04/18/24 at 14:38:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zero dust & Zerostat (Read 8229 times)
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Zero dust & Zerostat
02/09/19 at 03:08:05

Call me naive and a newbie but I bought these two items and they seem to be working pretty well. Dust isn’t gravitating and the playback is more quieter. I know, double positive. I’ll take it. Anyone else playing around with these items. PS. My wife bought me a CPI cleaning machine which I’ve been using too.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Zero dust & Zerostat
Reply #1 - 02/09/19 at 03:13:30

I have a Zerostat and love it.  It works!  Considering what it does, it is quite easy to A/B.  If used properly, according to instructions, then it performs as advertised.

I also have the Zerodust.  I have been using it for a couple years now.  Another product I can't see myself without.  

Question... What is a CPI cleaning machine?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/19 at 03:20:18

I meant VPI.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 02/09/19 at 04:10:29

Gotcha!  I was like, what?  A new record cleaning machine? How did I not hear about this?  LOL.  Very cool.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/09/19 at 04:47:12

You know. You put in a cd and it sounds great. Then, with vinyl, you have to do all these little things. With streaming, you can be completely lazy. I like it all but sometimes I like to fuss with vinyl and my silly brain digs it!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/09/19 at 18:10:23

I've looked at cleaning machines like the VPI off and on for years but I've never decided they were worth the expense, cost and time.  I use a hinged dust cover and the old Discwasher system and a carbon brush.  My records stay clean.  Deep cleaning might be good for those without dust covers or lovers of flea-market LPs.  One addition that has surprised me how much it helps is the Herbies mat.  Their mats are slightly sticky and do a good job of pulling dust specs off of the record.

One thought about deep cleaning is that there is the possibility of pushing dirt deep into the grooves where it normally wouldn't go.  I remember warnings against power washing cars and houses for the same reason (water though).  Many of my oldest LPs (40+ yrs) still play quiet since my current styli are much finer than my old ones and they are plowing virgin groove territory!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/09/19 at 20:55:47

Yes, I’m not sure I would’ve bought one either, but since it was a gift, I said “ok”. Now that I’ve used it, I like it. It’s quick and the vinyl looks great afterwards.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/19 at 20:54:51

Well, if someone gave me one ...   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/19 at 21:53:40

I used a zerostat for about two years before it became not quite as effective. Worked great! I decided to upgrade to the furutech destat III given that it uses batteries, so essentially lasting way longer. It is a bit more expensive but cheaper in the long run compared to buying more zerostats.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 02/11/19 at 06:15:23

I used my Zerostat for about a year, so never experienced a degradation of effectiveness.  However, I got tired of the "manual" manipulation of the trigger and having to worry about pulling it too slow or two fast.  

So, I upgraded.  I bypassed batteries and went straight to AC.  This is an overkill but I rarely see harm in overshooting.  I purchased this 3M 963E Benchtop Air Ionizer.  It is essentially the Furutech on steroids.  No batteries and a fraction of the time to complete the same task.  Pricier but if you can find one used at a good price, highly recommended.  

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/12/19 at 16:24:22

Jeff, you always manage to stimulate me with your ideas.  I see many of these available for good prices used but they all seem to be lacking the power supply.  I've seen the correct power supplies available new for as much as the unit would cost.  Do you have any thoughts on how to power these without breaking the bank?  I've tried searching for the 5 pin Din connector attached to a 24VDC adaptor but I can't find either the right pin configuration or the right voltage.

Since I use a fan behind my ZMA I am thinking I could use one of these and kill two birds with one stone.  BTW, are these loud and do they have rheostats on them?

Thanks!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 02/17/19 at 06:50:25

Hey Archie!

Sorry, I missed your reply.  

As far as the far, it is not quiet, therefore I would not recommend for constant use in a listening room environment.  It is industrial quality so can withstand the constant use, but it is loud enough to annoy if run in the background.  

It doesn't not have a rheostat.  It is either full on or off.

I was fortunate enough to find one used that included the power supply.  At the time, the seller highlighted the fact that it came with a power supply which at the time I was like, "Duh!" But, after reading your last post, I think I was fortunate to get it for what I paid - PS included!

Still worth the investment as it does what the Zerostat and Furutech do, but better and quicker with no manual pulling of a trigger or battery replacements.  

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/17/19 at 17:45:03

Thanks Jeff.  I found that Dasco makes line voltage ionizers and I found a NIB Dasco 60505 for under $70 delivered.  That's about 10% of the new price.  I figured it might be loud but I'm thinking I can use it for short periods right near my TT.  It seems to take mere seconds to neutralize ions so using it even when changing records might work.  I lied if I said above that I don't have a dust problem.  It is painfully dry here this time of year.  My lps can pick up dust just going from the TT to the sleeve!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/22/19 at 01:06:29

If anyone is interested in a deionizer, this seller is listing another brand new Desco  unit.  I just got the one I bought from him ($68).  Brand new and manufactured mid October 2018.  Crazy good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desco-60505-High-Output-Benchtop-Ionizer-120VAC/3827948...

For now I'll put it in front of my TT and turn it on while changing records.  It makes a bit more noise than I want while music is playing.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print