04/20/24 at 14:21:45 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Super Tweeter (Read 28326 times)
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Super Tweeter
03/27/19 at 17:38:00

Has anyone heard these?  They are expensive but I think I found something like this on Amazon that could do the trick.

https://theaudiophileman.com/super-tweeters/

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Super Tweeter
Reply #1 - 03/27/19 at 18:16:30

I have not used this brand, but instead the BATPRO2 super tweeters by Take-T out of Japan

https://www.atelier13-usa.com/taket-supertweeters

They are similar in concept (but have a higher upper frequency range) but use the acclaimed Piezoelectric Heil-type driver.  Plus, they are priced lower than the Townsend's.  

I also use Take-T's WHD Pure Mid-Bass High Definitioners.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/27/19 at 18:34:25

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 03/27/19 at 18:47:24

At 8K to 30K, calling those super tweeters is a stretch.  To me, those are more broadband tweeters.  The idea of super tweeters is to extend far into the inaudible range to create the sound energy experienced with live acoustically performances - the frequencies removed during reproduction.  

30K is still very good but these would not be the ones I would choose to fulfill the role of a "Super" tweeter.  Plus, I don't want my super tweeter extending down to 8K.  That just doesn't make sense to me.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/27/19 at 21:35:07

Raven has talked about the importance of super high frequencies before and I'm curious, what causes them?  In a live performance, as you mention, where would they come from?  I've always thought it was interesting that my Ortofon Jubilee cart specs out to 60 KHz at -3 dB.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/27/19 at 22:35:06

I personally think they come from the instruments themselves if not the human voice as well. I believe we feel as vibrations aspects of music that are outside our actual hearing. Whether a super-tweeter can reproduce our "real" reaction to the higher frequency aspects of the music beyond our hearing. . . I don't know. And I don't have any speakers with super-tweeters. But I do know that there's a difference between live and reproduced music, and these frequencies (and other lower ones) can possibly be a part of the reason why.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/27/19 at 23:46:32

It's amazing that those frequencies can be reached at all.  I assume they've been measured and found "significant?"  Not super rolled off, if that's the right term.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #7 - 03/28/19 at 03:22:06

Yes Archie, you are right in the fact that they are measurable.  I believe that is the reason output transformer manufacturers produce products that go to 80KHz and above.  But the entire chain needs to be capable of handling that broad of a frequency spectrum to experience it.  A standard Redbook CD is limited to 20Khz.  You need Hi-Res music, a source that can deliver it, an amp with output transformers capable of handling those higher frequencies, and of course speakers that can output in the ultra sonic range.  

IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/28/19 at 14:23:52

Jeff, those AMAZON Super Tweeters have a crossover built in from what I can see.  Do you think that would help to reduce the lower frequencies.  For a cash-strapped guy like me this could be a viable solution.  Some of the other products out there are really $$$.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 03/28/19 at 15:27:37

My suggestion would be to buy them, put them in your system which is the only way to truly know how they will perform.  You have 30 days to audition them with no risk, other than a nominal return shipping fee.  

As far as the crossover, I would simply start at 16KHz for a few days, then bump it down one setting for a few days, etc, until you reach the lowest point of 8KHz.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/28/19 at 16:43:22

Jeff,  As I mentioned, my cart is spec'd up to 60KHz.  Given an all Decware chain, would you say I would get any benefit from super tweeters?  If so, what might I expect?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 03/29/19 at 06:26:15

Archie,
You HR-1’s extend to 22KHz.  The Hammond 1650H output transformers on your ZMA extent out to 30KHZ, so the super tweeters will fill the speaker gap between 22KHz and 30KHz, but also provided sound energy below 22KHz to augment frequencies you HR-1’s are capable of producing.  

In my system, super tweeters elevated the transparency and overall realism of the music coming out of my speakers.  The music truly sounds more real.  My system retained its original character from a tonal perspective with the super tweeters, so they won’t alter that aspect.  It will still retain the sound signature of your speaker system, but with a new sense of clarity (not brightness or sparkly) and authenticity.  

With regard to your ZMA, the Asperion super tweeters for $299 (link above) may be well worth a try.  No sense getting anything higher as your ZMA won’t resolve frequencies above 30KHz with the stock output transformers.

IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/29/19 at 07:21:56

This is by Avantages Audio. Doesn't cost a bomb.
I'm getting a pair in next few days for trial.

You may read the review here; https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/avantages2/

ST1.jpg

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #13 - 03/29/19 at 08:14:07

The Audiosmile MK3 supertweeters have a good reputation and they are 599.00 euro.

www.Audiosmile.com

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/29/19 at 17:21:28

Thanks Jeff.  I'll look into those.  I can't stack them on my HR1s given the top driver so finding a place for them would be my biggest challenge.  Do you think they'd still integrate properly if they were shifted a couple feet from each speaker?  Or should they essentially stack?

I couldn't find specs on the ZMA response but I did see the Torii IV goes to 20kHz and the Zen UFO to 80kHz.  I guess Steve has been extending the range as he's gone to linear and ultra-linear transformers.

BTW, the link you posted above shows the top range of your tweeters at 150kHz.  Did you change your ZMA transformers?

Edit:  I just learned that my HR1 tweeters extend to 40kHz at -10dB.  So something is going on up there already!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #15 - 03/29/19 at 23:37:13

Hi Archie,
Good question regarding placing the tweeters away from the main speakers.  I have not tried it.  Ill look around at Take-T's website as I recall a positioning guide that offered alternative placement other than on the speaker tops.

The output transformers on the ZMA are 22Khz to 30KHz based on the Hammond 1650H stock design.  The UFO's have not made their way into the ZMA.  

I actually use my Take-T BatPRO2 super tweeters with my Canary Audio "Reference Two" monoblock amps as they have a frequency response of 8Hz-80KHz.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/30/19 at 00:01:27

I remember asking Steve about a UFO option for the ZMA but he liked how the ZMA sounded so much that he wasn't going to mess with it.

With the HR1 design it would seem the only option is to mount them on a wall above or off to the side.  I would imagine that anything off axis could hurt imaging, especially if the crossover is low enough.

With the HR1 tweeter good to 40kHz (albeit 10dB down) I'm not sure this is worth doing with my other givens.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #17 - 03/30/19 at 00:10:35

Hard to say.  This review of my super tweeters has them place next to the speakers, not above.  

Here is the link:  https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/simple_diy_speakers2_e.html

If you scroll down you can see them placed on a post adjacent to the main speaker.  It was a positive review so I assume it worked well in that position.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/30/19 at 00:26:55

I didn't more than scan the review but the single driver might change the equation since there is no tweeter to integrate with and his high cut-off was relatively low.  Trying them might be the only real way to tell.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
AdamsSam
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 04/05/19 at 16:33:59

I haven't yet used this either, but it looks super interesting to me.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/09/19 at 20:17:00

I am intrigued as well.  

I have read that these do not have as prominent effect if your speakers already utilize a ribbon tweeter.  However mine roll off quite a bit over 14Khz if I remember correctly.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/10/19 at 21:58:46

I did some more reading.  I am going to check these out.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #22 - 04/13/19 at 05:22:29

did any of you guys hear Randy's Betsy Baffle version with the Wild Burrow W.O.W. driver paired with the Dayton AMT tweeter at Zenfest 2017?  
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-amtpro-4-air-motion-transformer-tweet...
That was one of the few "holy crap" moments of over 40 years in this hobby for me.
I'm not talking about something you had to struggle to hear.  No... I'm talking OMG in the first 5 seconds of hearing the AMT'd Betsy Baffle.

I had to have - and so did a buddy of mine.  When going from the standard Betsy with Whizzer to the Betsy W.O.W.(With Out Whizzer) and Dayton AMT... the soundstage exploded in every direction and "air" and presence increased 10x.  I could barely believe what my ears were telling my brain.
The above AMT is a proverbial steal compared to the other drivers mentioned above - at least as far as I can tell.  
You can find some reviews that say the Dayton AMT doesn't go very high.. don't believe everything you read on the www.  I am 59 years old and I can hear a dramatic effect of adding this Dayton AMT to my open baffle full-rangers, both Wild Burro Betsy's and the few Audio Nirvana models I mess around with.  I'm not talking about a "little improvement" here.  I'm talking - aint' never going back improvement.  
The only thing to be careful with here - is matching "efficiencies" of the drivers.  Some full-rangers are really hot.  This Dayton AMT is a match made in heaven with the Betsy W.O.W.

the other thing with any ribbon or AMT driver like this Dayton is "dispersion"... very good horizontally - terrible vertically.  This can be a bad or a good thing depending on your room and listening position.
Bruce Rozenblitz at Transcendent sound has a "solution" for the vertical dispersion issue with ribbon/AMT drivers.
Check out his "enhanced" full ranger speaker that uses a Tang-Band combined with AMT's - yes plural...  
https://www.transcendentsound.com/amt-tweeter-two-way-speaker.html

I have also entertained the idea of an "upward firing" driver of some kind, perhaps a full-ranger, like in the Decware ERR or HR-1 models that fires into some kind of "dispersion" sound wave scattering, deflector.  Or a dome tweeter like in the above links.
I haven't come across a good, feasible way to "manufacture" the deflector part.  I suppose a guy could get a chunk of some kind of relatively hard wood, and turn it down on a lathe to the shape desired.  
I've also investigated "casting" one with some kind of resin, but got to come up with a "mold" in the right size and shape.
Audio Nirvana has a model that simply uses another full-range driver in the top of a cabinet that fires straight up at the ceiling.
So many ideas, so many possibilities, so many projects to try.... so little time!  But retirement is coming...
Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/13/19 at 13:07:11

+1 MD

I came back from the fest that year and  bought a pair through Randy.  I run them dipole and love the sense of air and how smooth they are.  I cross them at 1600hz and that really helps smooth out some of the harsheness in the Tang Band W8s.

But I have measured them and they tail off at 15khz (this is at my listening position). Can I hear that?   I doubt it.  

What I am after on this super teeeter quest is not so much high end sparkle as seeing if I can achieve some of the soundstage improvements and/or bass improvements people talk about.

I won’t spend too much on the experiment as I already have a pretty good soundstage and fairly tight musical bass.  

I have found tweeters that go to 40khz and others that claim 100khz. Then it’s a matter of crossing them at the right frequency with a capacitor and getting the volume right with an L-pad.  

We’ll see what I come up with.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/19/19 at 15:03:35

Here is an inexpensive one that might be fun to mess around with:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ribbon-tweeters/audiopur-pla92-6-planar-ri...

At 95db it is not much more efficient than my speakers (breaking the Parts Express guy's rule) but at $23 it might be fun to play with.

I studied the various setups out there and it seems they basically have a switch that allows selection of different caps to change the cross-over point.  Some have l-pads but one has jumpers that allows the selection of different resisters to change the padding if wide open is too much.

I am pretty confident I can build on for less than $75-$100 if this tweeter is any good.

It only goes to 35khz but I have noticed that a few of the commercial offerings go this high (or a little higher to 40Khz).

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/24/19 at 15:13:28

Well, I have a super tweeter now.  Crossed at 15Khz.  Goes up to 35khz before it starts to roll off to 40khz.  So not as high as the uber expensive ones.

I have to say, it does what Jeff describes.  More air (even though I have an dipole AMT tweeter), better definition across the spectrum and tighter bass.  Even the lowest bass registers are better.  Also, more shimmer to the treble and a little more detail brought out (like fingers sliding on strings).

I am not noticing any better soundstage though.  I was hoping for more front to back separation of instruments.  I do find it very particular to placement though so I will keep experimenting.

I'll also keep it going for a while to break in and also test for fatigue.

With all the other drivers off, you can hear the frequencies below the cross-over where it rolls off.

I'll measure it this weekend to see how it looks.

Overall a worthwhile experiment and maybe a keeper.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 04/24/19 at 18:02:53

IMHO, Soundstage is about timing. The more drivers you have, the more smearing you're going to have of that timing. That's why we are so often attracted to single driver or two driver crossover-less setups; they are better at retaining that timing.

Try some crazy placement with the SuperTweeters; backwards, firing off the ceiling, in front of the speaker bouncing off the baffle etc. At those crazy high frequencies, I'm betting that millimeters of movement can affect the timing, and finding the right focus point is going to be challenging...so you might as well go crazy and see what happens.

Mentioned above, why I feel SuperTweeters can add something:
I'm a firm believer that there is more than just the 20hz-20khz that we can sense. I don't believe modern science (and by modern most of this work was done in the early to mid 1900s mind you) has really given our senses a proper shakedown and measurement. Some things they can't fully explore with current science - for example, we don't fully understand how animals navigate/migrate 1000s of miles, or how a baby kangaroo knows to crawl up and into it's mothers pouch seconds after being born.

We are taught we have 5 senses right? Every grade schooler knows that!
But that's wrong!
What about your sense of time? Sense of balance? Sense of location and space in a room (kinesthetic sense)?  Do we have Magnetoception? I believe we do, as I've been able to sense magnetic pulses in extreme situations.

So, how do I feel this relates to audio?
In my home theater, I've had a subwoofer that would go down below 10Hz. Everyone scoffed at this - "there is no material down there" "I bet you can't even hear below 30hz" etc.  But I have seen a room full of people have a panicked "Fight or Flight" response to really deep bass during movie nights - nobody heard a thing, but everyone's eyes got wide and hearts were pumping with the Adrenalin dump.

At the high end of the spectrum, I believe the instruments projects microdetails and have harmonic information that informs us of timbre, size, and location. That's why people feel the bass is better when you do something in the upper frequencies - no acoustic instrument produces sound in only a narrow frequency band!

The more information we can extract, the more realistic and visceral the experience is!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/24/19 at 18:20:44

Yes I have been pointing them in every direction, varying the height, etc.  I may also try another resistor to see what happens when I tone it down a notch

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/24/19 at 19:23:35

I agree with LR on "senses" not being measured yet, experienced(sensed) none the less!

IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 04/24/19 at 22:44:54

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/24/19 at 23:15:15

I have to say, you guys have caught my interest in this thread. It’ll be interesting to hear how you guys come to your conclusions or a least settled feelings on these things.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/25/19 at 14:56:47

I built a mount that allows me to position the ST anywhere on my baffle.  I have tried above and on each side of the AMT.  

So far, the best soundstage and natural sound is with it directly to the right of the AMT and aligned exactly with the AMT as far as distance to my listening position.

On top seemed to unnaturally extend the soundstage up, to the left shrunk the soundstage.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/29/19 at 16:02:40

I had my son give the ST system a listen this weekend.  I didn't give him any prompting, but obviously he saw the STs so he knew I had a made a change.  He said right off the bat that he thought it was "more clear."

I left him alone for awhile to listen to his music and he later added that he thought a few songs were a little intense in the highs.

I measured using REW (I am a novice) but it didn't look like I was getting much lift over 20Khz.  I was definitely getting something from 16-20Khz.  Overall, the ST system line was flatter across the full range.  I don't know how that works from a physics standpoint, but I checked it a few times.  I had the mic at the listener position.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #33 - 04/30/19 at 19:00:51

By the By Tom, this week I'm finishing up house projects, so assuming I get everything done by my goal date of May 6th, I'll be here in Chicagoland and mostly available till my house sells.

One more CDApS meet before you oust the President?  :)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/30/19 at 19:47:47

I would love that.   I assume you will be forming a new chapter of CDApS?

Colorado Decware APreciation Society? Or DDApS - Denver Decware APreciation Society?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #35 - 05/01/19 at 00:02:18

Denver??!! My goodness no! The only people that live out there are old burnt out hippy chicks covered in turquoise jewelry and skateboard dudes that are pushing 40 and still riding 20" bicycles. All they do is sit around eating "suspect" brownies and listening to The Grateful Dead. Are you listening to me,The Grateful friggin Dead!!!
And if the Devil's Lettuce doesn't get it's hooks into you I'm sure the constant playing of John Denver songs will take you to your knees.
Remember that you will be 5280 feet above sea level, are you sure that you are willing to fall that far? Science is against you man, you are a flatlander!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/01/19 at 18:52:19

Last time I was over Donnie, I thought I saw a John Denver cassette tape and a tie dye shirt in his truck.  Assimilation may already have begun.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/01/19 at 19:30:06

So Lonely Raven is moving to Colorado and gets grief from so many. Yet, no one raised concerns that he wired his home electrical system (breakers to AC outlets) with audiophile wire? 😂🤣😂🤣

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 05/01/19 at 19:32:22

We dare not challenge El Presidente's audiophile wisdom.  As he has told me many a time, he is never wrong.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #39 - 05/02/19 at 18:27:15

I'm glad I stopped in to read this thread, you guys have me laughing my ass off over here.

I like the idea of the Colorado Decware Appreciation Society.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 05/08/19 at 22:07:45

OK, after a little time in the system, I am keeping the super tweeters.  

We'll see what the CDApS crew thinks when they give them a listen.  El presidente has dog ears.  He may start to howl.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #41 - 05/08/19 at 23:24:15

the AudioPur planar ribbon tweeters are now $18 each at Madisound.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 05/09/19 at 01:17:47

Pal,

Are you using them with your open baffle single driver speakers?  I'm wondering if some of the benefit is due to putting a tweeter into the mix since I would guess that the single drivers don't quite go there.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 05/09/19 at 01:39:17

My OB speakers aren’t single driver anymore.  I have Dayton AMT which is a nice dipole tweeter but it rolls off around 15khz.  The super tweet is crossed about there and adds to the high end.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 05/09/19 at 15:25:09

I see.  Do you have any idea of the roll-off?  Bob told me the ribbons in my HR1s extend to 40KHz but are 12dB down by then.  I'm trying to get a feel for the numbers since some of these "super tweeters" don't really extend further than what I've already got.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 05/09/19 at 15:28:34

Arch, I'd have to look at my measurements.  I would guess you're getting what I am getting.  I recall that I wasn't getting much beyond 22K.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 05/09/19 at 15:42:20

Thanks.  Just what I WANT to hear.  I'm trying to resist more changes for the moment.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 05/09/19 at 15:49:11

I'd resist you can.  My system is getting too complex.  I have kept the cross-overs minimal, but I now have three (four if you count the high limit for the subs in the Crowns).

At some point, I may go to just a single tweeter that has extended response, but I like the dipole effect of the AMTs.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 05/12/19 at 18:39:48

That was a nice test you did turning off everything but the super tweeter.  I'll try that sometime with my HR1s by disconnecting the lower speaker terminals.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 05/13/19 at 20:59:31

This from my CDApS thread report pertaining to the ST:

The first and most obvious experiment was the addition of the super tweeters.  I purposely put on a song had some high end to start.  The immediate response was it was too intense on the top end.  It was good to have some new ears to listen to this because I have spent a few weeks with them and my ears have adjusted somewhat.

But as the session went on and we listened with and without the super tweeters, we were all able to hear the benefits.  Some air on certain songs, and more clarity and focus throughout the frequency spectrum.

In one experiment we turned everything but the super tweeters off.  The first reaction is that they aren't adding very much, but they were definitely adding sound pressure to the room.  It kind of felt like you were coming down in an airplane and you want to pop your eardrums.

It was like if a song had a certain frequency it was pretty harsh, but other songs without that frequency actually sounded better.

We did measurements on our phones and its a fairly flat response to 20K.  I have done other measurements with a decent mic and REW and saw the same pattern.

So based on the feedback and my own feelings about them, I am going to try to pad them down a DB or two and see if the other benefits are still there without the ice pick in the ear on some songs.  Another option would be to look to a different tweeter with some extended response to see I get the same benefits.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print