Send Topic Print
God Bless Vinyl! (Read 5139 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

God Bless Vinyl!
03/28/19 at 07:07:32

I have been listening to vinyl on my reference system which has been recently upgraded with anniversary mods and the sound is so good I literally don't know what to write.  I have sat here paused at the period of the last sentence for over 20 minutes -- too stunned to actually write anything as I listen with head shaking from side to side in disbelief.  

Holy Crap!

The closest thing I can do to let you hear it is invite you over for a listen or sell you the exact stuff I am listening to so you can duplicate it in your own happy space.

Gob Bless vintage vinyl pressings that set the standards for all consumer playback.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: God Bless Vinyl!
Reply #1 - 03/28/19 at 10:58:18

Yes, my turntable and phono preamp are no where near the quality of your reference system, but my amplification is and I have to agree that vinyl takes me places digital doesn't.

I particularly like particular 'fifties and early 'sixties pressings. Just rich holographic sound. And I love listening to pre-tape music reissued from 78s on LPs from the 'fifties and 'sixties. I love jazz from this period and some of these reissue LPs sound better than any other issue (except 78s). Listening to Lester Young, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Duke Ellington or Billie Holiday in this manner is transporting. I'm so glad I have the setup room and I'm listening to vinyl again.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/28/19 at 16:40:37

Phono preamp?  Steve doesn't use the ZP3?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 03/29/19 at 02:31:11

Yes, I use my ZP3 feeding a ZSTAGE that feeds the amplifier(s) directly.  

Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/05/19 at 23:53:42

Shopping for a vinyl set up is way harder than shopping for great tube gear! (See Decware for that) There's so many opinions, TT's, arms and cartridges they make your head spin. I'm sure Steve's systems are excellent but there's no way I'll buy everything separate and put it together.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 04/06/19 at 00:31:56

The biggest secret to getting great sound from a turntable is matching the tonearm to the cartridge.  A synergy between the two will sound better than a mismatch regardless of the cost of the cartridge or arm.  For this reason it is not uncommon to see a $350 cartridge paired with a well matched $350 arm sound better than a $3500 cartridge on the wrong arm.

Most table manufactures offer entry level packages where they include an arm and cartridge taking the guesswork out of it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/06/19 at 01:04:03

Quote:
Shopping for a vinyl set up is way harder than shopping for great tube gear!

Nope, easy.  Take a look at the Technics 1200GR or better yet, the 1200G.  Pair with an Ortofon cart and your in heaven.   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/06/19 at 17:00:13

I have a 1980 Pioneer TT but when I started listening to vinyl again I bought a Rega RP-6 that came with a MM Cart...an Exact II, which was factory installed so all I did was set the tracking force and anti-skate and I was off to the races.  Rega has a new line so the RP-6 can be had at a discount.  There are easy mods to this TT but I haven't gotten around to them...use mine stock.   Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/06/19 at 18:01:48

I'm not sure what else might be involved when matching a cart to an arm other than cart compliance and arm mass but the formula is fairly simple and a test record can be used to confirm the results.

Or is there more?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print