Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:38:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mapleshde Double Helix impressions (Read 2439 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

Mapleshde Double Helix impressions
06/01/19 at 22:45:40

Wondering what impressions owners of the Mapleshade double helix speaker cables can share. How do they sound with Decware 25th Anniv equipment? Is the “plus” upgrade worthwhile? Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mapleshde Double Helix impressions
Reply #1 - 06/01/19 at 22:50:52

If you search the forum you should find quite a number of impressions from owners posted here over the years. I own a set of the "Plus" and have never owned the non-cry'd version. I am very happy with the fast and open sound of these cables and have used them with my 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and am now using them with my Taboo Mk IV with 25th Anniversary mods. In some rooms and with some speakers they can be just a tad lean in my experience, but in others just right. My pair did take quite some time, about a month of use, for the bass to "fully appear."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 06/01/19 at 23:37:21

I love mine. They sound great and I love the double helix design, because they allow a very simple bare wire connection because the wire is so small. It’ll fit in the smallest terminal. I prefer bare wire over any kind of connector.  Definitely get the “plus”

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/19 at 00:00:40

Thanks Geno. I’m considering a a pair but wanted a little reassurance. Currently just have Blue Jeans Cable. Sound is good so before I spend more money I thought I would see what opinions were out there.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 06/02/19 at 03:04:59

I've been running all Mapleshade cabling for years. Both interconnects and speaker cables with good results.
Never had a reason to change them out.
I guess that is as of a glowing review as I will ever give.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/02/19 at 03:33:39

Thanks. I’m thinking i’ll Give them a try.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/02/19 at 15:28:52

I put a pair of "MAPLESHADE CLEARVIEW DOUBLE HELIX SPEAKER CABLES W/PLUS UPGRADE" into my second system in April of 2018....they are still there.  Prior to those I had Zu Audio Libtec speaker cables there.  Mark.

PS...the amp currently in use with those is a Rachel with the UFO Upgrade.  I have not taken the 25th Anniversary pill yet.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/02/19 at 16:23:33

No negative feedback. I'd say that's good.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8 - 06/02/19 at 16:30:45

I started with the blue jean cables and upgraded to the DH-plus...WOW! A vast improvement. I also use the mapleshade jumpers on my Monoliths.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #9 - 06/02/19 at 17:01:00

If you decide to get a pair, look at the directions that are sent with them. This speaker wire is directional, so make sure you have it connected correctly. The manufacturer also highly recommends that it is kept off of the ground and that the runs are separated for best sound. I know it sounds complicated, but it’s not too bad to accomplish.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/04/19 at 03:41:37

My brand new pair of DH+ cables hit the 300 hour mark at 7AM this morning.  In my current system there has been no leanness at all.  The bass is extremely clean and detailed and has surprisingly removed a significant amount of “boominess” that I didn’t even know existed previously.  I was actually shocked to discover this upon initial installation.  At the same time, and this is difficult to understand, they seem to allow deeper and more powerful bass.  DH+ cables allow music to flow very naturally with great detail and no edginess or brightness.  The very reason I did not try DH+ cables years ago is the numerous online reviews claiming them to be bright, edgy, light, shy in bass, etc.  I am finding them to be exactly as Pierre describes them on his website and through years of Mapleshade catalogs.  I still have nearly two and a half weeks remaining in the thirty day trial period, but I can’t imagine returning them.  They are proving to be remarkable cables!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/05/19 at 22:43:05

That’s a very positive post.  I guess I really should try them. Is anybody using anything other than bare wire for the termination?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 06/05/19 at 23:00:50

Bare wire here.
And I'm also very careful that they are running the correct way and not touching the carpet too. I don't know if there is any difference if they touch the carpet or not, but I'll take them at their word for it.
I'll drink any kind of Kool-Aid you got!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/06/19 at 01:01:49

I like Cool-Aid. Now maybe it needs vodka or something. Suggestions?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/06/19 at 01:49:52

Well, I do think I have them going the right direction (mine were used without instructions)...with the ends that are joined together by a piece of wire at the speakers.  As to not touching the floor...mine are a tangled pile of wire, some touching the floor and some not   Smiley

PS...I go bare

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/06/19 at 03:42:31

Bare here.  Laying on hardwood floor.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/13/19 at 15:08:28

There is a pair being sold on ebay....asking $400 for an 8 foot pair.  I personally think this is way too high.  For perspective I paid $272 for a 10 foot pair and thought that was too high but I wanted 10 ft and they don't show up too often.  I've seen 8ft go for between 200 and 250 all the time.  I would make an offer of $175 and go from there...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202705854049?ul_noapp=true

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/13/19 at 19:00:26

I saw those and agree. Too high. I'd rather pay $90 more and get a pair from Mapleshade.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/13/19 at 19:05:03

Nothing wrong with contacting the seller and making an offer.  The worst that could happen is he counters or rejects it.  I do it all the time.  Not infrequently we can't come to a deal then later the seller, after a while, comes back to me.  

If an 8 foot pair is what you need, I'd put in the effort.  This is the second time this seller has listed these cables...

PS...here's an auction for the same cables that was won in April for $214.50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/speaker-cable-mapleshade-clearview-double-helix-plus-8-...

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/13/19 at 22:58:39

Here’s the sellers response to my offer of $225.

“Sounds like you missed out. I paid $490 for them a couple of months ago from Mapleshade. Maybe they will accept your offer.”

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/13/19 at 23:12:33

Some people are married to their property.  A discount of 18% off of full retail is too high for me.  Watch this listing...I'd bet he'll have to list it several times and reduce his price to get them sold.  If you have the time, you can get a pair for $225.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/13/19 at 23:18:32

I have the time. My speakers sound pretty good with the cables I own. You know how it goes, just wanted to try something different.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/13/19 at 23:24:24

Good, I'll post what I see.  In a month or two you'll have a pair for $225 or less...

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/13/19 at 23:35:42

Thanks

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #24 - 06/14/19 at 20:15:37

I have heard, and used the Mapleshade wires in my system - been a few years back.  They are very "clear" and transparent to my ears.  Very good sound.
Another "wire" I have found to sound superb... really my all around favorite for the most part, is copper foil.
You can buy a 12 gauge Goertz, Erse, Jantzen, Dayton copper foil inductor, unwind it, and make several sets of speaker cables.
Get some true gaffers tape (cotton cloth and adhesive) for insulation... and you will have some world-class sounding speaker cables, for much less than a world-class investment.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/14/19 at 20:46:39

Sounds interesting. Do you gave a picture of your's available?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #26 - 06/14/19 at 22:09:15

Maddog,

I may make some speaker cable out of the foil just to see how it performs. How do you attach it to terminals, as wide as it is?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/14/19 at 22:40:10

Geno, that’s why I thought a picture might help me follow along. I’m unsure if you wrap them complete tape with gaffers tape or???

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #28 - 06/15/19 at 00:17:25

Look at how Mapleshade does their interconnects, I'd do something like that for the ribbon speaker cables.

Another big secret is that the Mapleshade speaker cables are magnet wire twisted up. I use the twisted magnet wire in my speaker builds.

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 06/17/19 at 17:40:38

I tried the Mapleshades double helix plus and they didn’t perform as good as my Zu event speaker cables with the Zub3 locking connects at the speakers. Looks like a lot of people have had good success with Mapleshades so the system dependence is always a factor. Their worth a try for you but you may want to buy direct from Mapleshades with a return guarantee in case they aren’t for your system.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 06/17/19 at 22:43:54

You’re probably right unless—-unless I stumble on to a set for about 1/2 price. Then used would be worth a chance. The eBay seller at $400 for a $490 set of cables is living in a fantasy world.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print