Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 09:12:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Silver Plated, Teflon jacket Zen Styx like wire! (Read 9459 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Silver Plated, Teflon jacket Zen Styx like wire!
02/23/19 at 23:30:42

This is the raw wire similar to the Zen Styx stuff.

It's multi-stranded, 8AWG, silver plated, cold forged/extruded, with a PTFE (Teflon) jacket Milspec wire. This stuff is literally used in satellites and military aircraft. I've used it as speaker wire, heavy duty wire in guitar cabinets, and even wired audiophile outlets in my home with it! I've sold it to hotrod builders and off-roaders who wanted the best.

Sound wise, it's super neutral and "not there". I've done 30' runs without degradation of sound!

I'll cut and ship a 40' length to you for $175
I can also do four 10' lengths (for speaker wire pairs)  for the same.

Message me if you need custom lengths or have questions.
I'll keep selling this till it's all gone! I've been hoarding it for too long. Smiley

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Silver Plated, Teflon jacket Zen Styx like wire!
Reply #1 - 02/25/19 at 01:54:29

Great wire. Sorry to see it go.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/19 at 03:45:05

This should make a fantastic speaker cable.

Recently I took 4 lengths of Z Styx that I bought a couple of years ago from a member and decided to change the ends, they were a little sloppy.  At the same time I decided to put a mild twist in the conductors and put expandable sleeve on the runs and shrink sleeve on the ends.

I terminated the speaker ends with CMC silver plated bananas.  I was reluctant to solder these as I wanted a more secure connection than the grub screws gave, so I used some Mundorf Supreme solder that I had, pain to work with but it worked out well.

On the amp end, after much deliberation, I bought a set of Furutech FT-211G spades.  No worries about getting a solid connection with the grub screws in these connectors.  I was easily able to get enough torque on the grub screw so that when I checked the contact point of the cable looked like a cold crimp solder.  Amazing connectors.

I was told that it would take 150 hours or more for the spades to burn in and the first 10 hours had me a little worried.  After 25 hours the cables disappeared!  Closest thing to no cables that I’ve had yet.

Thought this might help if anyone is wondering if this cable is a performer.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 02/26/19 at 18:38:07

Very cool info!

And I agree, when you keep it simple, the cables do disappear.

metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/19 at 22:26:12

I use a run of LR's bulk wire as speaker cable. I am using them with silver set-screw bananas. I really like them, they do indeed disappear. The set screws don't have as much torque I would like, so I am still deciding how to address that issue.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/27/19 at 00:09:37

Hey met7,
That’s the dilemma that I had with connectors that use set screws until I tried the Furutech.  The set screws on the Wireworld silver angled connectors were terrible.  The CMC were actually pretty good but I would have like to have more torque.  The only way I could solve that issue was to solder the conductor.  I have some reticence about soldering the conductor but I felt that it was the better trade off.

I also hate, hate , hate to spend $100.00 per connector as in WBT.  Not saying that they’re not good just that spending that much on a connector makes me feel like an idiot.  

The Furutech are a 1/4 of the price and IMO much better.  Definitely the construction and machining is way better.  Take Five Audio has them on for $128.00/4 Gold Plated, not a fan of Rhodium.  I was concerned about putting a gold plated connector on silver plated wire.  But my UFO-25 binding posts are gold plated so why not?  Anyway I need not have worried.

Was so impressed that I just bought 4 Furutech binding posts for my speakers, and I managed to get them at the same time that there was a 20% off sale.  My Omegas are the early S3HOXRS that came with nickel plated generic posts.

The only other option you have is to buy crimp on bananas but you need a good crimper IMO.   I saw a 10 ton hydraulic for $50.00 on amazon. That didn’t appeal to me either.

So I’m happy with the Furutech connectors and I ended up buying 4 spades and 4 binding posts for much less than 4 WBT connectors.

Once I get it all put together I’ll post the results.

IP Logged
patchmark
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/27/19 at 02:23:00

Hey JOMAN,
I found those ones you were talking about and I can't see on the information that they fit 8AWG, unless I was looking at the wrong ones. Any help with confirming this.
This would be awesome as I would't have to get killed on the exchange rate as everything I try to get is USD.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/27/19 at 14:26:27

If you are looking at the Ft-211G, yes they fit 8AWG.  My cable is the ZStyx and it was a nice fit.  I had to get a lot of torque on the set screws because they had to go deep enough to allow a covering collar to slide over.  So I took my time and gradually applied the torque, don’t be heavy handed when applying the last bit of torque, you want to feel the “feed back” and make sure that the Allan Key is always seated well into the set screw.

Your choice is Gold or Rhodium.  I have not had Rhodium in my system and didn’t want to experiment.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/19 at 14:49:38

One other thing... the set screw can stick up a little, the collar I.D. Has a little play allowing for that.   You might want to check that out before starting the assembly.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/27/19 at 14:49:51

Eric sent me some of this wire and I am using it bare. It works great. Almost like no cable at all.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
patchmark
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 02/27/19 at 16:00:45

Joman,
Thanks very much. I have also ordered some of this wire from Eric.

IP Logged
patchmark
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/27/19 at 16:02:39

I would guess that it would be the same for the banana plugs as the spades.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 02/27/19 at 17:10:59

Just an update, I've sold about 180' of this wire, and I'm already nearing the end of the spool. I'll measure out how much is left, but I probably only have one or two more 40' pulls left in it.

Everyone to ordered, I shipped out last night!

JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/27/19 at 23:20:18

patchmark,

Haven’t work with the banana plugs, but I don’t imagine that they would be any different.

Like Rivieraranch I used run the ZStzx bare with very good results, its just that it was a bit of a pain getting the 8 gauge into the binding posts so I decided to try spades.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 02/28/19 at 00:34:06

If you can find pin type connectors, it may be worth it. If they are cheap, then they just break off in the binding post.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Joseph
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 03/03/19 at 23:07:24

Hi do you ship to Australia?Looking for a 40' length? regards Jo

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 03/06/19 at 20:32:44

Hey Jo, I'll see if I can do that. I sent some to Canada and was shocked at how much shipping was.

Message me at:  LonelyRaven@hotmail.com

Since I don't believe you have enough posts to send PMs, and we'll talk about it. I'll need your address for starters.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 03/07/19 at 13:39:03

Looks like I have roughly 120' of wire left, way more on the spool than I thought. Hit me up either here in the forums or via E-mail above if anyone needs some!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 03/10/19 at 21:16:58

Last 85' feet left. Message me if you need some, but note, I'll be traveling for work all week and won't be able to ship till next Saturday the 16th at the earliest.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 03/19/19 at 06:47:42

45' feet left, get the last of the spool for $175!  

If you're in the Chicagoland area, I'm also posting my prototype diffusers and name brand sound absorber panels.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #20 - 03/28/19 at 21:26:56

email sent LR....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 03/28/19 at 21:45:38

Got it!

Consider all this wire sold, it looks like maddog is cleaning me out!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print