Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:49:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why do the Lii Audio F-15 drivers sound so good ? (Read 10287 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Why do the Lii Audio F-15 drivers sound so good ?
01/07/20 at 03:44:46

Since Steve introduced the readers of the forum to the Lii Audio F-15 drivers, it has pretty much turned the loudspeaker world on its head and caused a large number of music lovers to rethink what is possible ..... especially when used with low powered vacuum tube amplifiers.

I have sold quite a few pairs of my low profile open baffles with the F-15 drivers and there has been a lot of interest in the DIY community as well.

Of course, it would be expected that a 15" driver would be able to make some decent bass and have a fine lower midrange response ..... but these drivers also have a very nice upper midrange and even a very respectable high frequency response ..... with a good amount of air.

I am fond of saying that the numbers don't always tell the entire story and that is true of these drivers. The specs are 50 HZ to 15K ..... but the music is all there .... at least to my ears and the ears of most of the folks who have lived with them.

I originally concluded that the whizzer cone and the phase plug were responsible for the unexpectedly good performance in the upper frequencies ..... but something happened a few days ago that has convinced me that there is more to it than that.

If I wasn't such a klutz, I probably would have never discovered this .....

I was finishing up a pair of baffles to ship to a customer and was leaning over one of the F-15 drivers while inserting a #2 Phillips head bit in my cordless drill. I will blame the following on a "senior moment" and the next thing I knew the bit slipped out of my hand and landed on the cone of the F-15 driver .....

Sure enough ..... the bit actually punctured the cone .....

After I recovered from a nervous breakdown, I examined the cone and discovered that it was thinner (actually MUCH thinner) than I would have expected it to be in a driver of that size.

In my humble opinion, the thickness (or rather the lack of it) of the cone is going a long way in contributing to the speed and seamless response into the upper frequencies. The whizzer cone is also much thinner than it appears at first glance.

It is apparent that the engineers at Lii Audio are some pretty savvy guys (or gals) and a lot of thought has gone into the total design of this driver .....

Well done .....

Randy

BTW ..... I exchanged the "damaged" driver for one in my personal pair of baffles. A little dab of silicon cement on the back of the cone sealed the small torn spot and there is no noticeable degradation in the sound.
I can live with that .....

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Re: Why do the Lii Audio F-15 drivers sound so good ?
Reply #1 - 01/07/20 at 05:23:58

I hate to be "that guy", but - Has anybody verified whether this company is on the up-and-up regarding labor practices? This is why I prefer to stick with US and European goods. Are we sure (as a community) that they are not using forced labor, 18 hour shifts and the like?

An uncomfortable question to be sure, but it's important to me as both Steve and You are selling their products. Sorry if this sounds preachy.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/20 at 11:24:26

Unfortunately there are lots of horrific things going on in China so I get where you are coming from. That said there are many solid companies with healthy work environments in China. Who employ skilled craftsmen and tradesmen who earn good wages.

My limited dealings with Leo (the founder and designer) through email, He is a stand up person who treats everyone fairly.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 01/07/20 at 17:28:50

Lii-Audio is a small family business similar to Decware. Each driver is hand made as is each cabinet. These products are not coming from EUPA in China like George Forman grills believe me.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/07/20 at 20:18:23

Yes Randy, the cone is deceiving because of the fold at the top of the cone.  Originally I thought the paper was like 1/8" or something, but its really much much thinner.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 01/07/20 at 21:27:22

Steve wrote .....

Quote:
Lii-Audio is a small family business similar to Decware. Each driver is hand made as is each cabinet. These products are not coming from EUPA in China like George Forman grills believe me.

Thanks Steve for the clarification .....
I don't know much about the workings of the company, but my experience with Leo has been nothing but positive.

He has treated me with great respect and kindness despite the fact that I am a very small fish in the vast ocean of audio .....

His products are extremely high on the cost vs performance scale and there are more driver products and options in the planning stage.

Stay tuned .....

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/07/20 at 22:53:02

This is why I put grills over my F15s.   So no   Cry

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 01/08/20 at 03:02:09

The moving mass on the F15 is listed at 13.8 grams.  

To put that in perspective, the $3500 Fostex W400-A-HR 15 inch 94dB woofer has a moving mass of 130 grams.

The B&C 15CXN76 15 inch 99dB coaxial speaker has a moving mass of 82 grams.

An Eminence Beta-15A 15" woofer is around 60 grams with an efficiency somewhere between the two.

Typical 10 inch hi-fi woofers are also around 60 grams.  13.8 grams is closer to a 5 or 6 inch midrange driver or a 3 or 4 inch woofer so it's no wonder it's so fast.  

It is indeed a work of art.  Everyone should have a back-up pair!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print