Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 22:00:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Imperial horn drivers ? (Read 4446 times)
TomR
Verified Member

Decware Imperial horn drivers ?
06/11/19 at 18:53:46

Hello Forum,
I am considering building a set of the Decware Imperial folded horns.
I have read what I could find on the subject, but still have a few questions.

What T/S parameters work best in this horn configuration ?

I read using two different 15" driver offers some benefits. If yes,
does anyone have real world experience with this ? Drivers used ?

Reading the Imperial information, the horn can be used up to 600 Hz with the proper driver. My interest is running it up to 500Hz.  Anyone have any specific driver that accomplished to goal ?

Thanks,
Tom R

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Imperial horn drivers ?
Reply #1 - 06/12/19 at 00:56:37

Why don't you ask Steve?  I'm sure he'll give you the most direct and likely best answer.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 06/12/19 at 01:14:02

First of all I haven't put anything in the Imperial horn that I didn't like and I've tried a lot of things.  Everything you put in one sounds better than it will in anything else.  Very forgiving.  My only advice is don't waste the horn by using drivers with a high FS.  If the driver only goes down to 45Hz on a good day, the horn is only going to impress down to about that frequency.  You could get just as good a result in 1/2 the size horn if you only want 45/50Hz.

There are no advantages to two drivers unless you use it for PA use.  

An Altec 604 is a tasty and simple solution for an Imperial that is easier to find than the original Jensen G-610 driver.

Altec 420A BiFlex is pretty wicked in an Imperial.

Altec 416-8A is a favorite when you plan to use a midrange/high frequency drivers with it.

New stuff, Just look at pro audio drivers and find ones that go down to 30Hz or below.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/19 at 18:41:35

Thank you for the response and information, That helps a lot.

I am aware of the Altec 416 driver.

I do have TWO, pairs of 15" drivers available to me:

First Pair: Eminence 15" Magnum LO drivers with the following published specs:

Fs: 37Hz
Qts: .45
Qms: 9.4
Qes: .48
Vas: 5.76 cu ft
Xmax: 7.9mm
Re: 4.9

Second set of 15" drivers, Eminence 15" NOS, not sure of the model, but measures T/S parameters are:

Fs: 27
Qts: .166
Qes: .169
Qms: 9.4
Vas 8.2 cu ft
Xmax .359"
Re: 7.6
94 db
200 watts
This driver has a usable FR to 800 Hz

Any opinion on the above drivers ?

The Altec may give additional mid band response to allow better intergration with the mid range horns I am building. Hope to use the bass bins up to 500 Hz, crossed to the mid horns

Tried to attached a few construction pics of the mid range horns I am building. usable frequency for the horns is 500 to 3,500 Hz
Not sure if the pictures were uploaded or not.....?  

Tom R

Mid_construction_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 06/12/19 at 23:49:33

The second set that goes down to 27Hz would be my choice between those two.  Ambitious horn project!  Nice!

WWW   IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/13/19 at 02:18:18

Thanks - Yes, the mid horn are taking some time to fabricate

Need to learn how to down size pictures......

That should have been the obvious choice as the Eminence Fs does not go low enough to get into the 20's

Just for my knowledge, are you not concerned about the very low Qts, and the drivers ability to reproduce the 1st octave in a large enclosure ? Or, is the horn such a good acoustic impedance matching device that a high Qts is not a concern ?

Please advise,
Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/13/19 at 04:54:37

Hello Tom,
To down size pictures, IrfanView is a free to download image editor I use a great deal. I find it reasonably intuitive and self explanatory to use.

I like your horn project.
Brian

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/13/19 at 15:11:23

Mr Steve,
If I only use one driver per cabinet, should I decrease the size of the enclosure, or keep the same dimensions as the plans ?

Purchased your Imperial plans the other day, when I finish my mid range horns, I will start on the Imperials

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 07/18/19 at 01:02:22

To use a single driver with the Imperial plans, keep all dimensions the same.

Also, a new driver by Lii-Audio called the F15 would be outstanding as a full-range driver in the Imperial.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/19 at 02:56:54

I have read the Big Betsy Thread with interest. Your description of the speaker is enticing. The F15 has a FS of 49, so if used in the Imperial cabinet, it would not reach the lowest octave.

Would this make a good case for two different drivers in one cabinet?
The F15 and a 15” sub driver that could cover the lower frequencies?

Run the F15 at full range, with a simple high pass on the sub-woofer….something like that ?
A plate amp on the sub-woofer, cut off at 80 Hz to the F15 running full range on a separate amp?

Could they operate out of the same cabinet without issue?

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 07/19/19 at 17:50:36

Again,  the dual driver arrangement is more for PA use, as the two drivers do not usually help themselves sound better as an audiophile will expect.  While the FS is 49Hz, the driver will play lower than that with a well controlled roll-off.  My recommendation with this driver is to run it by itself and do not worry about low bass augmentation until after you actually hear what it does.  This isn't one you can model or predict.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/19 at 17:59:39

Understood - Thanks

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 08/05/19 at 18:06:45

Took the leap - I ordered a pare of the F15's for the Imperial build.

I am out a month or so to start the cabinet build, but will post build information as I proceed

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #13 - 08/06/19 at 01:58:21

Tom

I am doing the same thing.  I have the f-15`s but nowhere to build until a month or two down the road.  We should start a thread on our experiences.  I took a look at the plans todat and they are for double drivers so some (UNCLEAR) adjustments will need to be done

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 08/06/19 at 21:34:02

That sounds like a plan, I am also a month or so away from starting the Imperial build.
I have to finish a mid-horn build I have been working on and off since Christmas before I start another project.

I believe you will simply adjust locations of the internal braces to accommodate a single driver in the center location. Will look at the drawings again.

Where are you located ? I am in South Louisiana.

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 08/08/19 at 02:04:05

FarmBoss,
Looking at the Decware drawings, I would propose substituting the center solid "B" style for a "A" style brace with the cut out for a driver. So that would mean you need to fabricate 3 of the "A"style, and 2 of the "B" style.

My best guess at the moment.......

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #16 - 09/17/19 at 02:55:48

TomR,

Started my Imperials today.  I bought 5 sheets of birch ply to start.  I will make one speaker then the other.  It is not easy cutting such large parts without a panel saw.  Used my tablesaw and circular saw.  I have two sides done.  Let me know when you start I am struggling with measurements based on the blueprints it is hard to tell if the back sits on top of both bottom and below both tops.  I figure it sits on the first bottom and below the first top. I seriously considered doing a scaled down Imperial or https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=18superscooper
I decided to go all in and just pony up for the whole imperial.  It seems like there is a lot of waste and bugs me I can't get more than one side out of a 4x8 sheet.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 09/17/19 at 03:15:52

Congrats on the Imperial build!  

Using the "A" style brace for the center is what we do when these are built for a single 15 inch driver, and then modify the front panel accordingly.

Quote:
I figure it sits on the first bottom and below the first top

Yes, this creates a joint with more surface area enhancing the strength of the glue joint.  

Waste is easy to deal with as you begin to complete the cabinet you can find so many places to add cleating and braces.  Just use the waste to further beef up the cabinet.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/17/19 at 18:38:05

FarmBoss,
No, I have not started my Imperial build yet, I do have a set of F15 drivers to try when they are ready !

I have two different options for the Imperial cabinets, one with the F15 drivers, and the second with a Eminence 15" woofer to 500 Hz - Multi cell Mid range horn driven by a JBL 2446h compression driver from 500 to 3500, then a compression tweeter to be named.

For now I am trying to finish the Mid range horns before I start the cabinets. I must say I have been tempted to build a Big Betsy with the F15's to see how they sound.............

If you come across any issues during the build - please post the question, or how you figured out a construction issue

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/18/19 at 04:57:10

Tom, If you build one cabinet with the single driver, and one with the three way, and compare them to find which you want to go with; that would be an interesting comparison.

Brian

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 09/18/19 at 18:07:24

FarmBoss
Check out “DIY track saw” on You Tube. One of these will help you break down sheet goods, with a straight edge

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #21 - 09/20/19 at 01:21:27

Ok I have a question on reading the plan.  It says part D x 2.
Does this mean the two seperate braces or does it mean make them double thick?

I am assuming we are still wourking with 3/4 stock.  The braces as shown on the left (front) diagram sjow two D braces but appear to be about triple the width of a 3/4 part.  
plan says 1 to 12 ratio.  That can't be right as it would equal nine inches wide.

So bottom line, what it the depth or maybe the width of part D?

Thanks

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 09/20/19 at 15:59:09

Farm Boss,
I am away on holiday and only have my IPhone with me, and do not have access to my set of plans. I will be home next Wednesday and will look then, hopefully that will not hope hold you up

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #23 - 09/25/19 at 03:24:08

I worked all weekend and have almost fin8shed the first one.  As far as the brace D goes I have decided it is three 3/4 ply wide.  Now I am wondering about the optional brace E.  I think it should only be one 3/4`s wide but maybe 2?

I don`t know if this is the first Imperial with the F-15 driver ever made?  I have it hooked up to a Fischer console in my workshop.  The Fischer is 20 watts.  At first I was a little underwelmed.  It sounded a bit bright and shouty.  It was also lying on it's side.
Something really cool happened after 3 hours or so.  I put on Santana and turned the volume up pretty good.  The sound changed and it was quite remarkable.  This speaker hooked up to that old amp really rocked.  I have not heard the low notes like this on any home system.  I have had a few subs and this 8s nothing like those.  The bass and kick drums sounded real and loud but not at all muddy or thick.  THESE ARE REALLY GREAT SPEAKERS! I can only imagine how great two of them will sound on my ZMA systerm.  This is on a stereo I paid $98 for.  Incredible Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 09/25/19 at 03:34:02

Nice... : )

WWW   IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 09/25/19 at 18:02:00

FarmBoss,
Having a look at the drawings and optional brace "E", you will need two pieces at 3/4" thick, I believe the "E" braces are mated to the forward edge of the side panels, as you look at the front of the speaker cabinet.  The double of the forward edge thickness will help stiffen the large side panels.

At least that is what I see.....

I need to get my F15's up and running so they will be broke in when I get the Imperial cabinets built......

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #26 - 11/13/19 at 03:23:26

It has been a few months and I will offer a report.  Both Imperials were built and moved to new room.  This is in a pole barn that is finished with cement floor and insullated walls covered with steel panels.  Initially room provided a problem with speakers sounding sharp amd bright.  This was slightly resolved by adding some  carpet.  Speakers we connected to ZMA 8 ohm taps.  I discoved the 4 ohm taps sounded better,  with more contolled bass.  It sounded good but I missed some of the sound my pendragones had.  They brought a nice guitar tone that imperials missed.  I wanted to see what would happen if i brought the Pendragons back.  I researched and found that it would be possible to connect both the imperials and the pendragons to the ZMA in parrell.  Both speakers are 8 ohms some in parrell they would pull 4 ohms.  
I also found out most did not recommed doing this as the speakers may cancel each other or have issues with time delay.  
I had nothing to lose but some effort to try it.  Now the speakers are dead quite and before with just Imperials I had a slight hum.  Bass is tight and really wonderful.  Guitar tone is back and soundstage is huge.  I do not hear any downside as far as time delay or weired sonics of having speakers conflicting.  I feel that by adding the pendragons that impacted something inside the imperials that changed them for the better.  Maybe changing the ohm load directley did something to them as they sound way better now.  I will keep them this way.  I ordered a zrock when I thought room was too bright but now I probably will not need it.  Rock is what I listen to.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/14/19 at 03:08:29

A wonderful report! That sounds like really excellent sound.

Brian

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 11/17/19 at 19:22:55

FarmBoss,
Congratulation on getting the build completed !

I have a few questions:

Any pictures of your set up ?

I assume to Pendragons are a Tecton speakers?

How was the bass with just the F15’s, any idea of how low the reach ?

Do you have any measurement capability ?

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #29 - 11/18/19 at 13:38:34

I have a few questions:

Any pictures of your set up ?  I am being challenged by the 1000kb picture limit I will see what I can do

I assume to Pendragons are a Tecton speakers? Yes mine have caps upgraded.  I have nothing but praise for these

How was the bass with just the F15’s, any idea of how low the reach ?Bass is awesome very musical.  I had no idea how much music I was missing.  I am afraid I do not have a good test record to measure but I can not imagine anything missing.  I only added the Pendragons because I had them and my room is somewhat challenging.  

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 11/18/19 at 14:38:24

Post #6 of the thread a website name for resizing pictures easier to post
I have not tried it, so I cannot report on easy of use

Congratulation on your Imperial’s up and running.
Looking forward to see your build

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #31 - 11/19/19 at 15:58:31

I hope this shows how difficult this space is

20191113_181818-756x1008.jpg
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/19/19 at 16:51:50

FarmBoss,
I’ve been following your posts with interest, I have to say, your room is nothing short of a challenge! I wish you the best of luck on your project, you seem to have to have the perseverance to win on this one. 👍🏼
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 11/20/19 at 02:09:42

I like that the ceiling is tall, I like that the space is well lit.

Brian

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #34 - 01/07/20 at 04:30:36

Here are my Imperials. The only suggestion I will make is to have removable driver boards so you can "play" with different drivers.

Screenshot_20200106-222034__01.jpg

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 01/07/20 at 18:28:44

Hello SteveB,
Wow - You got some bass there !

What drivers are you using, crossover points?

Do you hear any bass drop off or difference between the standard bass cabinet and the smaller split cabinet ?

Are you happy with the Imperial build ?

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #36 - 01/08/20 at 08:53:28

These are around 15 years old. I bought them from JimP in the classified section here last fall . 3 of the 15 drivers are Eminence cast frame gammas and the other is a stamped steel frame Eminence.

The two half Imperials sound like a full Imperial. I am enjoying them as is. I bought the plans on black Friday. I plan on building a pair with the Lii 15 drivers. The two half Imperials can be used as a stereo pair.

Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #37 - 01/08/20 at 09:28:33

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1563222472

I really like them but I may make some changes. The driver boards are not removable. They are not perfect but they are well worth having

Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 01/16/23 at 19:31:12

UPDATE:

Its been a while since my original post, but I did finish the Imperial Horns, mated them with a multi cell midrange horn driven with a JBL 2446h Tweerter was a JBL 2404h horn for the top end.

The Imperials currently have a Eminence Magnum 15 LF, 15" woofer, driven by a Hypex 501 plate amp with DSP.

I ended up selling the speaker system to a friend who had a large shop building and wanted an over the top system. The sounds very impressive in the building - Bass is very good - punchy with F3 of 34 Hz. I did not push the woofer to hard on the low end with the DSP, the response was normalized up to 500 Hz, crossing over to the mid bass horn.

The bass is Natural in the large space and the JBL horn tweeter working out OK, but the MID Bass Horn is is the star. 500 to 4,000 Hz, it's presents is awesome.

All Crossover slopes for the system was 4th order LR, keep everything in phase, the Hypex handled the time alignment between the bass and the Mid range driver. The Tweeter horn was physical aligned with the mid range driver.

It was a great project to build - even though it took almost 4 years to complete

The system is a few states away from me so I cannot just go around the block to make set up adjustment. I ran out of time during the initial set up.  Another trip is planned in the future to tweak the system further.

The electronics for the listening tests was an original condition Harman Kardon 730 Twin, 70's receiver, a $5 Sony yard sale CD player and crap cables - Still sounded GREAT!

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 01/16/23 at 22:37:27

Additional photos and a response plot,  bass unit not not included

Tom R

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #40 - 01/18/23 at 02:53:36

Thanks for the great post and pictures!  Imperials love large spaces like this.  The bass gets better and better as the room size increases.  The 28 inch depth lends itself well to a large compression horn.  We would always run tubes on the compression drivers.  There is no better combination than that. Anyway beautiful job, thanks for sharing!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #41 - 01/18/23 at 03:23:20

I think both the F15 and Fast-15 Lii-Song drivers would sound incredible in these cabinets. And the F18 would also be fully realized.

Something for audiophiles who build these cabinets for their medium sized listening rooms, is that we typically flip them upside down with the horn mouth on the floor and then run the full-range driver of our choice.  We make the baffle removable and run everything from 10 inch to 18 inch drivers in the same horn with no modifications.

And halving the Imperials is a very good option for more modest size rooms.  We were able to cover the sub bass for a typical sized dance floor with a single 12 inch driver in a half-imperial, so certainly a pair of those in most listening rooms would be borderline overkill in bass output.  But you could run any size driver in those that you want up to 15 inch.  As a full-range speaker flipped upside-down it lends itself to the 10 inch full-range drivers and can work equally well with the 8 inch or really even smaller if the Qts of the smaller drivers isn't too low and even if it is, you will still get bass out  of it that shouldn't happen.  Just limited power handling whereas the larger drivers that couple better with the horn gain amazing power handling from the impedance of the horn.  This is why it is possible to fill a large space like these pictures show and keep up with 2 inch compression drivers which are 110dB or so efficient with a single 15 inch driver!  

As much fun as we had with these using serious high power solid state, the real fun began when we shifted to tube amps, the largest being 120 watts. But even a 2 watt amp with the right drivers, like the Lii Audio would get loud enough to just start to fill this large space.   So having 20 watts or 40 or 60 can be a lot of fun.

I can't wait to show Paul these pictures.  He turned me on to the Jensen Imperial 1957 Speaker Plans book from his grandpa and it was he and I who build many of these cabinets and installed them in nightclubs and bars in the area and fully explored what was possible to get to happen in this cabinet.  He works at here as one of the senior amplifier techs and will enjoy it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print