/18/20 at 19:55:11

Will do Chris. I think "bang for buck" these are quite impressive tubes, and only the rarest and most exotic brands and types are quite expensive. They also seem to be very very plentiful--the government must have had millions in reserve and there are many merchants offering these GE especially.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #3 - 01/19/20 at 01:19:12

I just finished screening 25 of the GE JAN5670W.
15 of the 25 had 3% or better section matches for gain.
There were 4 tubes that actually had perfect section matches for gain.
The other 10 tubes fell into 5% section match.
As mentioned in the other thread, these measure very consistent for gain and self noise.
I cant recall if ifi sold these with their adapter for $99 each or $99 a pair.
Doc Bottlehead is using these in their latest mono-block amp offering.
I should have more than enough of these for my use, just a single in my SE84UFO25, so long as they have decent life span.
Though I am still considering a bulk 6N3P-EV or DR purchase.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/19/20 at 02:55:51

Yes, it seems these were developed to be very accurate and long-lived for military use. I found Tube Depot's price for matched section tube with converter at 17 dollars to be quite affordable. I have one more pair on order to arrive I hope next week that I paid for further screening, would be 21 dollars for the tube with converter. I'll use these in the Monoblocks.

Seems to me you have a lifetime supply for just the one Zen amp! I can potentially use them in six components on hand (25th Monoblocks, ZTPRE, CSP3-25, Taboo Mk III, Taboo Mk IV-25 and CSP2+25. I can get more and if these continue to please me in the other components I can look into the more exotic of the types and brands. And this will save hours on my NOS 7308s, ECC189, etc.

Tube rolling is fun. These 5670 are easy to experiment with due to price and availability, and I assume dependability.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/19/20 at 10:42:08

I used to have an iFi ITube2, a tube buffer which incorporates a GE5670 tube. If memory serves me correctly, iFi indicated that the expected lifespan of the tube, at least in that component, was 10,000 hours.

So I'm guessing that these rugged military tubes should serve everyone a long time.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 01/21/20 at 17:24:23

Agreed on the above - these tubes are good workhorses with a low entry fee. I tried two in the input section (matched sections/low noise) of my Mystery amp and really liked them, then tried one in my modified 25th Zen input (matched/high output) and again it performed well.

IMHO, the tube is good all around, but not stunning in any aspect- that's why I say a great workhorse.  I think I'm going to buy two more for the PI sections on the Mystery (with adapters) and stock up on some for future use. I also have some of the Russian versions coming from the Ukraine, so I hope those are as good as the JAN GE.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/21/20 at 17:26:23

I agree that they are not stupendous, but are very neutral and easy to tune around, and bargains at this price. I'm receiving a pair soon that are thoroughly screened and matched for the inputs on the Monoblocks, which should give me the clearest window into the tube and its characteristics. Having a six pack in my ZTPRE that are section-balanced has been quite nice sonically, allowing me to play with gain between components and get a slightly more holographic sound than other types I've been using (in my untreated room). Continued use has them seasoning in and the midrange has opened up giving a transparency and tonal frequency balance that is very pleasant if just a tad bass-shy.

All the comparisons I've been able to find between these and the 6N3P seem to indicate the latter are "bright/brighter" so I don't expect too much from that tube type. . . . But we'll see.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/21/20 at 17:45:22

At first I had a little higher opinion of these tubes, but after doing some A/B with my "reference" tubes, these are not as good, but decent tubes none the less.  They lack the "air" of my reference tubes for sure, but the are about 1/10th the cost.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/23/20 at 03:17:21

Tom and Eric: I don't think you two are using preamps. I can't be without a preamp now, though I did okay with a ZBIT between the DSD and the amp(s) adding a great Decware preamp has helped both my systems out immensely.

I find a certain advantage to having the same tube type and/or family in the preamp and the amp(s) so I was happy to receive a pair of fully matched 5670W to put in the Monoblocks and complete that chain of 5670W in the ZTPRE and the Monoblocks. And I received the sort of homogenous sound I expected, and really am enjoying it. The sound is pretty neutral, with spacious elements and three dimensional. I played around with tubes in the ZROCK2 and with a number of hours on a Brimar that I had neglected for a while I'm getting a really good match with the GE tubes and so I think I'm getting a wonderful overall sound that I'll stick with for a while. Yes, the Amperex 7308s I was running in all the input spots were great, as were the 6N5P from Steve; these GE are offering as great a window into the sound, and are the most affordable of the options, so I'm happy to have discovered them and played with them. It was also worth getting three pairs with balanced triodes for the ZTPRE and a fully matched pair for the amps--channel balance is spot on and I'm getting a strong centered mono image (I listen to a good share of mono!)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/28/20 at 13:14:08

Hi Lon,

Glad you are getting good results with a pure 5670W chain.  No pre here.  I'd love to do a A/B with and without a pre to see how it compares to what I get with just the Zibit.

I'm using the 5670 as my everyday tube now in the 25th.  The tube I am comparing it to goes for $269 a pair now on ebay.  Not worth it, but a better tube than the 5670.  I luckily bought a few pairs back when they were gaining popularity and could be had for less than $150 per pair.

It's nice to have an inexpensive go-to tube.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/28/20 at 14:07:43

Yes, I have "better" tubes on hand too, at least with maximized tube complements etc. And yes, they are MANY times more expensive than the 5670W and not more than ten percent better I'd say. So I really only have "everyday" tubes as I used the system every day and am seeking that one complement to keep in for good. I do have complements that I have embraced for a long time, and I know this is one, and so affordable!

I've now put 5670W into my headphone system in the main system: 3 in the CSP2+ with the 25th Anniversary mods, and one in the Taboo Mk III that it feeds. With any of the rectifiers I have to roll in these components this is a great setup and as good as the all Amperex 7308 version I've used and the Mullard ECC189 version I have used. I hadn't used BOTH the CSP2+ and the Taboo Mk III for headphones before but since I now am using ZMF Ori headphones in this system and they like the double BOOM of these two--very good sound. Only way this could be improved is with a ZROCK2. One day perhaps! I wish a ZROCK2 could have two outputs--that would make my main system complete, though it would mean another pair of expensive interconnects and another great power cord.

Tube Depot has been a big help with this tube type and converter, though I haven't used them exclusively so far. I have a trio of Raytheon 5670W on the way that I plan to try in the CSP3 with Anniversary mods I use in my audio/video system, and I have another GE 5670W from Tube Depot on the way to use in the Taboo Mk IV with Anniversary mods in that system. So I would then have 5670W everywhere and can see how that is (I've tried 5670W in both input positions in this system, nice big deep sound).

I think I'll continue to use these, as they season in they continue to give me great sound and I've tuned isolation and speaker positioning to improve sound a bit further. And at the decent pricing on these from Tube Depot I think I'll slowly over the next months purchase fully tested and screened tubes to replace those that I have bought with just the sections matched. . . . The pair that is fully screened and matched that I do have as inputs for the Monoblocks are sounding really good and channel balance and sonic symmetry is precise.

This has been another layer of tube-rolling fun for me.

As for the preamps. . . . I used to believe I was getting the best without them, but especially when the ZTPRE came into my life, and now with the anniversary mods in the CSP preamps I have. . . there's no doubt that with the right cabling and tubes there's more of all the good properties possible (and I enjoy being able to use more sources). I just can't listen without them now. I tried for a week in the audio/video system--the Taboo Mk IV sounds GREAT on its own, but there's an immediate deeper involvement the minutes the CSP3-25 is back in place! They're an expense, but if you can compare some time you may well find yourself saving up. . . .

I have one more component on the way. Because I moved the CSP2+25 into my main system I need another headphone amp for my bedroom system and I purchased an Oppo HA-1. Been meaning to try one and went for it. I should have it in a week or so. . . and I'm suspecting it will be a great match for the Oppo PM-1 I use there.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 01/29/20 at 17:21:43

I'm I the only one that's rather surprised by Lon's clever use of a Meme here in the forums?

Old dogs, new tricks...I'm so proud of you Lon.  :)

Speaking of....now you have me thinking about a ZTPRE again (sigh)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 01/29/20 at 17:35:57

You should keep thinking of it. They are excellent and really help system sound. I've tried to be without it, and I've tried to be without the CSP3-25 and I miss them within hours of their removal from a system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 02/04/20 at 17:41:32

Well, I received the 6N3P in the mail and boy were there some bent pins! Luckily I have a super duper califragilicious Decware pin straightener. . . .

I decided I would run them in the audio/video system for a few days. This larger room lets tube characteristics homogenize a bit, it's more forgiving of unpleasant characteristics. In short I would say that there were not fundamental differences between the 5670 and the 6N3P in this system, but. . . I prefer the 5670 which has a bit more open midrange and a bit more expansive staging. In comparison the 6N3P come off a bit more dynamic, but with that hint of treble tartness many Russian military tubes exhibit, and a more condensed midrange. I don't think I'll experiment with them further for now. If I get bored in the future I'll try them in the main system, I have enough to do ZTPRE and Monoblocks.

On another note I just replaced the 5670 in my ZTPRE and the Monoblocks with the killer tested and matched 6N5P from Steve, at least for now. The 5670 were working great with the Sophia Electric 274B Aquas, but I've sort of fallen (for the first time in a long time) with the sound of a pair of 5R4WGB by Amperex that I have broken in on the audio/video system. These are rugged mofos. . . and they are different from others of the same type that I have from Chatham and Raytheon--the glass envelope is about a third of an inch taller and the internals seem even more robust. In the Monoblocks they give a very transparent and dynamic sound, and with the 5670 the midrange is a bit more forward and "thin" than I am comfortable with. But with the 6N5P there's better bass and the dynamics and transparency are still there in spades. . . .I'm leaving them in for a while.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/04/20 at 17:46:27

Thanks for the update Lon.  Somewhat ugly but reasonably priced rectifier for sure.

I continue to use the 5670W as my daily driver.  Good tube!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 02/04/20 at 18:01:39

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I got used to this "look" with the OD3W voltage regulators I used for a while and swap in on occasion. They are very non-microphonic, and I believe they are expected to have a far longer life, and the sound is excellent in this particular one (I think Cetron made a similar taller model, I have. a pair on the way to me for comparison). I have two pairs of these Amperex and probably can keep them in place six years or so, maybe more.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/04/20 at 18:26:17

Well if you say it can hold its own with the Aquas, then looks be damned.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 02/04/20 at 18:36:23

It's a different sound than the Aquas, less warm and a bit "bolder," but it's a great sound with the right complement. (I'm using Sylvania 0B3 as the regulation for the output tubes and the 6NP in the input and getting a complete sound that rivals that with the Aquas within the complement.)

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/12/21 at 02:17:50

Has anyone compared these tubes to 6922 or 7308 tubes?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #20 - 09/12/21 at 16:00:49

Yes, and not just 5670 tubes, but Russian 6N3P tubes and my favorite, the Tesla 6CC42. And I'll say this, in the right situation, i.e. with a sympathetic complement of power and rectifier tubes, they can sound really good, at least in my UFOs. But they are different from 6922/7308 tubes just as those are different from e.g. ECC189 or PCC88 tubes. Meaning they aren't necessarily going to sound their best with the same rectifier and/or power tubes that sound best with other input tubes.

So for me, the Tesla 6CC42 was my favorite input tube bar none with my best 5Z3 rectifiers and Russian power tubes. They are dynamic, extended, and have a rich and detailed sound. But in my current setup with GZ34 rectifier and EL83 power tubes they are nothing special and my Amperex 7308s sound the best. One thing I think I can say categorically is the only 6N3P version I found to be competitive with the GE and Tesla tubes is the -DR version. The others ranged from OK to no thankyou, but the -DR was very good indeed. Beyond that I'd say this is very much YMMV, but certainly worth investigating if you are #tubecurious. I just happen to have a pair of top of the line pinched waist 6CC42s listed in the for sale forum .

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print