Send Topic Print
DNA2 Build (Read 6423 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

DNA2 Build
01/05/20 at 05:00:00

With the help of a 'friend' I am building the DNA2. I can show what I can show, and I won't show what I can't about the build.
I am not even done with the build except to say that I am now trying out a few drivers. I have built the original DNA model, and so, this is an enlarged version. Because I have already had a chance with the first build, this one is a bit better.
Let me get to the point. When I completed the first set of DNA speakers last year, I knew that they had the sound that I like so much. I wanted more of it though, and so when the second model was released, I waited for the plans to come out. I waited long enough and was fortunate to have Mr. Ziggy give me some tips.

I tried the Audio Nirvana drivers first, and it wasn't a match. Waaay too much bass, and just a sonic signature that didn't do the classic 8" ALNICO driver justice. They actually sounded better in an open baffle.
Now I am trying out the Mark Audio 12P which is a big brother to the 10P that I used in the first DNA build. I can't express the difference between these two drivers except to say that the 12P just has more. It goes deeper, and has a certain presence that I haven't heard since the FRX2.

Holy shit, I did it!!! I'm calling mom.

https://ibb.co/cK9kQ3r

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: DNA2 Build
Reply #1 - 01/05/20 at 17:39:31

4krow,
I'm glad that you got everything figured out for your build.
Have you tried the Silver Flutes yet? I'm a big fan of those drivers.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 01/05/20 at 18:44:32

Donnie,

I am so gobsmacked by the 12P drivers, I may JB weld them permanently into place! I know, I know, the curiosity factor will draw me in sooner or later. Here is an interesting thing too---- I was using a directly heated tubed input stage to feed a class D Hypex type of amp, and the attack is really good. This morning though, I turned on the amp and it blew a fuse, forcing me to go back to a Carver A220 amp. Oh no, not only that but I have an amp out there that is being remade. Yes, an engineer from Denver who used to work for Sudgen is working on an old Forte' 3 amp that I have had for many years. It is nearly done, and I am excited to hear what it has to offer.
Yes, yes, I know, what about a Decware amp? I have owned a few of them in the past, so don't doubt for a minute that one will be selected in the future. Actually the Torii Jr. would fit the bill. Choices, choices.... I am in heaven listening to Pink Floyd--- Endless river like I have never heard it before. The DNA2 design gives me exactly everything that I want. I'm in love.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 01/06/20 at 02:51:09

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/06/20 at 14:36:34

4krow,
Looking good. I bet they sound great.
I have not heard the Mark Audio drivers yet but hopeful sometime in the future I will build something with them. Most of my builds used the Fostex drivers. What wood is that front baffle? That has some nice grain to it.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 01/06/20 at 17:27:20

What I especially like about the Mark Audio drivers is the LACK of shout associated with most full range drivers. Yes, they have a bunch of dazzling features incorporated in them as well, but in the end, the sound is something that won't let me leave the couch or skip a track as often on a CD.
The wood is box elder, popular for turning bowls. Interestingly, this slab sat in my woodshop for 10 years in rough form, as I considered it unimpressive. So, imagine my surprise when I planed it down and saw what all the roughness was hiding! It is a softer wood that is for sure,and I have hoped that the 1 1/2" makes up for it.... it did.
 You may notice that the drivers required an adapter since it seems that no two 8" drivers are the same diameter. I originally planned for the Audio Nirvana to be the first choice, and routed an 8 3/4" recess along with an 8 1/4" through hole. Having said that, I am now tempted to make an adapter ring from 1/8" brass!- and use it for the mounting adapter.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 06/20/20 at 23:41:30

It's been a long time coming, and just some finish work left for gaps and finish.
https://ibb.co/JqWQvtf

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 06/22/20 at 01:22:52

Ok, NOW is the time that I can add some impressions about this build. From the bottom up>>> Bass is more than I need, indicating that I should move the speakers further from the wall. Pretty surprising to hear such impact from a smallish driver. Just as surprising, I am now using a sub to see if augmenting the bass at the right frequency will have the desired effect on the speakers. For example, if it is not possible to move the speakers where I would like, then perhaps giving them a less bass and send that along to a sub that can be moved might be an improvement.
Next, the midrange is something that I would challenge against any other full range driver that I have ever owned. Lastly, I can't say the same for the treble as it is a bit soft for my ears. A ribbon tweeter may be in order.  All in all, it is a speaker that I can work with and am more than willing to do.
Note that in the photo in the last post, I have added Corian to the top, bottom, and part of the front of these cabinets. The sides were given an added layer of 1/2" plywood that has three layers of acoustic paint treatment. In fact, I used a bunch of it for assembly of the outer skin.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 09/05/20 at 21:10:02

Yes, I still have a bit left to do with the cabinet finish, but am finally on the home stretch.

https://ibb.co/GVQRB0X
https://ibb.co/DD6NgLg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 09/07/20 at 03:39:06

Here is the last post for these speakers. One down, one to go.

https://ibb.co/TqQtkj4
https://ibb.co/7XDqS74

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 09/07/20 at 03:55:56

Nice!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 10/30/22 at 00:51:19

Stuff happens over time, and here is the story of my DNA2 cabinets and speakers. The cabinets were a challenge to build but worth the time. In short, I have tried at least 3 different drivers in them, and all had their strong points. In fact, one of the last drivers that I used was an Audio Nirvana 8" that I have for sale. Point is this. I was not thinking about changing drivers for a very long time. I really liked the AN drivers. Thing is, a customer of mine had me make some speakers for him using Scan Speak drivers that are a new reality to me for audio, it seems. When I broke them in and he came to get them, it was hard to forget what they sounded like. Turns out, he pays me with two new 7" Scan Speakers drivers sent to my door! He expected me to build two more cabinets, but you know where this going. I had to hear them in the DNA2 cabinets. Truth is, I thought had too much bass emphasis in the other cabinets. Don't worry, these somehow make incredible music like I have never heard before from bottom to, well almost top. Dam, yes, they need a tweeter to finish the job. Fortunately for me, my hearing doesn't require the very best money can buy, and so I chose an inexpensive Scan Speak horn loaded tweeter. The upside here is that the diameter of this tweeter is pretty common, so I can 'upgrade' to a seriously (expensive) tweeter if I want. I did the same thing with the L/R 2 way crossover. No way is it the last statement for crossovers, but it too, can be changed out as I get richer.
So the mounting of this tweeter wasn't so hard or anything, but when I do something, it seems that I always have extra steps involved, making a little project take days in the making.
Here is a shot of the tweeter mounted, awaiting the crossover to be made and applied. BTW, this cabinet is my favorite by far for bass, even though I sometimes use a sub for some music.
https://ibb.co/196N1t8

Th is the farthest that I can get with images. Can someone please make this 'thing' into a picture for me?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 10/30/22 at 03:40:35

Ta dah!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 10/30/22 at 17:29:46

Donnie, thank you, seriously. >>>Most people first try to train me. Those who know me, realize that is a waste of time and just get 'er done.<<<
Anyway, as I mentioned the crossover parts are hopefully coming in tomorrow, so there is more fun ahead.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print