Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 08:56:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: TURNKEY Mac Mini Music Server + Lots of Extras (Read 2822 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

FS: TURNKEY Mac Mini Music Server + Lots of Extras
03/06/19 at 17:01:37

Up for sale is my beloved, custom, turn-key Mac Mini based music streaming and storage system. This has been my project for the last 6 months. I have gotten this system to sound SO AMAZING! The Mac Mini has been uncannily reliable, beyond my expectations. It has not crashed on me since I have had it. I run it headless using a remote control utility that allows me to access it through my laptop as though it was connected to a display, keyboard and mouse. I have it placed very close to my DirectStream Sr. to reduce cable connection length.

The processor on this Mini is able to handle anything your throw at it. Audirvana+ and Amarra Luxe are such great pieces of software with regard to sound quality. They were built from the ground up with sound quality in mind. I like each for their own reasons. Audirvana+ has the better user interface in my opinion. Amarra may have the slight edge on SQ. Both are included with the system. Currently the Mac is running High Sierra. It is a little less bloated than the current 10.14 version of OSX. However, you are able to upgrade for free to a new version if you wish, but Audirvana+ in particular in incredibly stable under High Sierra and I literally use this computer for nothing other than serving music.

With the Intel i7 processor and 16GB or RAM, you can install and run Roon with no issues whatsoever, including the more demanding DSP functions.

I am selling this system to fund a new music server in the $5000 price range. I can honestly say that based on the others I’ve auditioned, it required a jump to this price range to beat this system the way it is configured.

The complete system and all of the included add-on components and accessories are listed below:

Mid-2011 Apple Mac Mini A1347

• Intel Core i7 2.7GHZ Processor

• 16GB DDR3 RAM

• 250 GB SSD (Operating System Drive)

• 1 TB SSD (Music Storage Drive)

• Value: $550

Tera Dak 12V 10A Power Supply

• Includes an internal power filtering module (See Pic) that is installed in place of the
    stock Switching Mode Power Supply Unit

• Value: $340

MiniPro RAID V2 FireWire 800, USB 3.0, eSATA 2-Bay Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure

• Includes (2) 1TB SSD Drives

• Can be connected via Firewire (better sound quality than USB and no external power supply needed) or USB

• Value: $300

Audiophile Grade Power Cable for LPS

• Value: $50

AudioQuest Cinnamon Firewire 800 Cable

• Value: $65

Audirvana+ 3 – Audiophile Music Player Software – Installed & Licensed

• V3.5 will be released soon and upgrade will be free!

• License does not expire and no recurring fees (unlike Roon)

• When used with Audirvana Remote app (well worth the $9.99 app fee), it makes for a
    wonderful music streamer and Server.

• Streams Tidal AND Qobuz

• Value: $79.00

Amarra Luxe – Audiophile Music Player Software by Sonic Studio– Installed & Licensed

• This software, along with Audirvana+ is considered the best audio
    streaming/playback/Music serving software for sound quality.
    Streams Tidal AND Qobuz

• Value: $99.00

+ Bonus (PM for details)

TOTAL CURRENT STREET VALUE: $1,478

SALE PRICE: $950 + FREE SHIPPING to CONUS

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: FS: TURNKEY Mac Mini Music Server + Lots of Extras
Reply #1 - 03/06/19 at 17:13:31

This is a great deal Jeff.  A complete setup for a grand.

I have a good audiophile quality power cable for the LPS to the wall socket, but do you have a better cable running from the LPS to the Mac?  I am still using the one that came with the Tera Dak.

Thanks

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/06/19 at 23:23:22

My Soundsmith The Voice cartridge puts out 2.12mv. I can run it directly into my ZTPre but I prefer running it through my ZSTAGE and then my ZTPRE.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/19 at 05:59:48

Quote:
I have a good audiophile quality power cable for the LPS to the wall socket, but do you have a better cable running from the LPS to the Mac?  I am still using the one that came with the Tera Dak.

Hey Pal,
Yeah, I’m doing exactly what you are.  I use a good quality power cable from wall to LPS, then the DC cable that was included with the Tera Dak which seems to actually be a very nice cable.  It really sounds great.  

Jadis JA-30 MKII//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205//EMM Labs DS-EQ1//DS Audio DS-003//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Pipedreams Reference 21 Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/19 at 05:33:29

SOLD!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print