Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:02:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii Hum in One Channel (Read 10789 times)
mberger0001
Verified Member

Mini Torii Hum in One Channel
11/04/19 at 17:26:01

Hi,
My Mini Torii has a hum out of one channel. I cleaned everything and switched my tubes but the hum stayed on the same side. Does that mean it is a part inside that is causing my problems? I also switched my speaker cables side to side and that moved that hum to the other channel. That must mean it is a part inside?
m

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Mini Torii Hum in One Channel
Reply #1 - 11/04/19 at 17:48:26

You changed every tube side to side?
I would look at cable routing, sometimes it ends up being a power supply cable being too close to a RCA.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/04/19 at 19:16:18

be sure and switch the input leads to verify it is not coming from upstream of the amp.

IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/04/19 at 19:21:37

Yeah. I disconnected my interconnects and still get the hum.
m

IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/04/19 at 19:23:30

I started by switching the input tubes, then output tubes, then just kept going one at a time until i did them all. Unfortunately a tube was not the problem.
m

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 11/05/19 at 02:41:39

How loud is the hum?

Does it do it with the volume control all the way down?

Did you also swap the rectifier tubes during your testing?

Are the feedback controls both turned fully clockwise?

-STeve

WWW   IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/05/19 at 03:09:44

I don't have feedback controls. It is not really loud. But audible everywhere in the room. That is with the volume turned all the way down. The hum does not change if I turn up the volume. I did also swap the rectifier tube.
m

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/08/19 at 14:44:59

So what happened?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/08/19 at 15:25:31

Nothing. I am stumped as to what it could be. I sent an email to Decware about possibly sending it in for repair. Maybe I will get some upgrades at the same time. Transfer the guarantee.
m

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/08/19 at 16:44:36

Hey M,

In your first post you mention that when you switched the speaker cables,  the hum moved.  The hum didn't move when switching Tubes,..

That to me would indicate an issue with your cables..

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/08/19 at 17:49:30

I just swapped left and right speaker and cable. The cables are soldered to the drivers. I think that means that the problem is inside the amp?
m

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/08/19 at 19:14:45

Yes,..  I see what you are saying.   It does seem likely that there is some issue in that channels circuit,  all things considered.   I would contact Steve and arrange for a send back.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/08/19 at 19:17:28

In re-reading you previous post,   when you swapped the cables,  did you move the speakers too?  If so and the hum moved,  then the prob is with your cable/driver...

try this,  take one speaker only,  hook it to the left,  then right,..  All good?  All bad?  good only on one side?   This will tell you if its the amp or cable/speaker.

IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/08/19 at 19:57:13

Hi jslateiv,
I tried again. Did what you said with one speaker. It is the amp. But what i noticed this time is that my good side does produce a sound at the driver if you put your ear right up to it. And it sounds just like my bad side but way quieter. The bad side of the amp is 20x louder. This is with no source connected and volume pots turned all the way down.
m

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/08/19 at 20:34:09

Sounds like a ground issue in the circuit on that one channel somewhere.  Send it back to Steve,  he'll take care of it / you.   The noise you hear out of the good channel should def. be the same/equal on the other channel.  You always hear a little tube noise but shouldn't be much and def. not enough to interfere with the music.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 11/08/19 at 23:08:17

I don't like to get to technical, but it sounds like the "Debuzzinator" wire has ether came loose or been chewed in half by Wolverines.
Send it back immediately so that it can be fixed. Steve has a great big hammer from ACME to bonk the Wolverines on their heads.
That is my personal guess, but it could be wrong.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/09/19 at 17:38:51

HA,..  it's def. the debuzzinator wire.  Had forgotten the technical term for that wire,  ;D    Those mini wolverines can wreck havoc if they find a way into your gear!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/12/19 at 20:57:24

You should update to UFO Transformers and change the caps to beeswax and include the anniversary update. You won't hardly regionalize the amp when it returns.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mberger0001
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/13/19 at 01:41:16

Where does one find the price list for updates? I looked around but could not find one.
m

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 11/13/19 at 03:20:48

Here's one of the lists:

And the other:

They're located in the thread about the modifications . . . probably would be better to have Steve locate them on the products pages. . . .hint hint.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print