04/16/24 at 12:14:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Hum (Read 1762 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

The Hum
03/08/19 at 21:17:32

I was ready to pull the trigger on a ZP3, full bore with all the extra’s but in reading the posts on this forum I have to ask how pervasive the hum is? I really don’t want to drop $2,000 for another aggravation. It seems as though a lot of people experience it. Should I be concerned?

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Re: The Hum
Reply #1 - 03/08/19 at 21:40:15

I run my ZP3 into my ZTPRE and no more hum (barely noticeable) than if connected to any other components (DAC, home theatre, other phono stage).  I just sent it in for the 25th Anniversary upgrade.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/08/19 at 22:05:35

It's really gonna depend on your setup,..   what kind of cart are you using,  what is the ZP3 going into,  a pre,  an amp,...  what is the sensitivity of the amp?    
  I at first was running the ZP3 with a LO-~.03mv cart > SUT >  ZP3 > Pre > amp w/ higher sensitivity (~.7V for full output),..    this combo did exhibit a little noticeable hum when I turned the volume up.

Now I run into a Decware amp with a much lower sensitivity (everything else the same)  and the hum is all but gone,..   It really depends on your gain staging.   If your running a typical MM cart w/~5mv output I wouldn't worry about it.   Seems to be more of an issue when you have to make up gain due to a low output cart.  My experience at least..

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/19 at 23:20:06

I’ve got a Thorens 124 with a Goldring cart. I guess at first it would be running into a Teac UD-503 as a preamp to Zen 25th Anniv amp. I’m planning on changing the current pre to a CSP3-25 Anniv or a ZTpre

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/08/19 at 23:59:48

I've dealt with ZP3 hum and what finally really got rid of it was routing my ICs away from my power outlets.  Being near power cords didn't matter but the outlets sure did.  There is slight hum compared to my digital channel but not worth worrying about at the level it is.  It becomes "audible," without music playing, only at very high volume.  So yeah, I'd say the ZP3 is hum free -- but the total setup might not be without some effort.  I think some have had issues with WiFi interference too.  I keep that function off on my router.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/19 at 01:05:42

The only time I've ever experienced a hum with my zp3 is when components were not set up correctly i/e too close/interfering with each other. When set up correctly it is the my favorite decware component.
I'm looking into uprgrading it.

JD

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/19 at 15:13:57

It sounds like the only way to know is buy it and try it. Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/09/19 at 18:25:39

I think that the ZP3 is quiet, although they can possible ship with, or develop a fault in shipping -- that Steve will readily repair.  The hum that I and some others have reported from time to time is a "fault" in the set up of the system.  As I mentioned above, cable routing was, in my case, the key.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/19 at 15:57:41

I pulled the trigger one yesterday. Full monte, beeswax caps and bypass. I don’t know exactly how that works but I just loaded it up. Paduak wood to match my Anniversary amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/10/19 at 17:38:16

Awesome! The waiting begins. . . but it will be worth it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/10/19 at 19:10:41

Showme.  That's great!  Do you have a pre to put between the ZP3 and Zen25?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/10/19 at 21:19:53

At the moment i’m Using a Teac UD-503 as a DAC/preamp. Seems to work well and I really like the remote feature. I do babe plans next purchase either a  CSP-3-25th or a ZTPRE. Most likely at the moment i’m lewning towards the ZTPRE with remote.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/10/19 at 21:29:32

The reason I asked was that the ZP3 generally won't put out enough voltage to bring Steve's amps to full power.  I thought that could be a problem with a sub-3 watt amp.  Sounds like you're covered.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/11/19 at 17:32:45

Archie, thanks for the heads up. I sure hope they work out great.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/09/20 at 02:33:35

I just started playing my new VPI Prime. I can unequivocally say that the hum in my ZP3 was my inexpensive Audio Technica turntable. Nice and quiet now from cloud 9!!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Gijs van Hoogstraten
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 01/21/23 at 16:22:42

Hi everyone,

i thought I’d share some of my hum experience here, since I hooked up my brand new zmc1 and zp3 to my zen torii mk iv. First of all, the whole rig sounds amazing Grin!

But I hooked up the zp3 first without zmc1 and turntable and it was dead quiet. However, when hooking up the rest there was some hum and I solved it by connecting the ground of the zmc1 to the ground of the zp3 and my turntable is grounded to the zmc1. it seems the zmc1 chassis is eager to pickup some surrounding signals. Now, I hear some hum if my torii’s volume is past 2/3 way open and no music playing.

Hope this can be helpful!

Cheers from the Netherlands,

Gijs

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print