Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 12:36:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prototype sound diffusers - pickup in Chicagoland (Read 5258 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Prototype sound diffusers - pickup in Chicagoland
03/19/19 at 06:57:49

Further cleaning/purging of the gear to help empty out the house.

These are prototype diffuses from when I was experimenting with different materials and assembly methods. The big one isn't well finished, but is to the correct math and measurements (and a big PITA to build).  The two "smaller" ones are poplar and would look amazing stained.

They are too big to ship really, so pickup, or possible delivery  in the Chicagoland area. Ping me if you are interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

The largest diffuser is a HUGE  33" x 48" by 12" deep QRD 29 (meaning it's a non-repeating prime 29 sound diffuser). It's very broadband, more than most anything else on the market. It's a prototype, so it's not perfect, but it's only $100 for a huge diffuser!  It's heavy, around 65 pounds. Made from Plywood, MDF, and dense polyfoam for the well bottoms. Glued up with special adheasive made specifically for this type of foam.

The Middle sized is an all hardwood (poplar) QRD 11 sound diffuser. it's roughly 36" x 24" x 6" and ready to be sanded and stained, or painted. $100

The smallest is also an all hardwood (poplar) QRD 7 + 1 diffuser, is roughly 25" x 24" x 6" Ready to sand and stain or paint. $100

Sorry for the poor lighting, but this one is just a slightly smaller version of the one above. Same materials.

Message me here, or feel free to E-mail me at LonelyRaven@hotmail.com

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: Prototype sound diffusers - pickup in Chicagoland
Reply #1 - 03/19/19 at 12:18:48

Nice work, i'm a big fan of using diffusion in my room and those prices are a steal as well.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 03/19/19 at 15:07:48

Thanks JD!

The bigger QRD 29 isn't built up to my standards, it was a pain to build, but it is the most effective and broad band of the bunch. The two Poplar ones I'm actually very happy with and was asked to make more to be displayed at Axpona last year, but had some family stuff that kept me from cranking out a dozen of them and maybe being a professional builder.

I'm hoping someday when my job situation settles, I'll be able to crank these out for myself, and locals (because they are too much to ship).

JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/19/19 at 16:12:51

I've got 12 prime 13 diffusers in my listening room with a few absorption panels that go in and out based on what is working etc.  
I tried making a feeble attempt and realized I needed to buy them not waste time in my buddy's shop injuring myself.  
I know most people find diffusers ugly but I think they are beautiful.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 03/19/19 at 16:27:23

And, IMHO, diffusers do far more for sound that absorption only.

But I agree - I have a folder on my computer filled with great diffuser installs for good looking ideas.

litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/19/19 at 17:13:54

Those are gorgeous!  I wish I was closer and that I had some disposable cashola.  Good luck with sale LR.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/20/19 at 22:17:31

Hi Lonely, I sent you an email regarding the diffusers and some of the absorption panels as well. Thanks! - Matt

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 03/21/19 at 16:17:05

Thanks for the heads up! I was out sick yesterday so I'm catching up on E-mails now. If I don't see it, I'll ping you here.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 03/23/19 at 20:46:54

Still available - I've had a couple no shows who've wasted my time, so diffusers are still available.

Also, how about a package deal. I'm pulling all the diffusers off my back wall, plus the three mentioned previously, plus one partially assembled one I still have in the workshop (poplar, all parts cut already) for $300!!

Hit me up if you're interested!  

doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/24/19 at 01:09:52

Hi Lonely Raven,
Did you see my email? I am interested in all of the diffusers you originally listed (plus these ones) and sent you my phone number to help sort out logistics for pick up. Please get back to me. I am also potentially interested in any abrobers that are left, but I think they've all sold. Please let me know what I can buy, so I can set up the uShip auction. I am happy to PayPal you the money right away to secure the panels while we wait for the courier to be arranged via uShip.
Matt

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 03/28/19 at 19:15:36

Sorry, I've been on a business trip, and didn't see your message till just now. I've responded, and all the diffusers are going to Matt, pending payment!

doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/28/19 at 19:22:49

Awesome, thank you! I'll be paying this weekend. Just let me know the info I requested in the email so I can generate the uShip quote. Thanks for coordinating this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print